Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
View Poll Results: Where do you want to have 2009 Spring M&G?
Seonunsan 선운산 (Seoksal bawi etc) - Jeong Eup Gun (정읍군) 12 38.71%
Ganhyeon 간현 - Wonju city area (원주시) 13 41.94%
Maisan 마이산 (Albawi + OPera House) - Jinan city (지난시) 15 48.39%
Other - 기타 1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-01-2009, 01:09 AM
verticalcult

2009 Spring Meet and Greet Venue/ Crag

OK so now you can vote on where you want to have the M&G. Remember the key points are that the place must have:
1-facilities for 50+ climbers (camping, toilets, water, relatively easy access)
2-a good number of climbs at all (or most all) grades
3-Be in South Korea, and legal.
The following options are the traditional options we discuss every year. So no surprises for old timers in Korea, but if there is a new alternative, feel free to vote for it and tell everyone about it's superior merits.
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Climb<암벽등반>

Jake mate, Thanks million for throwing your effort into providing us with M & G prep. I can't wait to meet and greet people at Meet and Greet spring 2009!
All I wanna do is to pray my day off falls on the date you guys will choose
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Danielle: peek-a-boo anticipation

Book Swap

I propose an English-Book Swap. I have read many books while in Korea and I would like to share them with everyone. I am sure others have books they would love to trade!
Unread 03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
<--Sean

Maisan for me, but it's the closest and I have to take buses so I'm biased.
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
verticalcult

OK So Maisan is looking popular, but as some people said, it's not so easy to get to by public transport...so PLEASE ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA post (again) the options and directions.
Nearest major cities are:
Jinan (지난), small town on the very edge of Maisan. We want entrance at other side of the park though, not the main entrance right next to Jinan.
Jeonju (전주), nearest railway station, and a shortish bus ride away. From Seoul you can train to Cheonan (6.40am) transfer (20min wait) and leave (8.03am) to get to Jeonju by 10.30am...from there you should need only an hour to be at the Maisan campground. Hopefully.
Unread 03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Lindsey

I lived in Jinan for a year and used to walk to the crag at Maisan, so I'll post basic stuff here and you can PM me for specific info!

If you're taking a train to Jeonju, you'll need to taxi to the 시외 (she-way) bus terminal in Jeonju as it is not at all in the same part of town (2,500-4,000 won depending on traffic). If you're taking an express bus to Jeonju, you can leave the bus terminal, go up the stairs to the street, and walk left five minutes to hit the She-way terminal (ask for directions if you're unsure).

Jinan is only accessible via bus. The bus ride takes about 40-45 minutes. Buses go every 30 minutes or less from Jeonju (but the last one leaves at 9:05 pm, so be careful). There's a direct bus from Seoul that goes twice a day, one from Daejeon that is six times a day, and that's about it...

There are three buses a day from Jinan to Maisan Tapsa (마이산 탑사, the temple entrance), leaving at 9:20 or 9:30 am (I forgot), 1:55 pm, and 4:50 pm. It takes about ten minutes. There are many buses to Maisan (마이산) but this is not where you want to go, unless you really want to hike 1 hour 30 minutes up and over the mountain and down to the other entrance... also, this is definitely rural Korea, so don't expect people to know English!

Otherwise you can take a taxi from Jinan to Maisan Tapsa for about 10,000 won (whine and be crabby if they want you to pay more).

A taxi from Jeonju to Jinan is 30,000, it's a set price, so they won't use the meter and you can't negotiate this.

Personally, I didn't vote for Maisan because I don't think the two crags will hold 50 people! They are small and there isn't really any "overflow" room where you could stand back and watch. Plus I have seen Opera House absolutely PACKED with just Korean climbers, so if you added 20 people to that...

But vote for what you will, I'll be there regardless!
Unread 03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
send train

i'll go anywhere, but i just can't seem to get stoked on opera house.
Unread 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
verticalcult

I know that Maisan is a little smaller than the other crags, but with Halmaebawi still "officially" off-limits Seonunsan has but a few decent climbs below 5.10b for the many newbies who will be at the M&G. Also with the recent construction there the camp ground is a little smaller than it used to be. Like Maisan it has slightly harder public transport access issues.
Ganhyeon is probably the best crag always for large get togethers, but it can be and often is super crowded on Sundays. We must leave some space for the Korean locals and others too!
I feel bad that the southern crew usually have to travel so much for M&Gs, but until some kind of logistically suitable crag can be found, that's just how it is.
If Maisan is chosen (I voted for the G and Maisan, but really don't mind) Kyung Ah will need to reserve the camp-ground spaces and get us permissions to drive right up (like last year) etc. If you don't have a car or a lift, Ganhyeon is your best vote. If you like unique rock and burly moves at any grade, Maisan. If you love your limestone then hit up Seonunsan.
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
velocity girl

i'm cool for either maisan or ganhyeon or seonunsan...does anyone want to meet early for some climbing (say thurs?) at the designated place? (or, if it's maisan or seonunsan, we could always hit one and then head to the other for the mng, for some variety. they're close to each other.)

also, danielle, i'm IN for the book swap! i'll try to post a thread with titles later!

anyone interested in a gear/clothing swap, as well? i have some stuff that i don't use that i'd be willing to trade/sell off...maybe we could have a big gear swap in korea...there's a couple of great ones in canada that i miss every year because i'm here...

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Seorak Sender

I haven't been to any of the places, so I am down for anything! If I had to choose one, I guess I would choose whatever is closest to Daegu.