Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Are you High-Minded?

Ya so I plan to go to Insubong this weekend on Sunday. I am going to take a lot of pictures and try to find some climbs with nice landings cause I won't have a pad. Pretty much, if I find enough bouldering I will pay for my pad to be shipped out here. If that is expensive, then I will buy a new pad here. I will talk to the owners of Tagy climbing gym to see if they can order one for me. ya I'm going to do that, having a second pad doesn't hurt anything except my wallet a little.

I went to the International Zen Center in Seoul a few weeks ago and afterwards I hiked around in the mountain behind the center and found some problems. Really there are boulders all over Korea and the boulderers of Korea need to create a stronger scene.

The zen center is at Hwa Gye Sa Temple, 487 Su Yu 1 Dong, Kang Buk Gu, 142-071 Seoul, South Korea.

HEY THE MORE SPOTTERS THE BETTER! Anyway who wants to boulder this Sunday give me a call or email ahead of time:

010 437 80511
Unread 09-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Seorak Sender

hey there, i am in seorackson this weekend, gutted but next weekend would be great if your into the bouldering i love bouldering, i would be free sunday and monday i think thats the holiday my mobile is 01086958860 call me about 2nd october or the 3rd i will be at seorackson camping out.

anyways hope to here from you my email is [email protected]

laters hinka dinka
Unread 09-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Are you High-Minded?

http://www.koreaontherocks.com/search.php?type=1&area_name=47

ya so there is tons of bouldering all over korea but no one has documented.. at least to my knowledge.

I just went up to the closest mountain to me in Seoul and boom I was all surrounded by boulders.

I am going to buy a crash pad soon.. next pay check.

What is the deal? Why hasn't anyone done this before?

GO EXPLORE!

ya if anyone wants to be a legend just start going up the mountains around Seoul and beyond and just start climbing the boulders and naming them and put together a guide.
Unread 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM
pebble wrestler

hey i just got to seoul and checked out the top at jamsil. i could use a bouldering partner if anyone's up for it. i'm a little confused on how the holds are marked in the gym too. in the US, it's labeled by colors, both feet and hands. how is it labeled here? it seems that it goes by numbers, hands only. does that mean footholds can be used anywhere? plus, aside from the holds, weights and all that are prety nonexistent. how do you all keep up non-climbing conditioning? e.g.: weightlifting, cardio, etc.
Unread 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Welcome to Korea and KOTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigga34
i'm a little confused on how the holds are marked in the gym too. in the US, it's labeled by colors, both feet and hands. how is it labeled here? it seems that it goes by numbers, hands only. does that mean footholds can be used anywhere?
In the gyms I have been to here in Korea usually only the handholds are marked, usually with tape. Usually the feet aren't marked and you are allowed to put your feet anywhere. Sometimes at my gym they'll set up short bouldering routes where both hands and feet are marked, but these routes are usually short and hard, hence the name, bouldering route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigga34
plus, aside from the holds, weights and all that are prety nonexistent. how do you all keep up non-climbing conditioning? e.g.: weightlifting, cardio, etc.
There are plenty of places to pick up weights and exercise equipment, you'll just need to find a shop that sells sports equipment. They'll usually have some dumbells and small weights like that. They may even have a bench.

I'm not sure where you live because I don't know where Jamsil is but if it's a suburb of seoul, you might check at some of the other gyms (if there are any) in your area. My gym has a small but useful exercise room with some free weights and machines.

But your best option might be to join a regualar (non-climbing) gym. They are usually about 50,000/month but can be as high as 100,000. It just depends on where it is and how much equipment they have. Also, if you live in or around an apartment complex (and usually a less expensive complex) you can sometimes find small gyms with running machines, weight machines and some small free weights for a monthly fee of 5,000. (No i didn't forget a zero) The last 2 apartments i lived in had one of these gyms within a 5 minute walk from my house. There is usually no sign for the gym and the ones i have seen have been above the first floor of the building. You should take a walk around your area and just peak your head into some of the non-descript buildings and see what you can find. I found the last one because I heard the music blarring out the window.

ok, i hope this helps...
eric
Unread 11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Are you High-Minded?

Talking hello?

yo. maybe you should look at some other posts. talk about boudler is all over the place right now.

i have a pad - mad rock- cost me 114,000 at Tagy climbing gym. they sell all madrock equiment for 20% off.
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:53 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grande
yo. maybe you should look at some other posts. talk about boudler is all over the place right now.
I'm not sure what post you are referring to but this thread is nearly 7 months old and it just keeps getting brought back to life. The original post/question has been answered. I think we should start a new thread...

...but not before I extend this one's life a little longer...

Is that the Tagy in Cheongju? Or is there another Tagy?
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Are you High-Minded?

Smile crash pads

ya i got a crash pad. a friend of mine has one to. he is on the list.

if there is a posting for a climbing trip on korea the people probably got pads.

we are buying them from Tagy climbing gym in Cheongju for $113