Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
Seoraksan: July 26th-28th

After spending a week in Vladivostok, I (and a stash of recently acquired vodka) will be meeting up with Dale and a handful of other Jinjuites at the ferry terminal in Sokcho on the 26th. If all goes according to plan, we'll then head over to Seoraksan to spend 3 or 4 days climbing and camping. The General, Yuseondae and Ulsanbawi are on our hit-list... and, depending on weather and how our dry-run in the gym goes next week, we may decide to attempt one of the longer multi-pitch ridge routes on either The General or Yuseondae.

We'll (hopefully) be staying in/camping near the Bisandae shelter, so if anyone else is interested, feel free to join us.

-Nick
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Jiri Jammer

I think I am really interested!

However, I have never taken part in a multipitch climb! If you are willing to show me the ropes, I would be more than ecstatic to join you guys in this outing. : )
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Jiri Jammer

hey,

im down for this as well if thats cool. i havnt done any multi pitches before so dont want to hold anybody back but ill be in the gerneral area anyway.
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Jiri Jammer

You should definitely come out.

We may wind up opting out of the multipitch. We may not. I've only ever done one before, and this will be Dale's first time on a big wall so it will all depend on how things go next week when we do a run-through at the outdoor wall in Sancheong.

That said, even if we do decide to axe multipitch from the itinerary, it'll still mean 3 days of sport climbing at some of the most scenic crags in Korea!... And that'll be Capital-A-Awesome, Quasim!
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Jiri Jammer

sweet - i should be good to rock up monday before noon
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Jiri Jammer

Damn them English Camps!

My school just gave me the English Camp schedule and guess what! It is through July 26-29....so, I am officially out. What a bummer! If any other Seroksan trips come up, please let me know. I am dying a little on the inside after finding out about the damn schedule.
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

Some words of advise.

Sorak San is a big place.
Some multi pitch climbs take you way up high.

This time of year has unstable weather.
When it is raining in Sokcho it can be storming in Sorak san.

Some simple precautions.
1: Take a winter weather jacket, plus warm clothes, and gloves.
2: Do not ridge climb as a big group.
3: Expect to find big groups of koreans on popular ridges. (which slows you down).
4: Take a head light.
5: Register your intended route with the park service.
6: Certainly wear a helmet.
7: Make sure you know how to self rescue, or at least someone in your group is well experienced if things go south.
8: Take about 4-6 meters of tape sling, and a knife to cut it. I have seen some horrible bits of tat which pass off as rappel stations.
9: Take a survival blanket or bag, they weigh little and help a lot.
10: Take a fully functioning first Aid kit.

I have been in Sorak San in all types of conditions, when it rains and a wind gets up, the rock is slippery, you will get cold and tired. I have also seen it been sunny when I started out, and become cms of rain in less than 30minutes. Oh and you will get tired, did I mention that.

Mountain rescue can rescue you, but only if they know where you are. Cell phones don't always work up there.

This is just to mention, that Sorak San is a serious place to climb, a true mountain among mountains in Korea.

Have fun.
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Jiri Jammer

Quasim! Sorry to hear your school's gone and taken all the wind out of your sails, trapped it in a lead balloon and dropped it off a cliff. I won't likely make it up to Seoraksan again before I leave (I'm Canada-bound at the end of August), but there's bound to be a KOTR-associated trip heading up at some point between now and Chuseok. So until then, keep your eyes on the prize... and keep reaching for the stars (*groan*).

Supertopoz: If mudfest can turn from cloudy, albeit muggy and warm, to drizzling and chilly in less than an hour, then I can only imagine what sort of weather extremes Seoraksan is capable of producing. Thanks for the advice and words of caution--they will be well-heeded.
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
pastafarian

Did a few routes about three weeks ago....t'was super hot on the Saturday, we got through two liters of water each by pitch four and had to Shamefully retreat from the General. On the Sunday the converse happened and myself and Alec had to rap off accompanied by a cacophony of thunder and rain in hot pursuit.

Well up for putting in some climbs in the Park at the end of this month. I've got the 29th, 30th, 31st of July and the 1st and 2nd of August off work so if anyone's down for some pitch swinging holla' back.

Have an ace time Uncle Nick! I need some uncle Dale in my life soon too, where the Devil is he....

Ba-da-bing!

ta.W
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Jiri Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower
I've got the 29th, 30th, 31st of July and the 1st and 2nd of August off work so if anyone's down for some pitch swinging holla' back.

William, in that case, if you're headed Seoraksan-way on the 29th, I might decide to stick around an extra day (or two). Might be able to talk Uncle Dale into it as well. We'll see.

Send me a text to let me know if you're going to be in the neighbourhood anytime after the 26th (I'll be away in Vladivostok from the 19th-26th).

010-4695-2110

Hope to see you up there!

Nick