Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 07-31-2005, 12:19 PM
peace

I've noticed a lot of people on this sight are new to climbing. Korea could be a great place to learn-- lots of rock as well as convenient plastic. Still, the language barrier at the gym and often poor information from locals and expats with spotty knowledge and dodgy practices make it difficult sometimes to get good information.

I just returned from the US and brought a couple of copies of Betty and the Silver Spider, Welcome to Gym Climbing, a comic-book format instructional guide from Sharpend Publishing (my brother's company).

Latta Outdoors describes it : This 1st book in the Doktor Krank series represents a whole new way to learn about rock climbing. Written by mountain guide & AMGA board member Craig Luebben & illustrated by climbing artist Jeremy Collins, the series is destined for universal acclaim.In this one, the reader joins Betty and Moe as they venture into the world of gym climbing, gaining the know-how required to ascend the plastic testpiece, Silver Spider. Along the way there's the introduction to knots, belaying, toproping, leading,bouldering, gym etiquette, safety measures, techniques, & more. The information is dispensed with an ample dose of humor. Collins' insightful eye captures the nuances of gym climbing that will inform & entertain the novice climber as well as the veteran. Four-time World Cup champion Robyn Erbesfield-Raboutou has high praise for this book, saying it's "...a must for my students. It combines laughter with important information in a wholly original manner." Can't get much better than that!

Anyway, anyone who is interested can PM me with any questions. Betty retails for US $12.95, so I figure W12,000 including postage is a deal.