Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: What dates do you want to have the Autum Meet and Greet?
September 5th-7th 8 24.24%
September 12th-14th (Sept 13th-15th is Chuseok!) 10 30.30%
Septerber 19th-21st 24 72.73%
September 26th-28th 10 30.30%
October 3rd-5th (Oct 3rd is a National Holiday) 7 21.21%
October 10th-12th 9 27.27%
October 17th-19th 6 18.18%
October 24th-26th 5 15.15%
October 31st-November 2nd 6 18.18%
November 7th-9th 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
verticalcult

This is sweet people! Really sweet! Thanks to the 22 folk (plus Kris and Jessie) who voted, thus far. To answer said questions from Jessie publicly:
Yeah, Kyung Ah and I will be there Friday. I might be free Thursday too even!
Who wouldn't want to do 'bongs on a Friday? [for the uninitiated a "bong" is the Korean word for "peak"- such as Insu-bong in Seoul; I'm quite sure that our young Kris is far too far an upstanding citizen of immaculate decorum and ettiquette to be suggesting we smoke the whacky tobacky]
Littledigits, this might interest you too, no?
OK so that's done. If you haven't yet, do it now. Vote for the date(s) you like. And, oh yeah, if you are a US citizen vote in your election thing too.
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Lindsey

Regarding the sauna, I think the hours are 8 am - 7 pm. Hehe I've had some fun times there, Ricky and Nicola I miss you!!
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Seorak Sender

I just arrived in Yeoju, Korea today, and this M&G sounds awesome!!! I hope there are all skill levels present at this shindig, so I don't feel like a lame-o.

p.s. my fingernails are getting way too long for comfort--it's a sign of lack of climbing
Unread 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
Missed the last so I'm looking forward to this one all the more. I assume it's a non-issue if I bring along a few friends who have almost no experience?
Unread 08-30-2008, 08:11 PM
peace

Quote:
Missed the last so I'm looking forward to this one all the more. I assume it's a non-issue if I bring along a few friends who have almost no experience?

Can they slice, dice, chop or flip pancakes?
Unread 08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Working it out

catch ya'll on the flip side

i won't be able to make it this time.
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Jiri Jammer

Location: Wonji ... or as it's come to be known locally: Wonji-Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Can they slice, dice, chop or flip pancakes?

That, and then some. They might be a little skint when it comes to gear, but their enthusiasm will more than make up for it.
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
verticalcult

Well folks, Over the weekend we (Kat, Brandon, Kapo, Dave, Lindsey and I) popped down and checked out the Halmae scene. My elbow barred me from most climbing, but we got some beta that I wanna share.
1stly, Halmae is getting way overgrown. Passed Redland is a jungle now. The place looks kinda deserted and un-used. Some Korean climbers have said that the Mokpo and Jeonju (etc) teams have been told to take away all their (replaced) bolts...maybe by the same dude who caused the boycott thing. I dunno if that is true. We had no probs climbing there...and another small group from Seoul was there too. Keep checking on this.
2ndly, many of the re-bolted routes are all missing the first bolts, so starts are generally high-ball, though that isn't such a big problem. From bolt 2 onwards thwere are about 10-12 routes up, all levels (5.8-5.12)
3rdly, Dave and Kat confirmed that the campgrounds at Seonunsan are a bit noisy due to festivals and construction, so bring ear-plugs if that is an issue fior your beauty sleepin' ways. Seung-bin and Hong-pil have also reminded us that a few good 5.8-5.10a/b routes are at Seoksal up passed the wind tunnel area on Tugu bawi (?), these have been recently rebolted and may not be listed in some guides. So should be plenty of easier routes on hand.
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:16 AM
SOJU- SOME ONE JUICED UP

Bad & Good News On Halmi Bawi

Dear Folks,

Halmi Bawi is off-limits for a reason. For those of you who have stayed in Korea for over two years can probably remember how disgusting the bathrooms were left behind by the "wrong" side of the climbing community. Personally, I can understand why the owner was so pissed off-- after all, why should he have had to clean the mess of others. I don't just mean mess, I'm talking about **** splattered all over the stalls and just plain down right disgusting. I'm sure some of you remember that, right? So, naturally, he got angry and pissed off, started charging folks to climb there, folks ignored this most of the time, just climbed anyway and continued trashing the bathrooms, mostly. So, at this point, he absolutely hates climbers. Go figure why he's taken the time to remove as many bolts as he knows how to on his own. Can you blame him? It's his property.

Now I don't mean to rain on your parade, and by no means am I innocent because I was just out there the other week myself, but was unknowingly misinformed about the status of the crag and I'd also be a complete hypocrite for saying that I've never played the "idiot" foreigner card. But, if you've been here for any amount of time, though, pretty much you and everyone else knows that this place is and has been off limits. You can take your chances playing the "idiot" foreigner-- and it'll probably work fine, but it's probably not a bad idea to just stay off his property.

First, just out of plain respect for his property. Second and most convincingly, it's just a matter of time before the guy catches a group and calls it in to the local authorities. He has that right. And, who knows, that fine could huge, but I have no idea really. Perhaps he already has, I don't know. However, at this point, and from what I gather from my sources, he's crazy and probably mad enough to make rounds; hence, probably the reason that most Korean climbers with any sense of respect and common sense won't go near there.

Now, I love Halmi as much as the next climber-- probably even more so. I have had many a great days there. So, I understand this need to touch this rock and this is the reason why I'd like to share this with you. From what I have gathered, Halmi Bawi will be under new ownership some time next year, but you may want to check your own resources for yourself. Be patient or good luck if you can't resist.

Peace

Last edited by CHOI BAWI : 09-03-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Unread 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
verticalcult

Exclamation

I agree 100% with the sentiments about the need to be respectful and sincere in our relationships with landowners and Korean in all cases. Thaqt is why if you read the thread carefully you will see several mentions as we have also discussed elsewhere) that this very point is a concern.
The dude doing the charging however is not the landowner. Nor is he a local. Nor is he the former operator of the abandoned Ansan Garden Rest-stop restaurant that is there. He isn't pissed at climbers for fouling the facilities...he came along as a leaser of the land and took it on in full knowledge of it's condition. The actual owners of said land and restaurant moved their business to (near) the entrance of Seonunsan Park because it had much betteer business turnover. I know this because I spoke to them when they left.
That said, the point that the facilities (bathrooms and such) were despoiled so is a shame on the folks who did it. Some probably were climbers...but rather than singling climbers out, the owners largely blamed fishermen, rest-stop "travellers" and workers on the then road and development projects nearby. KOTR members (as well as the Mokpo, Jeonju and Gwangyang climbing teams) did make semi-regular efforts to clean up the area around the crag...maybe too little, but it was something. The fact is also, the former operators said they were getting so little business there that maintaining the facitities was too much of an economic and psychological burden. Why upkeep something you are looking to off-load and leave? Can't really blame them...maybe we should all have eaten there more often than we did. Maybe they could have tried collecting "cleaning" contributions when they were there? Thus we are brought to the present situation
The info I have posted on it being open again is based on the words from the very clubs who first developed the area and called for it to be boycotted later. Mokpo, Jeonju etc. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, nor trying to use the "just play the ignorant foreigner card". I was just reporting what Korean climbers were saying and doing (yes Korean climbers have also been returning to Halmaebawi). Mokpo started rebolting about 2 months back, and told us it was fine to return. There has however been some suggestion in the last week that this may have again back-flipped. If so we should give extra heed to CHOI BAWI's warnings and ask all our clubs and see what we can determine. No-one wants a confrontation or anything. Meanwhile lets all use it as a reminder to treat all climbing areas with proper care and good manners.