Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
peace

Korean Climbing Guides

OK, as promised to slab, here is a link for the climbing guidebooks to Korea:

http://www.kimcs.com/books/books.html

They are W30,000 each if you buy them at a bookstore, and most fairly large bookstores carry at least the "local" one. Topos, route info, maps etc of varying usefulness!

The orange one covers the northern provinces: Gyeonggi, Gangwon, Chungcheong and has pull out maps of Insubong and Ulsanbawi. The green one covers the southern areas: Jeolla, Gyeongsang and Jeju.
Unread 06-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Damn, that hurts!

Riddle and I both own the Green One.

They're great to find the locations, but the routes have changed. It may say 5.10a when it's really a 5.10c or vice-versa.

I recommend everyone to get them, tho. The drawings of the rocks and the routes are outstanding.
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
peace

yeah. . . the route guides are hit or miss. . . sometimes you can count down (if no new routes have been added) sometimes you can match the names (if they're written below) and sometimes the diagram looks sufficiently like the rock. . . but as often as not, no grades are given or the images looks like a computer generated image with no features, etc. Bolt counts are generally less accurate than US guidebooks, but heck, to me they are worth it if only because I "collect" guidebooks, and they are wonderful souvenirs of Korea (as well as being very helpful to me in finding places!!)

Last edited by skinsk : 06-20-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Seorak Sender

guidebooks

I am a foreigner and will visit Korea this month. Where can I buy guidebooks for rock climbing in Seoul?
Unread 10-07-2006, 08:10 AM
peace

These (books linked on this thread) are the only route guides I know for Korea. The Orange one (L) is for the northern part of the country including Seoul. It's in Korean, but there is a pull out map of Insubong (since you mentioned going there) with all 70+ routes. Desriptions are on the back-- some things are obvious even if you don't read Korean: how many pitches, meters, etc. . . anyone who reads Korean a little could help you with the rest: what gear is necessary, what type of climbing (slab!?) etc. . .
Unread 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Seorak Sender

store hour

Any body knows the store hours of Outdoor Books (near Hansung University)? or the store hours of other bookstore which have the guidebooks for sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
OK, as promised to slab, here is a link for the climbing guidebooks to Korea:

http://www.kimcs.com/books/books.html

They are W30,000 each if you buy them at a bookstore, and most fairly large bookstores carry at least the "local" one. Topos, route info, maps etc of varying usefulness!

The orange one covers the northern provinces: Gyeonggi, Gangwon, Chungcheong and has pull out maps of Insubong and Ulsanbawi. The green one covers the southern areas: Jeolla, Gyeongsang and Jeju.