Artificial Walls
Artificial Wall Photos
User Links
Today's Posts
Korea Links
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Halla Hanger
So long as it's on a weekend I'm sure I'll be able to get down there. I'd be more than comfortable coming solo, though I'll try my best to entice any others. Let me know when you're sure of dates, and I'll be asking about directions before long. Cheers
Oh, the delicate peregrinations of those ten sensitive fingers, scuttling across the rocks in desperate Braille. - Sid Marty
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:14 PM
SNG(Sketchy-not so-New Guy)
I'll be around and ready to do something around the beginning of January
Calmer than you are...
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd like to come too...I know that I haven't shown up to many KOTR things...sorry, didn't mean to be the 'enigma' (Sonia's word )...but it's vacation time now, so I think I could swing it...sounds like fun and it would be cool to meet up with you all...

Unread 01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Seorak Sender
I am game too. Just need to know the were and when. And a rough idea on how to get there... I sounds like a blast. Finally put my gear to some more use It is sitting there looking too nice and new...
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"
Is this still going down?

The lady and I may be interested. There's an ice climbing festival\comp here that weekend, but my gear is still in transit. If it has to go thru korean customs like my other gear did, it'll probably be spring before it gets here. But, anyway if this thing is still happening. I could use some directions and some suggestions on places to crash. I may be filling up the old green hornet (greg and Jen's ole beater) and heading your way. So, let me know the schedule and maybe a phone number or two in case we get lost, since this will be our first korean roadtrip. Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to get to your place from Sokcho. We may leave Friday night after work, but who knows.

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryan and Shauna
Unread 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Yep. It's still on. January 13th-14th. 2007.
Where? In Daejeon, starting off (unless we post otherwise) at the Deajeon Climbing Gym (Fifteen Climbing) about 12noon on the Saturday. If folks want to arrive earlier, we could easily fill in the time, either at a crag (ice), the gym itself or some touristy things.
From Seoul we are about a 2 hour bus/train/car ride. Just come on down the Chungbu or Kyongbu Expressways, come in through the North Daejeon (북대전) IC following the road towards City Hall/Dunsan Dong. You'll go past a fun park/expo site (on your Left), over a river, past Gov't Complex (on your Left), past Stargate Cinema (on your Right) keep on straight past Galleria Time World Department Store (on your right). Go straight through the big 4way after that angling to be in the right most lanes, because a little later you will want to avoid going up and over the overpass, swinging instead an underpassing left turn (lights) onto the road smack under this overpass. Now you are within a 5min walk of the Gym. To get there, you'll turn left (as said above) onto this road under the overpass, and go down to the first set of lights. Turn left here and park your car immediately on the curb, or somewhere near by. The gym is 30-40m down on that main road (you just turned left off), in the basement. Can't miss it there are signs.
If you are coming by bus/train you can taxi it for about 5,000/4,000 won respectively (though if your train comes in to West Daejeon (서대전역) it would be a bit less. Tell the taxi driver KyeongSeong Sports Centre Nae-Dong/Goejeong Dong (경성스포츠 센터 내동/괴정동). That is just about 150m down the road, on the same side. Or if you want, you could call me 010-6488-8733 and I might be able to pick you up/talk to the taxi driver etc.
Bus freaks can take the 104 bus (1,500won) from in front of the (main) train station...just on the main road on the right (your back to the station).
A subway from the train station to Yongmun Dong Station (용문동역) and a taxi from there would also work.

From Sokcho it is about 4-5 hours I think (this is very vague sorry). The easiest way might be to go to Kangneung (강릉), then the YongDong Expressway (용동고속도로) to Hobop JC/IC (호법) and swing south onto the chungbu Expressway etc.

Any problems call me on 010-6488-8733.
OK, well we hope to see as many of you cats as possible. Regards and wishes,
"Escadrille de le Daejeon"
(Jake, Kyung Ah, Eric, Karen and and the recently returned Dave and Amanda)
quem deus perdere vult, primus dementat
Unread 01-06-2007, 01:48 PM

I got Peter Mortimer's First Ascent and Michael Franti's I Know I'm Not Alone (Not exactly a climbing video. . . but if anyone wants to see it). . . planned to bring the former to the get-together if video-watching was on the agenda. . . first ascent features climbing in Hong Kong, Thailand, Himalayas, Moab, BC. . . more!
"If you can't do something well, you might as well learn to enjoy doing it poorly." -- from a de-motivational poster, but I find it oddly liberating!
Unread 01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"
We're out

Thanks for the offer and the directions, but we'll have to catch up on the next one. There's an ice climbing festival happening this weekend in Inje, so we've decided to do that instead.
I watched First Ascent in the States when it opened in Boulder last May, Great video, they filmed a portion of it with my wife and her climbing friends in Boulder. The students you see and the classroom spoof scenes are of my wife's class and her students. Have fun and hopefully we'll have the priviledge of meeting a few of you soon

Unread 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Too bad for us (I can see why an ice climbing fest might be more appealing! esp in Kangwon-do). . . but cool that your wife will be (t)here, in a way. . .
"If you can't do something well, you might as well learn to enjoy doing it poorly." -- from a de-motivational poster, but I find it oddly liberating!
Unread 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey guys,

We are heading to the store for some food on Friday.

Can you RSVP is you are coming?

Jake, how many guys from the gym are definitely coming?

Also, if you are planning on sleeping at my house, could you pack your sleeping bag? We don't have that many sheets...

looking forward to the shindig!

Fall: To retreat in dynamic fashion from a climb.
Source: mountainzone.com