Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
send train

New Idea For Meet And Greet!

I was having dinner with a couple other people that frequent this forum the other night when Helen proposed a great idea. Sorry to post this Helen, it just sounded like the most logical idea I've heard.

This time let's not M&G at a crag. SERIOUSLY!

The idea was to find a place in a city, rent out a room, have a good time where we won't further mar the image of the foreign climbing community. THEN, once we've met people that we want to climb with, we go climb.

Right now there is no way in hell having this many people at a crag is a good idea. It's harder on the environment, and it's hard on the image of foreign climbers in this country.

I've never been to a M&G and will continue to never go as long as they are at crags. Honestly I've heard too many stories, and keep being told that not much climbing happens there anyway.

If we met in an area like Itaewon or Hongdae, it would be easier for people that haven't figured out Korea yet to find the meeting spot. The following day there are butt loads of crags and gyms to absorb the entire climbing community without over crowding. And face it, a disturbance by a foreign climbing in a place like that will go almost unnoticed, whereas the same thing in the camp grounds of a crag is just plain embarrassing. Not to mention, people can do anything from gym climbing to multi-pitching the next day once they've met everyone.

Please don't let something as silly as "KOTR tradition" keep us locked into something that's more harmful than good, or to prevent new ideas from coming to fruition.
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM
send train

Another side note:

Continuing Meet and Greets at crags only enforces the idea in the Korean climbing community that KOTR is a club.

This is not a club! Just an English climbing forum and an amazing resource.

If we we're perceived as a "club" it's more likely that all foreign climbers will be held accountable for the actions of a few.
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

Well this is a man with a good plan.

Yes I too have lived in Korea for many years and never attended such a meet. On the grounds of over-use issues, noise issues, and using a nature in a way it is not intended to be used for.

classic places to have a party, include someone's home, someone else' home. Or perhaps a disused warehouse. But it is never a good idea to party where others would like to not party.

I would like you not to party in a place which is used for outdoor recreation. namely because;
A: You speed up the degradation of such a place.
B: You look like a bunch of Idiots, yes that includes me.
C: The tar covers all of us and is hard to remove.
D: There are certainly a million better places to be loud an proud.

Yes folks learn from the past, and make the future a blast. Party in town, climb in the mountains.
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Seorak Sender

excellent idea for so many reasons.
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
verticalcult

I hope you guys don't get the hate mail I got for saying basically what you just said. Thanks guys, the idea and spirit is great. Actually the 1st ever M&G was in The Rocky Mountain Tavern in Itaewan...so it's not even a total break with tradition (for those who might otherwise object).
Transport for newly arrived folks, lack of gear needed for them (and anyone else) and a more appropriate venue for people to go wild and party hard can only be good for all of us. Thanks.
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Jiri Jammer

I think this is a much better idea. Ive been putting it out there for the past month or so as well
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:37 PM
pastafarian

Cough cough** Pretzl frock... there's a hint.

Jah bless.

w.//
Unread 09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
send train

Jake:
No hate mail yet. It's sad that happened when you brought it up though. I never imagined anyone getting pissed, it just seemed like the smart and responsible thing to do.

I didn't even bring up the safety issues of such large groups of climbers at the crag because I figured it went without saying. Too big of a crowd around belayers is a recipe for disaster.

Will:
The frock sounded amazing. I deeply regret having not made that. From what I hear, the frock was the coolest thing in KOTR history.

We could learn a thing or two about organizing awesomeness from the frock.

EVERYONE:
If this by chance gets enough votes, maybe we could have some of our multi-talented climbers provide some entertainment too.
Unread 09-14-2010, 01:02 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

The M&G at the Tavern and was a lot of fun! Plus, after the Tavern closed, Hongdae was still going strong even after the sun came up!

Having it at a bar (or a place where partying is expected) is a great idea!

Depending on how many folks are interested in showing up, you might consider renting a floor at your favorite drinking establishment. Or you could go MT style and rent a condo or an entire hotel.

The ultimate team rented an entire hotel on Jeju. It was perfect as the hotel had its own restaurant and we were as noisy as we wanted to be as there was no one else there. Plus, everyone has a place to sleep, if so desired.

The department at the college I taught at rented a condo for 2 days / 1 night in the mountains. It was about 150 - 200 of us and it was a huge condo! That's another alternative to a bar and you might even get your own noraebang machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanja
Actually the 1st ever M&G was in The Rocky Mountain Tavern in Itaewan...so it's not even a total break with tradition (for those who might otherwise object).
OFF TOPIC: Actually, the 1st unofficial M&G was 5 of us at Seonunsan (though it wasn't coined a M&G).

Eric
Unread 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Radio

Great idea. But, Choss Monkey, I'm still going to send you some unrelated hate mail/male.