Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

Unread 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Halla Hanger

Meeted and Greeted/Met and Gret

What a fantastic Fall Meet and Greet it was. Perfect pocket of weather late Saturday/Sunday made Monday in Seoul feel like mid-winter. Great climbs, amazing food, splendid company and a pretty rocking campfire. Long live the Meet and Greet.

A really big thanks to the folks responsible for dragging the empties and what-have-yous from the fire site. Despite pain-wracked temples and foggy memories of 151, not a trace was left by early Sunday afternoon. Well done!

Wanted to put it out there that the 'official garbage bags' can be bought from the supermarkets closer to the train station, if not at the minbaks themselves. I'm not sure how, but certainly these must aid the garbage collection process, or at least help fund it. Next time, why doesnt each party stop in and grab a 25litre bag for the weekend? Not sure how to ask for one in korean though....

My least favorite part about Ganhyun (and one of my very few complaints) is the loose garbage stacked along the roadsides. We all felt how windy it became on Saturday, seeing a beer can flowing with the streams current, piles of open boxes or even clusters of closed bags destroys ambience. What Ganhyun seems to need is proper garbage bins, animal proof, with lids, with regular collection. KOTR sponsored garbage bins at the campsites? Until then, I noticed 'healthy wonju' garbage stations down the road.

Keep on rocking, see you out there!
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
What Ganhyun seems to need is proper garbage bins, animal proof, with lids, with regular collection. KOTR sponsored garbage bins at the campsites?

Ganhyeon is my favorite crag in Korea! I'm willing to put time and money into this mission. Once the perfect fall temps have aged into winter chill I'd be happy to go out to Ganhyeon and invest a weekend or two into some type of garbage maintenance project. I guess the first step is communicating with the minbak/storefront owners about what they would allow?

And... a big thanks to all that cleaned up on the beach. My empty whiskey bottle was among the trash that was collected

Last edited by gt29905 : 10-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not in Kansas anymore

that it was Gabe... Had a great time, can't wait for the spring M&G...hopefully that won't be the next time i see some of you
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Seorak Sender

Had a great time at the M&G, thanks for the motivation to go and all the open arms when I arrived. Hope to see ya'll around.

Justin
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM
verticalcult

Yeah it turned out great after all. Friday night was all fun when the tornado hit with horizontal rain at 2aam. Jana you are one tough young lass!
Wanted tosay thanks again to everyone who helped clean the place, who took time to help newbies get in some climbing and shared skills such as belaying and multi-pitching etc. Also I want to mention that Jin-hyuk (head of the local Bolt Rock Climbing Gym at Wonju) said overall he and other Koreans were pretty impressed by how well we all look after each other each time he sees us at the crags. Also very appreciative of those folks like Tyler, Heidi, Qasim and so on who take the time to try a bit of conversation with the KOreans (I know there are many more of you, these dudes just popped to mind now). Maybe we can ask him how we could go about getting something set up in the way of bins etc?
Unread 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Snow Leopard

The KMPL would most certainly be willing to help out with a trash bin project. We may be able to provide financial support, and of course people power. If Ganhyeon is in real need of bins, KOTR - as always - has KMPL support.