Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
verticalcult

Maisan 3-5 Oct - Thanks and farewell!

It was a gi-normous weekend out at Maisan this was. From Friday onwards a great and groovy team of KOTR's finest got it together and got in on at the crazy crags of Maisan.
First up though to Rick and Adrienne who are the departing KOTRers and the sweetest groovin' people ever. Fare thee well, you shall be sorely missed here, it's really our loss that you're moving on. Thanks to you guys, KOTR and so much more has really grown into what it is today. Love and wishes!
Major thanks also and again to the people who made it all possible. Kyung Ah for phoning, organizing and getting the discounts, entries and so on. The Park staff for giving us a welcoming hand and free access and car entry, the camp-ground staff who went outta their way to get us settled in, provided way cheap and clean facilities (check out the Maisan -Opera House climb info page), and even gave us a huge pile of bon-fire wood. Also the pork restaurant staff for handling a sudden influx of nigh 20 foreign smelly climbers, and sending us away full and super satisfied with 5 bottles of free makkoli!!
Great to see so many people out there, new and old. Impossible to mention you all, but especially to the new guys Dave, Mike, Anna, Will, Nick, Kristy (Christy/Christie?) and Dale who had an absolute EPIC getting to us, thanks for your patience and hope we see you out often and soon!
Albawi was a great time for all, and Opera House saw some amazing action too, from KOTRers and Koreans alike. Rick, Heather and Alec...how close were your send projects?! Oh man great stuff! Thanks Les and well done on the onsight attempts on the 10b,c and d! Pix are up on my facebook, soon on KOTR. If you want full-size of any pm or e-mail me.
See you cats at the G next weekend! Jake and Kyung Ah
Unread 10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Climber of Rocks

It went with two falls in the end... it's goin' next run. Especially now that I don't have the I'm-a-lame-***-for-not-sending-on-the-fourth-go mentality. Rick could and should have done it clean, but there was a line and therefore pressure building. Alec will mos def get it next time we go. It'll have to be a nice little get together again.

And I want to second everything Jake said. Special thanks to Kyung Ah and a teary farewell to Rick. Adrienne you're mine for the next few weeks!! Just kidding.
Unread 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
peace

I'd like to third that, and personally thank the Korean climbers at OH on Friday-- great to see so many old and new friends!! Good to meet some new KOTRers whilst losing Rick is the end of an era. . .

Also, Jake brought up a good point this weekend that Maisan is now on the table for meets and greets, as it offers different levels and lots of great inexpensive camping/minbak options, facilities, plus a great cultural experience etc. . . and the campground guy, (we should all send a thank you to him and his supervisors) and restaurant folks were just awesome! Photos are posted on the Maisan campground website.

Of course, for a Meet and Greet I'd suggest making super big signs at all of the turnoffs!! But I guess all the new people enjoyed their initiation hikes around the mountain!

Last edited by skinsk : 10-07-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Unread 10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Aggressive Sheep

thank you all so much for putting together such a kick @$$ Korean finale!! Kyung Ah, you out did yourself this time...the arrangements for camping and parking were most appreciated, but the bonfire just made the weekend! it was so great to see everyone (old and new) for drinks, laughs, black pig, climbs, and a few more drinks.
the rock and routes of Korea will definitely be missed but it's the climbers that i've met over the last 3+ years that are so difficult to say bye to. y'all have seen me go from crying my way up a 5.8 toprope when i first got here to sending 11b just one year later. for one reason or another, the rest of my years there were spent fighting my way up 10's. this would normally frustrate the hell out of me, but climbing fun and the KOTR posse kept me from leaving the RoK (i'm an example of how the "rock warrior's way" helps you climb lower grades!).
well, my project Maisan Tango: i might have actually sent it on my 2nd try except i screwed up my footwork (that i spent 20 minutes testing and confirming on my first run) on the first lunge. after that, the pump and pressure got to me. Heather...now it's up to you to send it for the both of us!!

i will miss you all!! feel free to look us up if you're jonesin for jungle routes, beach bouldering, and DWS!
cheers!

-ricardo