Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: What dates do you want to have the Autum Meet and Greet?
September 5th-7th 8 24.24%
September 12th-14th (Sept 13th-15th is Chuseok!) 10 30.30%
Septerber 19th-21st 24 72.73%
September 26th-28th 10 30.30%
October 3rd-5th (Oct 3rd is a National Holiday) 7 21.21%
October 10th-12th 9 27.27%
October 17th-19th 6 18.18%
October 24th-26th 5 15.15%
October 31st-November 2nd 6 18.18%
November 7th-9th 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-14-2008, 06:01 PM
verticalcult

Hey, yeah the place is gonna be Seonunsan/ 선운산 in North jeolla Province. This will hopefully include the recently re-opened halmaebawi (so newbies fear not there will be a good number of routes for you and me!). Can anyone from Gunsan/ Jeonju/ Mokpo confirm if the re-bolting is still in progress or finished there? PLEASE TELL US!
It's a camping affair on the whole, but there are a number of min-baks too, right nearby. Usually we'd get an accom thread going to see who needs tent space/ wants to share a min-bak. I'll attend to that soon.
Unread 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Belay Caddy/Slave

I am so happy to hear the Halmaebawi is back in action that might actually motivate me to get in the gym.

I have a computer and projector that I can bring and probably a white sheet for a screen and if I remember right the cooking / dish cleaning area has plug ins.

Later

Mike
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:39 PM
verticalcult

Thanks Mike! Champion! I'm not 100% about halmaebawi (only 95%). We climbed there no probs about 5 weeks back, and the Mokpo crew were re-bolting. How much they have finished re-bolting I am not sure. Eitherway though I think it's a great step forward. When we get a definite date, I'll try and talk with Seonunsan Park officials to advise them in advance and check on camp-fire regulations etc. Be advised that park fees both to the car-park (if you are driving) and to the park proper are in effect. They are small though and I don't think it's an issue. The car-park fee can be avoided by driving in after 6pm (?) and the regular fee by walking around the back way (so I'm told) from the camp-ground. Halmaebawi (for new to KOTR/ Korea people) is a 5min drive away from Seonunsan camp-grounds and NOT in the park...to get there will require people co-ordinating lifts with KOTRers who have a car and are going there (rather than to the main crags of Seonunsan such as Seoksalbawi/Sajabawi/ Munbawi/Tugubawi). It sounds way more complicated than it is, so don't worry.
This is my plan (and generally what a lot of people will do).
Friday after I finish work, I'll roll into Halmaebawi (on a map it's in Jeollabuk-do, near Gochang/ Jeong-Eup towns). I'll climb and socialize there until 6pm-ish, then pop over to Seonunsan camp-grounds, set up camp and so on. With anyone else there we'll create a feast (old-hands will know Kyung Ah's predilection for bringing lots and lots of kim-chi, sam-gyeop-sal and so on).
Saturday after a hastily organized coffee-fest we will hike up the beautiful valley to Seoksal-bawi and climb. Taking water and lunch (water can be got from the temple just after the park fees-gate). Probably we'll roll back to the camp-grounds in the late arvo/ early evening and maybe grab a shower/sauna at the jjim-jil-bang (public steam-baths & sauna) next to the camp-ground. This closes early...maybe 6pm?...but is a great reviver after a days climb. Then it's beer o'clock, and setting up the dinner and campfire stuff. Dinner probably will kick off around 8.30pm (as sunset is late still) and it's a communal effort, preparing, cooking, setting-up and eating.
Dinner will be followed/ accompanied by some mix of fire-twirling, guitar and bongo playing, video-projections, drinking, tall-tale telling, meeting and greeting, 1st aid, award ceremonies etc
Sunday The communal breakfast and clean-up of last-nights merriment (remember we are defacto ambassadors like it or not, so setting good examples is more or less required), maybe breaking camp and then off to your choice of Halmaebawi or back to Seoksalbawi etc.
Unread 08-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Seorak Sender

I missed the first meet and greet this spring.. so i can't wait for this!! but i hope it's not on the October long weekend.... that's Busan Film Festival. I'd still come to the meet and greet but it'd suck to miss it. By the way... I have hooka now and enough tobacco to last us for the whole winter... i hope u guys smoke
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
breaking in my skin

Sounds awesome! I'm excited already. (of course, with my luck you'll all pick 09/26-28, the one weekend I can't go... please don't pick that!)

And more than one question:

As I haven't been to a M&G or to 선운산 before, anything in particular that should be brought? I mean, other than basic camping and climbing gear.

If food is brought, are their lockers or whatnot keep animals out, or are we just hanging it from trees? (So I'd know how to pack)

Was there more decided on those KOTR fisherman/climbing pants that were brought up a while ago? This would probably be the best time to hand them out, yeah? Or maybe take orders and collect money then to get it started?
Unread 08-20-2008, 12:46 AM
peace

Food is generally safe. . . not too many wild animals in Korea. . . and the other climbers generally behave! There will(should!) be a food thread, but common sense also prevails. Those with base access/cars generally pick up/bring more stuff. . . those coming a long way with 3 transfers can donate towards it. Tomatoes just don't do too well stuffed in a pack!! There's also a lot of opportunities to help out? How good are you at flipping pancakes?

Looking forwards to seeing everyone (providing it's early enough!) The earlier fall meet and greet (spring really needs to wait for the weather!) can be nice so everyone can meet everyone before the autumn climbing season. . . make friends all over the country and then spend the next few months exploring and climbing together!

While there are always new people (you get old really quickly), I see lots of familiar names signed up and on this thread-- quite a few of us from every meet and greet ever!
Unread 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Climber of Rocks

hey boys and girls, are we for sure doing seonunsan? i'm going to be back on my regular work-til-10-pm schedule here in a week. i know the last bus to gwangju is at like 1030, but i can't get to the crag until the next day. so... i just wanted to double check that we were at 100% seonunsan.

you guys know i'm there no matter what, but i just want to get an idea of what the weekend is going to be like.
Unread 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
verticalcult

Yep. It's Seonunsan, hopefully with Halmaebawi thrown in too. Be great o see you there matey!
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Aggressive Sheep

this thread has some great info on travelling to seonunsan. some of the information may be out of date so take it with a grain of salt.
(do NOT post in that thread as it's 2 years old and that will confuse the coordination)
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:30 AM
mastering the pull-up

Jake, when are you ending the poll? Kris and I are in Vietnam and w/out great computer access and we haven't decided what we want to vote for yet. So, if you close the poll and we haven't voted yet, put both of us down for any weekend BUT the long ones.

So, will you and KA be there on Friday? Kris and I have Fridays off this semester, so we'll bet to S Thursday night. Do you always have Fridays off, b/c Kris wants to do some of the 'bongs on Fridays this fall.