Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Accidents & Injuries

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
verticalcult

I'm in the wars

I guess it's just my turn to play the victim....at least this time the climbing went really well, and thanks to a super cool and friendly granfather dude, even the approach and walk out was very good. The pox that plagued us this time was a hive full of over anxious roid-rage driven wasps (말벌 in Korean) that somehow figured I was a way preferable practice pin-cushion than Josh. Soooooo unfair! He missed out on all the free accupuncture whilst I got enough to stay fit and "qi/ gi/ 기" balanced for a lifetime. I feel sorry for Josh....he must feel rather outcast and spurned, but hey that's the way the wasps are. They obviously sting (repeatedly) only the best.
So if anyone's thinking of getting their trad on and climbing 케른B Ridge in 칼기산 near Yeong-dong County (영동군), just be aware that you too might be a quality person worthy of the pricks (of wasps!). They reside in the mid section of the chimney on pitch 2, just near the only bolt you'll find (why bolt a chimney? I dunno either....I guess that is what made the wasps there so angry, eh? Wasps being huge on PURE trad only).
Luckily I found out that I'm not anaphalaxically allergic to stings, (I did, in the name of good science repeat the sting test some 8 or 9 times, just to confirm the results) and apart from some itching, numbness, pain and general red swelling I feel so much stronger as a climber, and as a a person for that experience. I honestly hope that you too can be a part of this new adventurous twist on trad climbing with stingy things. Tradical!
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Tim

I have been thinking about this possibility a lot lately. When climbing i often wonder if anyone ever stumbles across hives or nests and what the proper reaction is. Yesterday, I got stung on the bottom of my foot while walking through the field of Sinban, and I thought, "damn, that hurts, but at least i wasn't climbing." but hell, you make it sound fun
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Jiri Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP
I have been thinking about this possibility a lot lately. When climbing i often wonder if anyone ever stumbles across hives or nests and what the proper reaction is. Yesterday, I got stung on the bottom of my foot while walking through the field of Sinban, and I thought, "damn, that hurts, but at least i wasn't climbing." but hell, you make it sound fun

For real! My god. Years ago my friend stepped on a nest when we were playing in the woods. We ran all the way back home and they were still chasing us into the house. My friend had hundreds of stings and I didnt have one. He's the one who stepped on the nest and if I remember right I might have ran faster. If you hit nest climbing you could be killed. Might be smart to pack wasp killer in your pack. Holy crap.

How big was the nest? Did you chuck it down the mountain? How many stings? Any on your face? Glad you made it!
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
peace

I admit I've been stung in Colorado Springs and at Yongso (there are active hives on top near the falls (two bees got me!) and also near the second pitches on the right. (There are also poisonous snakes: 독사뱀!)

While I'm not allergic to bees, when I post a new area I often state that their are bees or hornets (or I add it to posts) because while it's a big pain in the ____ for most of us, it can be deadly for some. . . Eric has a section for "safety concerns". . . here's an example in a post for Shilli:
Quote:
Safety Concerns
The rock seemed solid. See above regarding gear. Bugs could be a problem in summer; there was a bee-box? at the base of the cliff, but on recent visits this has been removed. I am not sure if bees are a seasonal hobby, so be careful if you are alergic to bees

I also have some bee-sting pain killer (it wouldn't really help a severe allergy) in the first-aid kit I sometimes take with me.
Unread 10-06-2010, 12:58 AM
verticalcult

Well no, I didn't make any efforts to remove the hive. Two reasons: 1) I had no way of getting safely near it to do so and 2) I don't hate the wasps for stinging me, it was my bad to disturb them, after all, it's in the wilds and they were just doing what they do to protect their home/ babies etc. Even though I've seen sharks out surfing, I don't condone killing them, just coz they are a threat. I'm in their world so it's tough luck to me if they feel like scaring me away/ biting me.
If I'm out adventure/ ridge/ trad climbing, not at a sports crag....it's on me to take the good with the bad and make the appropriate calls as the situation demands. That's part of the attraction of this kind of climbing for me, it's not a sanitized acrobatic foray (I love sport climbing by the way), and it is uncertain and requires me to make a lot more complex decisions. OK I was hurt, and I REALLY APPRECIATE the sympathy etc, don't get me wrong, but I still had a great day and some great climbing too.
Of course, it does pose a danger for other climbers, and so I felt the need to make note of it. Apparently in winter they all die off naturally/ hibernate or something, so maybe then I'd be prepared to organize a removal and relocation...looking into the logistics now actually. That way the route would be safer for climbers and I'd have done my best to accommodate the Leave No Trace (LNT) attitude I think is fitting for THIS kind of climb. If anyone has any good ideas/ suggestions please let me know!
Unread 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Jiri Jammer

Did you get a look at the nest? Is it golf ball size or beach ball size? Either way I'd just post a sign at the beginning of the route and maybe at the anchor below the nest and be done with it. Only the queen and her eggs survive the winter and the queen doesnt use the same nest twice. Trying to remove a wasps nest thats on the side of a cliff, while scaling along hundreds of feet off the ground is retarded. But if you do make sure to video tape it
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
verticalcult

The nest is about 10 inches in diameter, kinda just a bit smaller than a soccer ball I s'pose. It's good to know the others will die off. I think as it's in a chimney just beyond a bolt (and easy to place lots of pro nearby), removing it when angry wasps are away/ asleep/ dead etc would be pretty easy and risk free. Even if they never use the same nest twice, I don't want others to get the idea of moving in nearby! If/ When we do this, I'll be sure to video-tape it Layne! Should be a laugh, eh?
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Jiri Jammer

You need someone burly. Someone like Canadian Grizzly to get it down.
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
peace

Last time I was at Yuhaksan I noticed the basketball-size hornet's nest (that basically ruled several climbs off limits) was down. . . not sure who or how . . . or if those things hibernate. . . but I would suggest full-on protective gear for anyone who even tries!