Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
pizzle nizzle

Deep water soloing in Thailand

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on doing some dws in Thailand sometime this winter. After searching through the forums it looks like a handful of you have checked it out and I was hoping to ween some beta from yall specifically:

1) Is winter an ok time to go dws? I have no clue about what the weather will be like during this time and whether falling into water is a good idea during this season.

2)Are there certain areas that are better than others? I climb ~5.11 and dont mind flailing on a 12. From what I gathered, "Poda Island" seems to be a good spot?

3) Should I hook up with a guiding service? If so who? Is it possible to just rent a kayak and go for it or is this a bad idea?

4) What about accomodations? I can pretty much sleep anywhere so I wouldn't mind finding somewhere cheapish, as long as it is close to the climbing.

5) I wouldn't mind checking out some of the sport climbing as well, so any suggestions on that would be great!

Thanks A TON for any help!

-Paul
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
peace

Haven't been since '08, but winter is warm there. . . back in '99 (I think) there were a few evenings when it dipped into the mid-60s! Crazy. Generally it'll be too hot to climb (at least in the sun) during the day. . . bring lots of chalk!

We rented sea kayaks and DWS on our own-- a friend had a pair of shoes for me to use, but I think even the shops will rent you old shoes for this purpose. Ao Nang tower is close to Tonsai and is good for a few hours of DWS. Watch the tides.

Winter is high season, so prices tend to go up, and accomodation gets filled faster. You can usually get something. There were a few cheap places way back in the jungle. Prices go up with amenities and proximity to the beach.

Do Humanality! Pretty soon after you get there and onsight-- get up early though so you can be first in line. Monkey World is good in the afternoon (after 2ish) and Thaiwand wall also, though the grades are steeper. Really, there are classics everywhere. . . but some get crowded and others are getting very polished.
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:36 PM
verticalcult

Yeah you can't go too wrong by just turning up and sorting yourself out at Railay/ Tonsai. If you're flying in to Bangkok, pre-book a flight (return!!!!) on AirAsia (www.airasia.com) to Krabi and then take the bus/ longtail boat combo (about 1100Baht I think) to get to either West Railay or Tonsai. Plenty warm enough to climb or DWS, but be a little careful of simplly paddling out to any old rock (esp an island) as some are protected by gun-toting locals who have the rigghts to climb the cliffs and collect extremely expensive "swallows nests" for a regional delicacy...ask about at one of the several climbing shops there as to wear the best DWS is, and what the tide charts are like.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Halla Hanger

you'll need to go with a group/long boat to get ot to the really classic areas, ie - poda. most of the climbing shops will offer such trips. at least let them show you around the first time, then you can see if you can organize something on your own. MIGHT see you out there this winter!!
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:56 PM
pizzle nizzle

awesome! thanks for the info everyone!
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Jiri Jammer

if you go down to the boats by firewall you can hire a boat for half a day and it was cheaper than the shops if you get a group of 6 of you together. he'll also chuck in a kayak and his boat has a little sound system. he's the long haired dude and you can usually find him hanging round the slackline at the bar in between bamboo and small world, he was a cool guy. i wish i could remember how much it was, and while i was there bear in mind it was low season bamboo was cheap as hell for a very basic hut, the owner jack (probably not his real name) was a nice bloke and lent me his crutches, they give a discount if you downpay for a week, although everywhere probably does it. enjoy, damn i wish my trip wasn't cut 2 weeks short!
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Jiri Jammer

oh yeah also you can take the van from outside the kfc to ao nang for 100 baht and the boat is another 100, just make sure you say tonsai, he dumped me at railay east and the tide was to high to walk round.
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
pizzle nizzle

dude nice....did you just recently go?