Artificial Walls
Artificial Wall Photos
User Links
Today's Posts
Korea Links
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Working it out
I've been to Ulsan a few times and didn't really see much camping potential--where are you thinking Mike and Rick? I know of the nice bathrooms near the paved parking lot but I don't recall any other toilet facilities. I also don't remember any place where you can buy large quantity water except way down at the mt. base near all the minbaks. I'm not trying to be the rain on your parades, I'm just curious.
I can only get better....because I can't get any worse!
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
tinker bell
if rick is thinking of the same place i am, there is a dirt parking lot about 50 meters or so bellow the main parking lot that deffinetly has enough room for a tent city. I have been on the lower trails as well and there is alot of other areas to camp down there. as far as water is concerned I have always just bought water form Adjama on the mountain or brought a few big bottles up with me and refilled them at the spring. I know people have said not to do this but the Mountain Shaman has offered us water almost every time i have been there.
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Ground hugger
Early April

My vote would be for Early April. I'll be away for about 4 months from the 20-something-th of April.

Anywhere easy to get to with a good mix of climbs would be great.

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Steadily growing stronger...
Some thoughts on Munsusan:

Before we talk too much about camping in that parking lot, we should probably have someone who speaks Korean call the park office and ask permission... it is easy to poach camping when there are only a few of us, but when there are forty of us, it gets a little more difficult.

Also, if it rains, it will be muddy...

There is no place to wash dishes there other than the bathroom sinks.

Munsusan COULD work, but we need to check some things out first.
Do not go quiet into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)

Last edited by climbhigher14k : 03-04-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Halla Hanger
While on a map it looks centrally located, from my playing with bus and train schedules, it would take less time for those of us in Jeollanamdo to get to Ganhyeon than it would to get to Ulsan (for most of us down here, Ulsan is about 6 hours on a bus at least, not including the taxi). Not that that should be a deciding factor for the date for everyone, but if we are also looking at a lack of camping services and a fair distance from public transportation, maybe there are better options available.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Aggressive Sheep
Originally Posted by climbhigher14k
Some thoughts on Munsusan:
Before we talk too much about camping in that parking lot, we should probably have someone who speaks Korean call the park office and ask permission... it is easy to poach camping when there are only a few of us, but when there are forty of us, it gets a little more difficult.
Also, if it rains, it will be muddy...
There is no place to wash dishes there other than the bathroom sinks.
Munsusan COULD work, but we need to check somethings out first.

this is what i was pushing to the group when i posted. i know there are unanswered concerns about this spot and answering the questions kris posed is key to Munsusan being a viable option.
mike and i are thinking of the same place...i should have mentioned that after less than a 100 meters, the road/dirt parking lot (below the main lot) continues for a while and all that has been decommissioned (i.e., overgrown, grassy, but still flat) so the mud issue won't be that bad. pre-fab shelter on the other hand is non-existant.
water is an issue: we would clean out the tiny shop at the parking lot in no time, but with minimal coordination we could alleviate this problem (those with cars stock up and 'sell' at cost).
as far as "better alternatives" go, seonunsan and kanhyon are clearly better in the camping department, although both lack in certain climbing grades. both DO have their options but seonunsan is lacking in the 10b and below and kanhyon lacks in the 10c-11d range.
does anyone know in what range Munsusan lacks?
my main point for raising this option is to offer the only potential alternative i've heard of in the last 2 years...unless we want to revisit the yeongseo pakpo option...
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
mastering the pull-up
I kind of feel that if we did Munsusan, we would have to skip our unsual evening and morning feasts. I am pretty sure that the only place to do dishes is in the bathrooms and I don't think we should do that. Forty foreigners washing bean pots and pancake batter down a couple bathroom sinks would look pretty bad. The same thing woud apply (even more so) to Yongseo Pokpo.
"The best climber in the world is the one who is having the most fun" - Alex Lowe
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, well you know there is that less visited cliff in Seonunsan called Mun-Bawi that has a bout 8 routes in the 5.8-5.10a range. I know they aren't all great routes, but...
It's a good point that chickenlegs raised about our washing dishes etc. Like it or not, our M&G's are very public and a open to critical viewing by the population as a whole. Because we are a really big group, and foreigners to boot, we really have to make sure we are clean, un-offensive and so on. Hats off to Mike and Dave who cleaned up other peoples garbage at Yongseo last weekend, and generally do so each time they are out. Likewise to Joe Park and the crew who cleaned up after our night at Ganhyeon 2 wweeks ago. Deadset champions!
A green M&G should always be our goal. REminds me of the thread Ricky started about toilets at Seonunsan (Sonunsan)...
quem deus perdere vult, primus dementat
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
wow. . . it is the same as always!!

i guess i vote for sununsan (though it will be sad to skip halmae) . . . it is an amazing place for people who are new to korea, has plenty to do in case of rain (temple, tea shop, sauna) . . . convenient camping, and as jake mentioned, easy grades at mun bawi.

if we go early season, everyone can meet and greet and make plans to hit all the other places all spring

that said, i am down for anywhere and pretty much anytime. . .
"If you can't do something well, you might as well learn to enjoy doing it poorly." -- from a de-motivational poster, but I find it oddly liberating!
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Point Dume
Correction: It was Amelie who did the cleaning up at Ganhyeon (I was just looking for my missing lens). Jake's mis-attribution, however, does nudge me to want to clean up in the future : )

Hmm, Munbawi . . . I think that's where I sacrificed Hans's carabiner to bail out due to early snow and . . . lack of strength . . . and fear. It probably still lives there. I guess we must all confront our dark pasts some time or another.
Joe Park