Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

Unread 01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
verticalcult

Yeong-Dong Ice Park Grand Opening 2010!

So it's back and cooler than ever! The greatest ice park in Korea has opened again and we were there to help it do so. Josh (Auren K), Kyung Ah (Naomi) and I (shanja) attended with Hyo Hon (Hyohon) and ripped it up before the rain set us packing. Be back tomorrow though. Great plastique ice!!!!!
A few changes. Now you need pay, but the fee, is kind of refunded to you, see below:
As of 2010 January, to climb at Yeong Dong costs 10,000won a day/ person. After paying this and signing the waiver, you get Yeong-Dong money (kind of like coupons) which you can use at Yeong-Dong (and only Yeong-Dong) to buy food, gas/ diesel etc) You get 10,000won's worth of coupons and we ate ourselves silly after climbing today on opening day! Great value that ensures the money/ fee stays local and helps the local economy etc. Oh you also get a groovy sticker you put on your helmet.
Come and climb and have a great time. It's the bomb.
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Jiri Jammer

uncle jake long time no see i hope yours an kyung ah's xmas and new years was awesome. let me know next time your going im dying to give ice climbing try!
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
verticalcult

Hi ho,
Martyn and all others, be assured we are on the ice every few days. The 10,000won a day coupon system works awesomely (we channel our coupons into diesel for "Rock-Sea"- our car) and the place is great despite the crowding. Early starts are advised though, as the limited number of anchors (relative to the number of climbers!) means early birds can get a better choice of lines. Though weekdays are much less busy, and the restaurant tents not open.
My cell is 010-6488-8733, so call me up if you have any questions. From Daejeon it's about a 40min drive, and space here at our place. Gear is kinda important though, I have an extra set of axes and crampons, but you'll need bots that can hold them and a harness, helmet, gloves and a down jacket etc. Gore-tex pants are not necessary, nor is a Gore-tex jacket really. You keep pretty warm when climbing and if it rains we bail....the ice gets weak and unstable. I can't post any more pix on KOTR (exceeded limit) but check out my facebook for pics and ideas.
Martyn, you and Jason in Sokcho should co-ordinate and come at the same time if possible. KA has ice climbed and can, but her finger is way painful again and she is seeing a doc again on 7th (so I can't climb then). There will be an international ice climbing comp on the 22-23 January too, and I open the invite for everyone. They like to have a few foreigners there even though we are beginners etc. It adds a certain feel to things, and last year Heidi, Lindsey, Andy and I joined in for a good laugh. Not too serious an event. MOre details later.
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
verticalcult

Wednesday and Thursday past were another two wonderful days of ice play at Yeong-dong with Jason from Sokcho and Josh making an awesome group. Of course great as ever meeting so many old Korean climbing buddies out there too, 가인, 혜경, 은이, 청원, Mr 류, 승범 and of course 한상훈 회장님! After only a few days on the ice, Josh and Jason are both thoroughly hooked and we are all getting the N-Body thing coming along nicely indeed! The ice is fat, the ice is thin! Whatever you want, whatever your level Yeong-dong has it all. So get yourselves down and ready, the international ice-comp will be back on at Yeong-dong Jan 23-24th, with men's and women's divisions open. It's a mix of speed and difficulty (how high can you get in the time given without going "out of bounds"!?), and if last year was any indicatio, it will be a huge barrel of fun and laughs (not a cold serious uber alles type event - though some of the top climbers there sure are seriously good!)
Weekdays the restaurants are closed there, but we were having so much fun we didn't stop for lunch anyways!
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Jason

Martin, u are always welcome to come out with me up here and if I head down to Daejon, jump in. I can swap out tools with u, and depending on your foot size swap out by plastic boots as one climbs and the other belays. PM me and we can arrange something.
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Jiri Jammer

hey jason that sounds great i've had last sat and this sat taken away from because i have to make up for the snow days and next week as of sat im in vietnam for a week, but im definetly game for ice climbing in the first weekend of feb, boot size i take about 270-275mm. you'll have to bear with me as i have never ice climbed before. but im a competent belayer. once i get back from vietnam i'll send you a pm and sort something out. take it easy man, enjoy the ice
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
verticalcult

Martyn mate, looks like you'll fit into my boots (have 2 pairs now) with no worries. Hopefully (and judging by the recent weather) the ice will still be in good nick when you get back, at which time you must hurry yourself herewith to wear spiked heels and play with us. Do come along old boy!
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Jiri Jammer

Jake that sounds rad. i'll get in touch before hand to make sure the ice is still good. I'll see u the first weekend of feb. I'[ll bring tea you couldn't catch a pom in the cold without it!
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:16 PM
verticalcult

Look you'll all be sick of my posts by now, but too bad, this place is just too good! We spent another day there today and it was freaking awesome again. Met a great bunch of Koreans there from Gwangju (maybe a climbing school), some just uni kids - SO stoked to see the youth getting into climbing!!!
And we took Brendan (no not Brandon, ex-Osan or Brandon aka Branimal) out for his first day on ice, and he rocked it! Another happy addict on the way.
So, though a wee bit less ice and a tad of rain at the end of the day, look, just get down here and do it. Skiing? Pwth! Boarding? At home with a book and cup of cocoa? Sad maglignant losers...or so some song lyric said about a completely unrelated topic, but what the hey!
C'mon, do yourself a favour and ice climb. Martyn, be sure to get here asap! I'm working from week 2 of Feb!
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Jiri Jammer

uncle Jake i'll be there next weekend. I'm still in Vietnam at the moment until sat and had an epic climbing trip!!!! i now know how Joe Simspon felt in touching the void after having my first epic on a multi-pitch!!!!! i'll fill you in on the details in person. i'll send you a mail in the week to co-ordinate. off for some dws tommorow. enjoy the ice!