Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
DanseurVertical

bouldering mats & logistics?

I'll be moving to Korea in February, from the US. I've two mats. Combined, they weigh about 8.6kg (19lbs.) and have a volume of about 14.5" x 36" x 24". Park Cheolyoung here on the site advised me in another thread to bring along my bouldering mats, since presumably they're scarce in Korea.

Has anyone else done this before? In particular, from the US?

A related question is, once in Korea, how will I get them to the rocks without a car etc.?

If you've any thoughts, please share!
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
fight gravity!

Me again.

Not sure about pads, (probably, it will work out well with your airline)

In korea, Public transportation is well-organized. So many people travel town to town with bus, high-speed-train(up to 300km/h) and just regular train. In the major big city, subway is really convenient.

Still having a car is the best way to travel for climbing trip. Or get a friend who have a car already.

Or buy an used car. insurance and tax will be cheaper than any western country I think.
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:30 PM
DanseurVertical

Hi. Thank you.

I'll contact airlines in regard to that. I've never flown overseas, so I'm learning.

My main point about transportation inside Korea is that bouldering mats are really big! So in the US I wouldn't be allowed to take one on a bus or train (depending on the particular city). I was imagining it would be similar in Korea, but maybe that's not so?
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
fight gravity!

There will be no problem with pads when you're using public transportation. Even it's big high-ball pad, Korean people are nice. Sometimes some People in the bus or train may swear you and then you can swear them too then it will be ok.(THIS IS A JOKE) no worries.

By the way america sucks if you can't travel with pad in the bus or train.
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:28 PM
DanseurVertical

I can't really speak for the whole of the US; I'm from Pittsburgh. I have had fellow bus riders complain about my wearing even a backpack on the bus... During peak hours many buses would become completely crammed with people (they would skip stops because they were entirely full). So, time of day would be an issue, too. But if you wanted to board a mostly empty bus with a large bag or a bouldering mat etc. no one would make a fuss.
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
fight gravity!

You will climb on weekend I suppose, So will be ok.

rush-hour in a seoul subway, I can say that that's literally a "HELL" but the other cities are ok.
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
waiting for the friction

Traveling about with pads is no trouble 98% of the time. You may get an ornery bus driver on occasion, but other than you should be alright. If you roll out with a crew, you may have to take separate buses, especially during the spring and fall peak seasons. Have you ever seen a million people on a mountain? You will.

The bouldering areas in Seoul are accessible by public transit, and most crags are reachable by intercity bus/train/taxi or some combo thereof. I know some of the boulders in the Busan area are similar but the newer stuff requires wheels. The is stone everywhere here, literally. After a few members of the crew bought cars, the number of areas has blown up.

As for traveling, my friend flew my Moon Pad (standard size) over from America with no problems. Pads here are not scarce per se, but the selection is poor (Mad Pads and Metollius Stomp). The big Metollius is gettable if you ask around enough.

Quick but important question: what size are your feet? big climbing shoes can be impossible here (as in over size 10US, even 10 can be tough). Also generally, any brands other than 5.10 and Evolv (which are actually pretty cheap) are hella expensive, unless you find a deal.

Good luck.