Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Danielle: peek-a-boo anticipation

INsubong. Trad multipitch. Sunday Nov. 9th

Hey folks. (Alec, Wes, Erica, Kat, Deirdre)
How about Insubong multipitches on Sunday. We set out early. I have a double trad rack. If Wes is in, he can bring his too. Do we split up into 2 teams? or can we find a 6th and split into 3 teams. I am sure I have enough gear...
I have never been to Insubong. We could take Wes' advice and sleep in the badminton courts (tents, sleeping bags, stoves...).
oooohhh. I am excited to put that trad gear to use!

and anyone else that is interested... join in!

Danielle
Unread 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
peace

Of course, you split into 2 or more teams depending on racks and leaders. . . then you take great leading shots down and across at each other. All the while while you're at the belays you are taking notes on the routes. Then you bundle all the notes and photos together and send them to me
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Jiri Jammer

Danielle, I would love to join as a 6th person, I have no trad rack and limited trad experience, but trad excites me.
Unread 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey I would like to do some trad climbing at Insubong this weekend. I brought my full trad rack with me and would love to actually use it. How would I get to Insubong from Seoul?
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:06 PM

Ok... we'll have to make a plan. I am out of order on saturday, but sunday morning... we go for it. When the others confirm... we can make some real plans. So far, no shortage of gear... just need a time and a place to meet.

I have never been to Insubong, so directions would be greatly appreciated. I am semi-familiar with the Seoul subway. At least I have a map... will this help me at all?

Lets just hope the weather holds out...
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:13 AM
verticalcult

From Suyu Staion get out near the Lotteria/ KFC and go to the bus-stop island. Bus number 120 is the best option by far. But a taxi to "Do-Seon-Sa/도선사" will still only cost you 5-6000won and be a lot quicker than all getting a bus and then another taxi. Taxi's from "Greenpark" [where the 120 stops just near the Bukhansan National Park Enterance / O2 gym] DO NOT USE A METER. They charge a flat fee of an outrageous 5000won for the 5 minute taxi ride up to Do-Seon-Sa...yes you could take the Buddha bus from Greenpark (it's free) but you might need to wait in a long line, a long time. Similarly if you are in a rush to get down, the taxis going down from Do-Seon-Sa only go as far as Greenpark -5000won again. Then you need to get a bus or another taxi back to Suyu Station. It's usually worth splitting a taxi back to Greenpark though if you have 4 people (taxis usually wait until they have 4 people before they will depart - you might be sharing with some other people!).
Finally though many do camp Sat night and climb early Sunday morning -you must have a mysterious permit to do so. IT IS NOT A GENERAL PUBLIC CAMP GROUND, and fines apply. Usually only registered clubs and organizations have this special permit KOTR does not - sorry!
From the (new) ranger station walk up the opposite slope between the porta-loos and the Ranger Station until you find a poorly marked foot-trail that tends leftish...it's not easy to find the start of it, so ask some local climbers for help to get there (maybe say "big slab").
Two 60m ropes joined will let you rap from the top in one go, but otherwise you'll have to do it it 2 raps with a mid-point rap station. The rap-off point atop Insu is very well marked by a line up of people and a safety line that gets you "near" to the rap-anchors.
Sunday can be very busy there so bring a helmet and lots of patience...but it is a stunning place to climb!
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
peace

Busses run from all nearby subway stops to Ui-dong. . . Suyu is good as any and the posts for Insu and the Insu boulders list the bus numbers. . . 109 and 151 --both blue-- go there from across town: Seoul Station, Sinyongsan, City Hall, Cheongdeok Palace.

From the stop head up the road to across from where the blue and green busses park. . . you can catch the shuttle to the park/trailhead. If the line is daunting, catch a taxi. . . you'll regret walking when it costs a couple bucks tops.

The ranger hut has topos if you don't, but many of the climbing shops near 02 World have the free Insu route guide. . . Sunday they'll be a billion people there. . . get up early or wait in line! Lots of groups go there Sat PM and camp, getting on the routes early. . . often in groups of 4 or more. . . Definitely wear a helmet-- more than one person has been killed here from rock (or other stuff) fall. Some commemorative plaques remember some of them.

This is probably the best online route guide. It's in korean, but pretty easy to follow. . . 크랙=crack (interpretation varies), 슬랩=slab, 페이스=face, 위주=chimney, 오버행=overhang, 인공등=aid, 볼트길=bolt ladder, 퀵드로= quickdraw (usually folowed by the #) 프렌드= friends (camalots will work ). You can click on individual routes for more specifics. Print out the route(s) you want and go! (You might have a few back-ups in case the routes are backed up!!)

have FUN!!!
Unread 11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
verticalcult

Danielle, if you are looking for a great classic route that isn't too hard, Chouinard B, a route made by Yvon Chouinrad himself, is a great climb. 5.8 trad (slick rising traverse with #1 cam pro undercling on pitch 2). Chouinard A is a bit harder 5.10a maybe and needs some majorly big cams to pro it. These grades seem a bit sandbagged to me, but then again I'm a whimp and kinda wonky on trad/ cracks/ slab.
Unread 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM
send train

Whoa, hold on! I may need a Korean climbing history lesson here. Did you just say Yvon Chouinrad FA'd stuff in Korea?!
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks Jake and Sonia for the advice and directions... really!
We are still hammering out plans...