Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

View Poll Results: What dates do you want to have the Autum Meet and Greet?
September 5th-7th 8 24.24%
September 12th-14th (Sept 13th-15th is Chuseok!) 10 30.30%
Septerber 19th-21st 24 72.73%
September 26th-28th 10 30.30%
October 3rd-5th (Oct 3rd is a National Holiday) 7 21.21%
October 10th-12th 9 27.27%
October 17th-19th 6 18.18%
October 24th-26th 5 15.15%
October 31st-November 2nd 6 18.18%
November 7th-9th 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
verticalcult

Autum 2008 Meet and Greet Dates

So you all know it. You all want it. You all better think about it and vote. Yep, it's the all new bigger and better, super-duper,cat's guts, deluxe, doule cheese with extra olives and chili, diet special, whopper-whammer, mother of all, best of the best KOTR Autum Meet and Greet.
Pick a date, or several (your choice isn't limited to only one weekend) and spread the word. Call your climbing bum mates (what you call them is entirely up to you...liability for any and all consequent bodily injuries is denied), get on their case and vote, vote, vote!
For newer types to KOTR, we have these Meet and Greets twice a year (Spring and Autum), as the major events on our loosely structured calender. They are held at a suitable crag and are a blend of climbing, camping, cooking, eating, drinking, drumming, guitaring, dancing, and meeting all those other people who have joined in KOTR in some way. Friends of KOTRers are also welcomed, and if you bring a Korean climber/ partner you get bonus points. Sometimes we have awards - rarely too serious! Sometimes we have merchandise (Tees, patches, stickers etc), Sometimes there is a book swap, and sometimes there are instruction sessions for those who want to learn something (knots, trad gear placing, belaying, leading, hangover cures, pancake making etc). The format is usually Fri-Sun. The "organaized" bits being Sat night dinner (often a Tex-Mex themed group work effort, but anything is possible) and Sun morning breakfast (pancakes are a popular fave here, but again suggest alternatives. Me? I like crepes way more, and bacon and eggs sounds damn fine too!).
I can't stress enough that these are just bloody awesome events. The Olympics is a poor second, the World Cup pales to insignificance. So strap on your lycra tights, here we go!
Unread 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Climb<암벽등반>

I'm really looking forward to joining meet & meeting KOTRers.
BTW, any initiation?? If so, I'm scared to join... kidding ^-^..
I'm too old to be afraid of being a new comer.
Please let me know if there are any help from me for these meet & greets, I'll see what I can do for you.
PS : my work hour is everywhere, so I might not be able to join full three
days. Just one or at best two days. I'll follow any dates chosen.
Unread 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Climber of Rocks

I'm lame, goin' for the long we's. Let's make some super-duper un-cool, coolness happen.
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Aggressive Sheep

sorry but i voted "no" on all weekends b/c the thought of Jake in lycra tights scares the $#it out of me!!
Unread 08-11-2008, 10:58 PM
peace

Quote:
sorry but i voted "no" on all weekends b/c the thought of Jake in lycra tights scares the $#it out of me!!
. . . agreed. . . especially the
Quote:
strap on
kind. . .

and I realize we changes the autumn/spring location, but what's wrong with south of the border and pancake breakfast!?!? many folks who don't live on a base or near a Costco journey hundreds of kilometers for just these very things. . . !?
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Halla Hanger

Shouldnt we begin some sort of initiation? I'd happily submit myself, unless noraebanging with Eric and Jake in Daejeon counted as my own hazing.
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Halla Hanger

In fact, my ears have recently stopped bleeding, but some of that might have actually been self-inflicted.
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Halla Hanger

The long weekends would be nice for any hagwan-ers. What would transportation be like for Chuseok though?

All in all, any weekend works. October 17-19 is my birthday weekend and I'd love to celebrate with ya'all.
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
verticalcult

Any ideas for extra events would be awesome! Initiation rites (no Les mate, that 노래방 session doesn't count, but as you're an old hand at KOTR why stress?) are a great idea...as long as we don't get too frat-boy/girlie about it. I will see if I can borow a beam projector (and maybe a notebook computer) from Uni and set that up (with a white sheet screen) to show night videos etc. Other ideas are the book-swap (climbing and non-climbing titles) and slack-line comp. We could also again do the KOTR prizes thing. For best bumbly, coolest belay-slave, travelled furthest to attend M&G, whatever.
Oh and in case you forgot, VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE! And nag your KOTR buddies to VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE.
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:17 AM
breaking in my skin

Based on the tendency for most English teachers to only come for a year, wouldn't the good majority of the m&g be newbies and thus subject to the initiation/hazing? Not that I'm complaining, as long as I don't have to do anything I'm morally against, like eat bag-kimichi, I'm game. Also down for a book swap and everything else mentioned.

One question, I brought none of my camping gear to Korea. If this is a camping-type activity, would there be a minbak or something nearby for myself and those like me to crash in?