Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 07-16-2004, 08:14 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Does anyone have any information about rock climbing gyms in Seoul (preferably in the Bundang area)? Where are they? How big are they? How much?

Thanks
-eric
Unread 08-16-2004, 06:01 PM
climbergrrl

Hey there,

Sorry that I don't know of any gyms in the Bundang area, however, you might try out the excellent gyms at Oksu-dong (subway lines #3 and #1 - Song Jung Joon's climbing center and my personal fave), Daerim-dong (ACE - #2 and #7), and Jaegi-dong (line #1 near Cheongyangni - I can't remember the name). Also, heard there is a new gym going up at Shindorim, but don't know much about it. All of these gyms are great though, and the climbers are amazing and so warm-hearted. They are all about the same size (the gyms, well, the climbers too, I guess :), ACE has some indoor climbing available, there is a great outdoor wall near Oksu...they run from 50,000-70,000 won a month.

Good luck!

On a similar note, I am moving to Yongin in a week and don't know of any gyms there. (I know, I know, what am I thinking moving away from the climbing, but it's a uni job...) Can anyone help me out? I think the closest ones may be Suwon and Pyeongtaek. Alternatively, does anyone know how to build a solid climbing wall? My apartment is 18 pyong, so maybe I could set up my own. Please...help! I need to satisfy my addiction! :)
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:01 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Thanks for the beta, climbergrrl!
Unread 08-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Seorak Sender

Just to add to the endless search for artificial walls in Seoul vicinity...

There's a way cool outdoor wall in GWANGMYEONG-shi (very nearnear Anyang... its a ten minute walk from the subway station at GWACHEON. Head out of the left side exit (of 2 exits) adn go across the ramp in front of you outside the statio..this leads up and across a brideg which crosses the river..after crossing the river go straight 3 sets of lights and then take a right. You can see small hill with trees from here. Its up against that in the far side of the large park. Its pretty high and brand new by teh looks, so you can see it from a ways off. (good luck following my directions...) I found it with scant help, and I cant find my arse with a flashlight, so...)

Its BIG (the biggest ive seen, though im from NZ...) with big crazy overhangs that go up as far as anything natural ive seen. no cost that ive encountered and helpful and talented koreans about to help out..

- Stay Vertical
Unread 08-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Seorak Sender

you said SUWON.. BUT WHERE IS IT!!! AHH!!. nobody can tell me! tried the stadium, and some other place.. HELP!!

no one seems to know about anything in Bundang...too many babies here man...
Unread 08-26-2004, 11:19 PM
climbergrrl

Hey there,

there are two indoor gyms in Suwon, one (Suwon Climbing Center - check it out at sclimb.com) is near the East Suwon Kim's Club and Galleria in Gwonseon-dong, Paldal-gu. It's 50,000 won a month or 5,000 per visit. The other is near Suwon Station, I think, but I'm not sure.

As for the outdoor wall at Anyang, which is right beside Suwon, isn't it at Anyang Stadium? Haven't been yet, but I'll try to check it out soon.

Cheers!
Unread 09-19-2004, 01:49 AM
Seorak Sender

Hey, im trying to find work in south korea, and hopefully find somewhere close to a climbing wall or something better, climbing is second to breathing for me. And i was wondering if you could tell me some areas that i should be aiming for. Any help would be very greatfull. Im in the uk and lookking to come out in a couple of months tim. hope you can help. my email is [email protected]
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:22 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Welcome to the site creativerob!

There is soooo much climbing in korea, but picking a city where a lot of climbing is accessible within an hour is a little tricky.

In your post you said you were looking for something close to a climbing wall. If you mean artificial gym, most large cities have them, and some small cities have surprisingly nicer ones! You can guarantee access to indoor climbing in the following cities: Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Incheon, Gwangju, Daejeon, and Suwon. There are others but I can't say.

If you are looking for a city that has good rock climbing nearby (1 hour or so) then your choices might diminish, but not too much.

Seoul has Insubong and a few other peaks basically in the city. Plenty of trad/multi-pitch routes there. If you live in Seoul, you really never have to go far to hit the rock. Seoul is especially ideal if you like trad (and crowds) and can do without some good sport climbing. (Some of the climbs at Insubong are sport climbs, but most people don't go there for those.) Also, if you are in Seoul, you can get to places like ganhyeon and sokcho for sport climbing relatively easy.

If trad/multi-pitch climbing is not your cup of tea, then the possibilities open up a bit more. Daegu, Daejeon, Busan, Ulsan and Jeonju offer great sport climbing in the vicinity. Busan has awesome sport climbing in the city (Daeryuk Bong). Not too far from Jeonju is soksal bawi, halmae bawi and Mun bawi. Fun stuff. Ulsan has munsu. And daegu has some climbing in and near the city.

So that's a list of the big cities and the climbing nearby. If you find a job you're interested in but don't know if there is climbing nearby, just post a question in the forum. I am sure someone will know what's going on in that area. Also, I am sure I have left off very obvious climbing areas, but these are the places that pop into my mind.

Good luck and hope to see you on the rocks!
eric

Unread 09-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Seorak Sender

Any recommendations on an indoor gym in Seoul that would be open weekends? I'd be coming up from Cheonan for the day so a drop in fee would be the best way to go for me.
Thanks guys,
Jenny