Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking Coming back to Korea. Gyms in Ilsan?

Hey folks. On my way back to Korea for round two, but wondering about climbing gyms in my new city. Anyone familiar with any gyms in the Ilsan area. I've heard tell of a gym called the Olympic Climbing Gym, or something like that, and was wondering if it's still up and running. Anyone know of anymore plastic caves in the Ilsan area? Thanks.

Also, how's the snow in the Insubong area? Bouldering possible, or is it caked in hard snow as usual.

Cheers,
Dave
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:49 PM
thread killer

werd
Unread 01-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Mark it eight, dude...

Talking

werd? werd??? Big K.L., throw a brutha a bone. I needs the infomashun!

so you still on the rope, or have you been bouldering? which massive power set you working on right now (i would guess the plastic pulling)?

anyway, since the broken leg (october) i haven't climbed but once, and that after, like, four strong months in korea and india. very weak, very sad, but stoked to enter spring with some punch in the old forearms...in korea...we'll see.

america makes me fat. or is that phat? no, i'm sure it's fat...
Unread 02-01-2007, 12:21 AM
thread killer

Yo brotha from anotha,

Yore seriosly comin back? I told ya that rok was addictin. As fo the lowdown on hot spots in ILLsan, I haven't heard much. Some gs once dropped the name Olympic park gym and I met the manager awhile back, but I don't have any digis at the moment. I'll keep my ear on the street and notify you once my celly starts exploding.

b-team

and yo, I don't have any bones to spare; they all went to my new ice in my ears
Unread 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
climbergrrl

DAVE!!!!

Yay! I'm so glad you're coming back to Korea! O2 bouldering is just not as fun without you (and Paul and Kim-lee, of course ). We should have a reunion when you get back. The bouldering at the 'Bong is good as ever, this winter's been pretty mild, plenty of winter bouldering to be had (at least, that's what the addicts who still boulder in the cold tell me), I got a FREE bouldering pad from the best little brother in the world (thanks, Sung-ho!) and my new digs are really close, so if you want to go and need a pad/spotter, let me know when you get back.

Also, there IS a good gym in Ilsan, that's where the young superhero Ji-hwan trains, as well as numerous other really nice climbers. I think it may only be open on MWF though, I'll try to find more info. for you.

Glad to hear you're coming back...

Cheers!
Dee

Last edited by climbergrrl : 03-13-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
wurg hom

New climber at the Paju English village

Hi, I'm working at the paju english village and is close to Ilsan.I'm a really kean climber and used to climb about 3 times a week. Can someone please get the address for the climbing wall in Ilsan.
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Mark it eight, dude...

the gym is near madu station, if that's what you mean. are you talking about an outdoor wall? thing is, the gym, so i hear, is only open M-W-F, 3-7 -- exactly my working hours. you can find the approximate address in the "gym" area on this site. do you know of any others in the area? this lack of gyms around Ilsan is killing me, presumably as it's killing you...
Unread 03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
peace

no lack of gyms in Ilsan

just a lack of gyms posted on this site!!

I've added info for the gym that was listed, including their website.

Other gyms to try. . . sorry for my rough interpretations

덕양어울림누리 인공암장
--which roughly translates to the Deokyang Harmonious World Artificial Climbing Wall, in Goyang City, Deokyang-gu at the Deokyang Harmonious World Athletic Center, across from the 국림암센터 (National Rock Center?) which like the Ilsan Center, is run by my friend Kim Hyun-Jung 031-960-0314, 010-7756-5625 Ms. Kim was a very competitve climber in the region (and a former Math teacher). She speaks decent English and has travelled around the world to compete and climb.

SK Wall Climbing Center looks very impressive on their website --it's the showcase gym for the climbing wall company of that name (and not related to me)
It's address is Goyang City, Ilsan-gu, Madu-1 Dong 903-2ho
National Rock Center contact: Jeon Byeong-hwa 031-906-8986

WHEN YOU GO: take your camera, take your notebook. . . post your findings on KOTR so future Ilsanites, bros and sisses can find the gyms easily! Look around for bus stops-- what exit is it on the subway?!

BTW, I've said much of this before, but it's worth repeating! I get this info by looking it up. I don't mind doing the leg-work for someone new to Korea who needs a little help, BUT if you have been here a bit, can struggle through the language (as I do). . . then google in Korean! (try 인공암장 and your city/dong/gun. . .) Kim Yong-ki (the man who wrote the guidebooks) has a list of gyms that makes it's way on other sites. There's a gym directory in the back of magazine Climber. Man and Mountain used to publish an annual guide-- not sure if they still do or if Mountain does. SK Wall and Discovery Wall, the two main Climbing Wall companies in Korea have photos, links and information on the walls they have built.

Last edited by skinsk : 03-13-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
wurg hom

Shot for the info

Going to check the walls out tomorrow. Thank you. Will aslo be looking for some boulders over the weakend.
Unread 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Ayeishi!

I've been to the Olympic sports centre. The wall's pretty cool. Quite high though, for lack of ropes. I found the holds a little greasy, too. Kim Hyung Jung is super chill. I've only met her a couple of times but she's really friendly and her English is quite good. Her husband is the photographer for climbing magazine. Also a really great guy. The centre has all sorts of things in it, squash, swimming pool....It's really huge and modern, so look for a big, shiny building. Good luck!