Artificial Walls
Artificial Wall Photos
User Links
Today's Posts
Korea Links
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 08-24-2007, 12:36 PM
seoul end-of-summer bbq/campout/climbing w/e???

alright, while goofing around in gwangmyeong, kim-lee, paula, tom and i had the amazing brainstorm to have an end-of-summer bbq and maybe campout climbing day/weekend this fall. because the idea is too good to just drop and let it go to waste, i'm posting it here and looking for feedback.

THIS IS NOT A MEET-N-GREET! not because those aren't super-cool, but just because i am way too lazy to try and get together something as formal as that. it's going to be in the seoul region, because i am too lazy to go on a big trip, and i know littledigits has trouble making it much farther than gwangmyeong too (such an adventurous bunch we are!)... BUT, anyone and everyone is welcome (KOTRer or not, but we may need some RSVP action so that we aren't overwhelmed)! even if you're flying in from jeju-do (in fact, if you do THAT this lazy grrl has the utmost respect for your energetic being and will give you a lounging salute!)...

so here are my thoughts (b-team, littledigits, tom - if you ever sign up on this site - i want your help!)...

we thought it might be easy and fun to have the bbq at a climbing wall (if we can get permission)...sociable, easy to transport, unique...this could be gwangmyeong, eungbong, dangogae, etc... the only problem with this is a conceivable lack of camping areas - but could be a good one-day idea.

alternatively, there are the boulders at the bottom of dobong-san (haven't been yet, but i hear they're good), the campground and boulders at insubong/bhukansan, and other areas which i am sure are there and am just waiting for you to tell me about...

or we could go climbing, have the bbq on my roof (close to bhukansan), find someplace to sleep (folks are welcome to crash at my place, if they can fit, that is...) and go climbing again the next day...

other than that, what do you guys think about food, etc? a couple of us provide bbqs, charcoal, etc... and then it's BYO-everything-else (i.e.: steak, veggie burgers, chicken, 삼겹살, stout, margheritas, veggies n' dip, corn-on-the-cob, etc?)?

we could get some speakers and kim-lee could be our dj (yes, i love your taste in music, kim-lee!)...

as for dates, i vote for NOT chuseok weekend and NOT the meet-n-greet weekend ('cause i wanna go there too, of course...)

again, this is just an idea...still waiting for feedback from any and all interested parties...what do YOU think would be fun?

Unread 08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Well Dee, KL et al. . . if that's the only way we in the provinces'll get to see y'all. . .
"If you can't do something well, you might as well learn to enjoy doing it poorly." -- from a de-motivational poster, but I find it oddly liberating!
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Thumbs up

Orright then, sounds good. Must be min-baks etc about for over-nighting. Pick a date and make it happen, we'll wander up. Cheers Heidi!
quem deus perdere vult, primus dementat
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:20 PM
yay! i'm so glad you guys want to come! now i'll have no excuse! it HAS to happen!

sonia, don't worry! i'm still planning on coming to the meet n' greet! wish me luck getting my car there in one piece! poor sam is really having a hard time of it...

Unread 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Seorak Sender

You can count me in dee, just let me know the time and place. It'll be great to see ya again.
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:56 PM
. . . you mention of Margaritas made me feel, well, espeially wanted

. . . you are braver than I. . . anything near Seoul and I am bussing it! Cha Cha doesn't do Seoul (though she might make it to Gwangyang, park, and let me go to Seoul!). . . and Dee, come on! You can train out to Kanhyon these days!!

First weekend of October we can celebrate my 1 year anniversary of quitting smoking (well, cigarettes, nicotine/tobacco!)

I have off from Thurs 2:30 this semester-- so anything on a weekend in Seoul I will try to combine with some business (mostly Fri). . . (that's a vaguely hinted at request for a place to crash Thus and/or Fri PM!)

I like the idea of rooftop party-- have been to many great rooftop bashes in Haebangcheon. . . though admittledly the best were thown by my gay friends, and included hot-tubs (essentially inflatable pools with piped in hot H20!) . . . I hardly expect you to throw a party like business-people gay guys! Still. . . anyone have an inflatable kiddie-pool? Giant Kimchi container (that'll hold 6?!) We can buy hose cheap or all bring stoves to heat H20

I haven't been to Dobangsan since Taejun! OMG! Obviously it's gotta be in the book, so if anyone would wake up Sun and want to head there. . . I have a rope and rack. . . if your home is close, all the better. . .

I think there are several KOTRers in the Nowon NE Seoul area. . . maybe they could spread out the attendees and we could meet up for some Seoninbong-ing. . . Sept 29-30 or Oct 6-7 have my "vote" . . .
"If you can't do something well, you might as well learn to enjoy doing it poorly." -- from a de-motivational poster, but I find it oddly liberating!
Unread 08-25-2007, 12:07 AM
thread killer
..umm yeah, I second everything climbergrrl said^^ hopefully the bouldering posse will partake!
Unread 08-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Seorak Sender
I'm in Heidi! I will admit that the idea of a roof bbq sounds awesome...although unfair to you to have to host of all this!

I'm in for what the grand jury decision will be! Just let me know when and I can give you guys a hand with the planning if needed.
Unread 08-26-2007, 10:10 AM
cool...i' m glad everyone is stoked...for sure we want to see the boulderers come out! maybe a day of roped climbing (bbq at wall?), followed by roof something or not (bbq on roof?), followed by a day at the 'bong would induce them to come out of the woodwork? dave? other boulderers? thoughts on this?

as for hostessing, thanks for your concern amelie, but i don't plan to be too energetic about it...i figure if you just find a place, provide a bbq, people bring food and drinks, it's pretty much done...i wasn't thinking of doing a big entertainment show...although maybe we could set up a slackline on the roof, that would be entertaining!

and sonia...congrats on quitting the nicotine! i don't have anything against smokers, (except when they make ME smell like smoke, or light up when they're standing next to a pregnant woman or something), but i DO know that it takes a lot of strength to quit and that many people feel much better for having done it! i'm really proud of and happy for you!

okay guys, good job...keep the suggestions coming...nobody has really mentioned dates though...what do you all think of the first weekend in october, just as a suggestion? the 6/7th? that way, it won't interfere with chuseok plans, or the meet n' greet weekend, presumably...and people won't have to have their septembers packed? we can celebrate the end of the hot weather...friction will be getting good at the 'bong or any bouldering place we may decide to go to...
Unread 08-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Aggressive Sheep
bouldering, rooftop BBQ...this sounds like fun! i'll do my best to make it whenever y'all decide to do it.