Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 03-23-2008, 04:07 AM
Seorak Sender

Camping

We just got to Korea and looking for some cool places to go camping/hiking. The only catch is, we don't want to stay on the normal routes or huts. Anyone know of any good places to go and get lost and not in trouble for camping?

Fitz
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
mastering the pull-up

So, I feel bad that nobody has responded, but honestly, there just really aren't many places like that... especially if you don't have a car. The hills are usually too steep to poach cool camping and most places like national parks are just too populated for things like that. Sorry!
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
verticalcult

Yeah, it sounds weird at first but Jess is right. Most National and Provincial Parks have a camp only in the designated area policy that is easily monitored by virtue of the traffic and geography...still, you could get lucky by camping during weekdays/nights and going to some of the lesser known parks. Hell even the western half of Seoraksan is only about 20% as busy as the main "inner" part. Another option is to camp on an uninhabited island (mu-in-do). If you happen to be around the coast (particularly the Southern coast) this is possible. We've done it. You either need to hire a fisherman to take you there and back (at a given date/ time) or have access to a boat yourself. It's not as complex as it sounds, and can be great fun.
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Ground hugger

Beach camping

Hi,
I'm just about to put up an invite for camping here, but I thougth I'd reply to this first.

It's kind of early in the season, and still fairly cold, but if the weather holds, there will be a beach party / overnight camp on a small island called Shinji-do, next to Wando, in Jeollanamdo provence (south western corner of S.Korea). It's not exactly out in the wilderness, but it should be a bit of fun if you're up for it.

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Seorak Sender

hello all,

When are you looking at doing the camping trip to Shinji-do? I know that I would be interested in making that trip. I'm pretty sure Fitz and another friend would be interested also. We all got here around the same time and we are all waiting on our camping stuff to arrive. Should be soon tho. Hit us up with some details. laters!
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Jiri Jammer

What about national forests? I went for a hike in Baegunsan national forest on Friday, and it didn't look like they had all the rules of national parks, and a lot of the trails didn't look that well used - we never actually found the trail we meant to start on, and did a completely different route than planned, but it was still a wonderful day. Not all national forests seem that sizable, but Baegunsan is big enough for a challenging day hike or two day hike with a pack, and I'm sure others are too... I'm just not sure where to get the maps. I'm going to make more of an effort to find them now that I know what gems they can be!
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
peace

Off season and mid-week, even national parks are empty. . . provincial parks and islands (as mentioned) are good ideas. . . though even in "remote" areas you're likely to find a gazebo and/or signs of previous people. Gwanmaedo is a haul, but a lovely island with total potential to get lost! Besides me on the ferry there were two Korean bikers with full get up. . . we all disappeared for a couple of days. A car definitely helps, but if you're up for adventuring with local busses, go far it. Finally, don't be too discouraged by so many people. . . so someone in the sticks and the people are part of the adventure!

The "Youngam Alps" area N of Busan and W of Ulsan has a lot of trails through the mountains that are linked. . . you could spend days getting lost, and if you're backpacking with public transport, you don't have to worry about a loop.
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Ground hugger

Beach Camping

Hey,
If you are interested in the camp at the beach, check out this thread.

If you have any more questions about it, feel free to send me a pm or email me.

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Off season and mid-week, even national parks are empty. . . provincial parks and islands (as mentioned) are good ideas. . . though even in "remote" areas you're likely to find a gazebo and/or signs of previous people. Gwanmaedo is a haul, but a lovely island with total potential to get lost! Besides me on the ferry there were two Korean bikers with full get up. . . we all disappeared for a couple of days. A car definitely helps, but if you're up for adventuring with local busses, go far it. Finally, don't be too discouraged by so many people. . . so someone in the sticks and the people are part of the adventure!

The "Youngam Alps" area N of Busan and W of Ulsan has a lot of trails through the mountains that are linked. . . you could spend days getting lost, and if you're backpacking with public transport, you don't have to worry about a loop.

Can you give me some more info on Gwanmaedo? How did you get there? How often did the ferry run? Cost? When did you go there?

I'd like more info on these Youngam Alps also. Do you have coordinates pinpointing the area you speak of?
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:19 PM
peace

Gwanmae-do info is here. It's been a long time, so double check ferries, etc.

The Youngam Alps is the name given to the "range" in Gyeong-nam. It's not exactly a pin-point area, but I believe it includes Biseolsan, Yeongchuksan, the ice valley, Gajisan. . .