Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM
verticalcult

Meet and Greet Food and Provisions List

OK the threads were getting unweildly so use this thread to post what you can and will bring foodwise. Sorry Maggie I know you already did this, but everyone else can do it here too.
As Maggie noted Frypans and kitchen knives are typically in short supply, as are chopping boards. Usually food and drinks are in excess, but please also think about buying those special rubbish bags (쓰레기봉투) for the trash. These must be local area bags (get them from the little shops at Ganhyeon), as revenues are used by local councils. I spoke to Eric and Karean this morning (living it up in Montreal) and they wish everyone the very best! Bon appetit!
Unread 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Aggressive Sheep

this thread seems a bit more inviting...

as usual, i'll bring p-cake mix, bananas, and walnuts. any other goodies you want in your cakes, please BYO.
shall we do a mexican feast again?

other info:
here is a map of the Kanhyon area
there was mention of camping on the other side of Kanhyon. that location is marked on the map. otherwise camping is usually located on the village side of the bridge (with beach camping close by).
Unread 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Seorak Sender

Okay, let's try to get this organized. I am assuming we are going to do burritos on Sat. night. I am going to post a list of what we need to have including food and cooking supplies and then people can add their names, like we did for the fall meet and greet. If we have someone with base access that wants to volunteer to get a bunch of stuff and then people without car access can volunteer to bring cash that would work as well. So here goes. If I miss something someone can add it on.

Refried Beans
Cheese (2 blocks)
Guacamole - Julie (one tub)
Onions - Julie
Bell Peppers
Tortillas
mushrooms (?)
Tomatos
Lettuce
Tortilla chips
Salsa

2 large frying pans
2 cook stoves
2 spatulas for flipping
Knives for cutting
chopping boards
cheese grater
paper plates
plastic cups

Sounds like Ricardo's got everything for breakfast, except blueberries, if anyone wants blueberry pancakes. And I think someone already volunteered to bring cooking oil and coffee.

Did I forget anything?
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
mastering the pull-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie
Did I forget anything?

Sour cream for the burritos. It's really cheap at COSTCO (like W5,000).

Kris and I would offer to bring lots of food since we have a car, but now that we live way out in the middle of nowhere, it's not easy to get Western food. And I HATE going to Seoul!
Unread 09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
mastering the pull-up

Not related to food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo
camping is usually located on the village side of the bridge (with beach camping close by).

Unless the stream goes down a LOT, there won't be any beach camping. As of Saturday, the water was covering all of the beach. We'll be there Friday afternoon and try to stake out an area to accommodate everyone if there isn't any beach.
Unread 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
peace

Of course, we'll play it by ear. . . as we'll likely arrive early Fri, were you thinking of camping where we did last year or further down by the 2nd railroad bridge (I like the former, as many folks arrive late and it's easier to find. . . as well as closer to the crags. . ., but the latter is more "remote")

As there was 12 days straight of rain, I can see the beach being minimal last weekend, however, that can change drastically in one week if there is no/little rain! BTW, is the KOTR banner still in Korea? Does anyone still have it and/or Gumby and/or Pokey. . . these things should all make it to the M&G!

J & K-- we'll see you Fri afternoon!. . . maybe scope it out?! and block everything with our cars?!
Unread 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Seorak Sender

Newbie...

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about making my way to the meet and greet this weekend. The only thing is is that I am pretty inexperienced at climbing. I've only done a bit of indoor wall climbing and I have no gear what-so-ever.

I'm living in Suwon so I think the best way to get there would be by bus from Suwon to Wonju? If someone could help me out with how to get there, climbing gear or anything really it would be much appreciated!

Thanks alot and hopefully I'll see you all this weekend!

Kimberly
Unread 09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Ayeishi!

Just skip to the bottom and don't even read the rest.

Just get your booty to Ganhyeon, Kimberly. What size are your feet?

I have one of those elephant castle Thai curry packs. I could whip one of those up and bring some rice. What d'you say? Or should we just leave it at exclusive burrito night? I'm assuming this is all for Saturday, right?
I could also bring a jar of Jalepeno peppers for the burritos and contribute some money.

Gear: Rope or Draws. I'd rather bring one or the other since I'm coming from Mokpo by bus and it's so freakin' heavy to carry all that shiz.
I'm thinking rope is better than draws.
We'd better get a list of what gear will be available so we don't have too little or too much.

Okay so

Thai curry- yes or no?
Jalepeno peppers - yes or no?
Rope - yes or no?
Draws- yes or no?
Extra shoes size 4.5 mens 5.5 women's- yes or no?
Unread 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
tinker bell

Kim if you are looking for travel partners in your area there is a group of us heading out friday night form Songtan which is 5 subway stops south of you on the #1 line.
Unread 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
peace

Head count?

We should try to get a headcount-- last time I think Eric actually did a "I'm coming Fri and/or Sat and/or Sun" poll to better plan for food. I know, for example, I can't do coffee for more than say 10-15 on Sunday!

Who will be around Friday? I'd be willing to set up the grill for veggies and/or do a Thai curry. I can also buy food and bring it if others were to chip in. Sorry, though, my grill is vegetarian

I just got a new tent that seems to have some extra space. . . interested? PM me!