Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Point Dume

Last weekend at Daedunsan

Hi,

I just wanted to share how much I enjoyed last weekend at Daedunsan.
I'm glad I made the Friday lunch-hour run to Dongdaemun to buy a harness and pair of shoes, because this place was just like one of those classical landscape paintings: green rustling mountains guarded by ancient and inviting ridges. In fact, I saw a large calendar print of the place just today.
Before this, my climbing experience had consisted of some sport climbing at Joshua Tree and setting up top ropes at a rock called Point Dume in Malibu.
At Daedunsan, we did the New Millenium (Secheonyeon) and Woojung (Friendship) routes--great multi-pitch bolted routes which our able point man Jo Sungkab "tradified," both for the fun of it, and to pass some larger groups.

I came home with lots of bruises and cuts, but I was able to take part in stuff I had only read about in some of John Long's books and practiced in my mind. The 360 degree views, the hang-on-for-dear-life-with-useless-pumped-arms moments, the cold night inside the tent, the stumbling down in the dark: What a great adventure it was! Thanks Sungkab, Sonya, and Jake. From all the people who came up to you guys and said Hi, I realized that you guys are truly respected seasoned experts. From all of your patient and encouraging guidance of this newby, I realized why.

Last edited by jsp1001 : 10-24-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM
peace

Likewise-- I may have lost a camera, but I gained a friend--JSP (in the long run, friends are better to have and harder to replace than cameras!!). . . excellent climbing with Jake again (and really for all our talk, the first time we got out multi-pitch trad-ing) and of course, I am super-psyched that JSK took the bait (as we literally wouldn't have probably found the routes, much less got up and down them without him!)! Definitely what I needed before a week of grading my exams!!
Unread 10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
verticalcult

Joe mate, the pleasure was all mine! It's always good, nah, great, to meet new climbers and easy going dudes (or dudettes) such as yourself. I had a blast! Really glad you came down and a bit regretful that I missed the Sunday sequel. Similarly is was just sweet as to catch up with Song-kap again. Back in the days when I was a newbie in Korea (well before the birth of KOTR) he was one of the most welcoming and caring guys a bloke could ever hope to meet. After his Gasherbrum trip and Scotland sojourn we kinda lost touch, so it was a real reunion of friendship on Saturday. Likewise with the guys (and gals) from the restaurant...long time no see, but instantly renewed warmth and feelings. THAT IS A TYPICAL KOREAN HABIT! THAT IS A TYPICAL CLIMBER HABIT TOO! So c'mon all you newbies and old hands, let's get together, share a ropelength or two and celebrate the very essence of life itself...climbing and relationships!
Unread 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Ayeishi!

Daedunsan is beautiful, eh! I was there about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately we were unable to climb because it poured rain. I have done one of the routes before, but I don't know which one. It was my first multi-pitch, first rappel (rapel? rapell? rappel? How do you spell that?), first absolutely magnificent view.
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
peace

Quote:
share a ropelength or two
or half

Quote:
my first multi-pitch, first rappel (rapel? rapell? rappel? How do you spell that?), first absolutely magnificent view
. . . I told the watermelon story but I didn't realize you were such a virgin
Unread 10-26-2007, 09:03 PM
verticalcult

Pics are up in the fun photos and in the New Millenium pages.