Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 04-30-2007, 10:29 AM
peace

Finally, the BULL

After over a year of teasing, photos and hype, it looks like the Bull is finally a reality for KOTR! Dogeun called last week, and we will reserve the Bull for this Sunday (May 6). Thus far, the "plan" seems to be:

I am heading down Friday (possibly with Deborah and anyone else who can leave from Jeonju kinda early Friday) and meeting up with Jennifer Friday PM. . . we'll check out her gym and chill because Saturday, more people (you? yeah YOU, if you're reading this!) will come to Daegu and we'll climb at "Yeongyeoung" . . . Sat PM we'll head down to the Bull. There's camping and min-baks there. . . already several of us are down for minbaks, so someone (call first dibs) can use my one person tent if they want. If off-season, so I would think minbaks out here would be pretty cheap. There are plenty of great food places and dong-dong-ju places there. . . of course, it's been noted it's Cinco de Mayo. . . and Deborah said:
Quote:
mexican food... lemme help with that...
if im promised a kitchen i can round up some carne asada / pollo verde kind of deal.... meat eaters ...and we've got the veggeaters covered with bean burritos and 7 layer dip eh?
. . .Deb, not sure about the "kitchen". . .how about some stoves? What else would you need? You certainly got some folks' attentions with this!! It might be nice Sun afternoon or Sat PM.

The Bull is open 9-6. Les will bring his slack line.

Quote:
Does anyone know the range of difficulty levels on the Bull? Like, is there something that beginners can play with?
It doesn't look like it, but if you come on Sat the'll be plenty of easy routes for you to play on!! The Bull is in a beautiful area near a temple, so you won't be bored! I plan to haul my *** bolt to bolt up this creature (for the photo ops).

Daegu is accessible from everywhere. . . they'll be several cars (most already in the city, though); the Bull is also accessible by public transport (check this thread later for more info). . . post if you plan to come and need more info, a pick-up ) if convenient), etc, try to meet up with others and share a taxi. . .

KNTO information here.

Last edited by skinsk : 04-30-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM
peace

Public Transportation

If you are coming to Yeongyeong on Saturday, from Seoul or the N/W (by train), you'll want to go to Daegu Station, which is much closer to the crag. From Busan to Daegu there are 10 daily trains, from W7,300-10,200 taking about 1:15-1:30. From Daegu Station, you can take a taxi to the crag. The 603 and Bukbu-2 (city busses) pass by the station every 11-12 minutes for Yeongyeong-dong (the dong where the crag is located). . . but I am not sure how close to the crag it will leave you).

If you come by bus, you might try to get a bus to Bukbu Inner-city Terminal (mostly serves the W and N) or SeoDaegu Express Bus Terminal. Both of these are pretty close to the crag. Seodaegu destinations are diverse and include: Jeonju, Gwangju, Suncheon, Daejeon, Masan, Busan, Ulsan, Jinju, Chuncheon, Uijeonjubu, Seoul, Dong-Seoul, Incheon

If you're coming Sat PM/Sunday to the Bull: There are several trains to Cheongdo (from whence you can get a bus to the Bull), a small station between Daegu and Busan.

From Busan there are 10 trains daily to Cheongdo, all but one (7,200, just >1hr) are under W5000! and take just over an hour.

You can go to the train link on KOTR and search for Seoul (or wherever) to Cheongdo. (Most trains from Seoul cost 22,100 and take just over 4 hours. . . one is slightly faster just >4hrs and 32,500) . . . The Cheongdo bus station is less than 5 minutes down the street from the train station, but check the bus schedule (under Navigational photos by the bull).

From Seoul it's quicker/more direct (but slightly more segmented as the train station-bus terminal aren't right next door) to get a train to DongDaegu, from where you can get a taxi (quick) or take the subway (convoluted) to Nambu Terminal and get a bus from there (that schedule, too, is posted on under "navigational images"). Most (but not all) of the trains to Dong-daegu are KTX, which means fast, but pricy (38,600 from Seoul-- though the slow trains here are W20,000). . . Another option is to go to Daegu Station (8 of the 10 daily trains are under W20,000; the other two almost W30,000), then take the subway across town to Macheon station near Nambu Terminal)
Unread 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Halla Hanger

I've got room in my apartment for anyone who is coming down on Friday night needs a place to crash and a ride to YoungGyeong.
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Halla Hanger

I would love to borrow the tent for Saturday night (unless there is space for another in a min-bak...)

I'll be taking the bus on Saturday morning, getting in around 10:45-ish. If anyone will be getting in around the same time and would like to share a taxi (sounds like that would be easiest?) give me a holler.
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Aggressive Sheep

is this what's really happening this weekend??? damn! what a cluster#~(* of confusing threads to sift through!
regardless...i need to hook up with Jennifer and Deb to exchange packages so i'll be where they are.
my details (timing and housing) are completely unknown as of now.
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Seorak Sender

I'm definitely intrigued at the idea of coming out. I've got rope and draws and web with me too, but i have no idea where anything is (or what a min-bak is for that matter...) any advice on getting there from cheonan?
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Seorak Sender

trying to get there

Okay, so I think my husband is going to try to go, looking at how to get there. He would be coming from Seoul Sat. morning, arriving at the first site around noon. Can he get a ride to the bull that evening? And any idea on Sunday what time people might be heading back toward Daegu? As he would need to try to catch a bus or train back from there. Thanks.
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
verticalcult

Hey Durachok! A min-bak is a cheap (20,000won-30,00won) private lodging place. Usually it's a simple room with heated floor (in the cooler months), pillows, blankets and a TV...often with a shower/ bathroom etc. It's the best bet for groups to crash when camping is unavailable or impractical. Usually you can get from 2-8 in a room...prices vary a bit with size and amenities, but they are always cheap, simple and quite OK.
Kyung Ah and I will be driving down so we might be able to give a few folks a lift twixt YeonGyeong and the Bull etc..Julie mate, I'm sure other driver types will also happily help out in this regard as we did at the M&G in Seonunsan. OK let's just all get there and keep our mobile phones on and have fun. These things always work out when you commit to them.
Unread 04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Jiri Jammer

I am in for this weekend. I am going to get on the first train out of Seoul, Saturday morning. I am having a problem with the train website though. According to the site, there are no trains to Daegu on Sat morning, from Seoul St. or Yongsan.

What time is everyone planing on heading to the crag? I will plan my arrival around that! I am also planing on camping on the sat night. Hopefully there will be a few camping as well as the min baks.

Looking forward to getting out on the rock with everyone again this weekend..
Unread 04-30-2007, 11:17 PM
peace

Quote:
I am having a problem with the train website though
. . . did you put in the actual date you need? If you just let it default to today, it won't show the trains that already left. It won't show any trains after the time you select. You have to select "any" for standard, class, etc or it will only search exactly what you ask.

There is camping; though when I went the facilities were locked and there was no water. Be nice to the minbak people (restaurants, minbaks, camping and the bull are all in the same general area).

Quote:
regardless...i need to hook up with Jennifer and Deb to exchange packages so i'll be where they are. . .
Rick, you must have had a great vacation!! Glad you're back with a vengeance!! Guess you're hitting Daegu?! Do you want me to bring your chairs?! (We enjoyed them at Yongseo, but we missed you )

Quote:
Can he get a ride to the bull that evening? And any idea on Sunday what time people might be heading back toward Daegu?
I'd bet he could get a ride to the Bull from Yeongyeong-- looks like 4-5 cars already, each with some room; he should commit and call first dibs! Dan might catch a bus from Incheon Terminal to SeoDaegu. I know busses to Daegu (from Incheon) start at 07:00 and take about 4:40. For specific info on departures, you might call 032-1330, the free English info phone in Daegu. For info about Daegu, it's 053-1330. The Bull closes at 6, so that's probably the latest anyone will stay. Most people heading back to Seoul will probably want to head back in time for the subway/busses. You can always combine the public transport home; unfortunately, i don't know the bus schedule back from the Bull, but you can check when you get there. . . be sure to copy the return schedule (at least the times you might need) for each leg of your trip when you're at each station/terminal. You can fit it all together there. Julie, will you be coming too?

Quote:
any advice on getting there from cheonan
There are 33 trains a day from Cheonan to Daegu Station. They range in price from 13,900 t0 24,000. Check the train link under "Korea Links" at the bottom left of this page. If you come down Fri PM, you might come to Dong-Daegu Station as it's closer to Jennifer's (if you're staying there) and the Climbing Gym we'll go to Fri PM. There are 35 trains a day from 14,000-20,700. (If by bus, Dongbu is closer, but all are on the subway line.)

Anyone taking a train should reserve in advance-- no fun if you have to stand or can't get the train you want.

Who wants in for minbaks? (we might consider reserving?)
Who has a vehicle and how much space? Who needs a ride from Yeongyeong Sat to the Bull? I am assuming I won't totally freak out driving in Daegu and will be able to follow Jennnifer through the city. In that case I'd have room for 2 besides myself; first dibs to Mary and Adam (if they're coming Sat to Yeongyeong and they respond here .

Last edited by skinsk : 05-01-2007 at 01:28 AM.