Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM
<--Sean

Thoughts on a Spring Meet and Greet

Haven't been on here since last summer as I don't ice climb and get caught up kiteboarding when the water is warm, but I am hoping a spring meet and greet will come together within the next couple of months. Seems like the KOTR forum traffic has lightened since I was looking at it last year, hopefully that doesn't mean there aren't plently of old and new people willing to get together this year.

It's my last summer in korea, hoping to make some new friends and memories and have a great time once more, and the meet and greet last year in march ended up being amazing with over 20 people at yeongso (for those that were there.) I hope we can make it happen again.

I'm always partial to yeongso for groups, as there is plenty of camping space and the convenient minbak at the bottom, and climbing for all levels. But whatever the location hopefully we can organize and pick a date and place in april maybe. Hopefully there is a whole new group of new people along with old.

The gunsan air force crew is surprisingly large this year and we have about 7-8 climbers in our gym everyday prepping for real rock so we'll bring a party wherever we go (good military types, not the obnoxious terrible ones...lol)

So.....what does everyone think, do english teachers have any 3 day weekends in april? Where do people want to go....yeonsgo yeongso yengso........I hope to have a good response.
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
초보자

Whoa, that Yeongseo place seems really awesome... judging from description and pics on the site, at least.
Depending on when the trip will be, I'd like to tag along!
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:12 PM
pastafarian

Hi Sean,

I made it up to Yeongso to work some climbs a bunch of weekends last year... Its a beautiful place and the lines rock!

But but but....

One weekend I camped up the top of the crag by a club from Seoul listening to people partying down by the waterfall below. I heard the odd bottle smashing and people running round shouting until well past 1am. I felt really bad for the Korean team trying to sleep next to me with their families and kind of embarrassed to be a foreign climber. (One persons 'having good time' is another's 'out of hand').

With everybody camping in one space Yeongso is not the best place to have a meet and greet. There are a lot better crags where damage limitation can be kept to a minimum and we're not in danger of sacrificing the great hospitality we receive.

We've been through this before... http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...3620#post13620

KOTR is getting pretty big now too, (we had well over 50 of you cats split across three crags in Daegu last November). Thats way too many for one crag.

How about splitting into regional meet and greets, South Eastern (Daegu, Ulsan, Pohang, Gimhae, Jinju etc...), Western (Daejon, Mokpo, Jeonju, Gwanju, Gunsan), Northern and Seoul (Inchon, Seoul, Gangnun, Sokcho etc...)?

I love climbing with all of you dirtbags dearly but not all at the same crag at the same time!

(On a side note. There are enough climbers that if you post your heading down to Yeongso a fair few people will turn up anyway....)

just some thoughts

jah bless.

w.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
peace

Agreed Will . . . Yongseo really doesn't cater to large groups well-- you have to go through (and the parking is on) private property. It gets trashed easily and so far (at least as of just before I left) foreign climbers enjoyed a better reputation in the opinion of the owners (essentially, we patronize the business more). That said, Yongseo is always a good time.

If the Spring M&G is at Sununsan (traditional) or Maisan (possible if we can reserve the desired weekend with the park) it should be easy for the Gunsan guys (and girls?!) to attend, as both are in the province. There are lots of accomodation options and varied climbing (though Maisan separates the easy from the hard). If you're living at Gunsan and haven't made it to these beautiful places, then you should anyway!

Peace and such~

Sonia
Unread 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Jiri Jammer

Yp

Yeah--I also agree that YP is an excellent climbing destination, but perhaps not the best place for a large group.

Will: About splitting up the meet & greet regionally, it sounds like a good idea to help disperse people. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but I do enjoy meeting people from other provinces. It only takes a couple trips out to Yeongseo Pokpo to meet everyone in the Jeolla province.

If we are to pick one spot, I really enjoyed last two meet and greets-one at Seonunsan and the other at Ganhyeon. Either place works for me, but Seonunsan is much more centrally located for many southerners trying to make it out. Ganhyeon is great but it takes me a full day of traveling just to get there.

Whatever is decided, I'm excited to make it out and enjoy others company for whenever it occurs!
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
verticalcult

Yeah all said and well said. Sean mate, we haven't met one of the "obnoxious" type military people you mentioned - ever! That's been a blessing of KOTR, really reshaped my opinions (for the much much better) about military folks. Teachers are often way more obnoxious IMHE.

We'll get a vote thing up soon about dates and places for the meet and greet. I love meeting heaps of new people too, and I'm split on the issue. We do need to be aware that when we rock up with 50+ folk to a crag we kinda tend to crowd others out a bit (and the same happens to us/ others when large climb schools have a trip too, I know - really I do but....).
Regional M&Gs could work, or rolling M&Gs (like someone Aunty Will said, three diffrerent regions on three seperate weekends - can still attract 20-40 people eaach no trouble at all!).
Datewise late April-early May is oft the best, settled weather...I've had too many freezing/ raining "Spring M&G's" to want it any earlier. Good weather makes things so much more festive, but watch out Seonunsan for the Cherry Blossom Festivals and so on - there may be so many people we can't get a camp site at all! At least by then MT's are usually finished so camping, and min-baks are available.

OK good to see the thought is on people's minds and that some planning will soon happen. Hope you all have a groovy Spring climbing season.
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:57 AM
<--Sean

lucky for the foreigners, those of us in the military that do actually venture out tend to hand select those we bring with us...

Choosing a couple of different locations would be fine, but I think it should be limited to 2, the point of a meet and greet is a lot of people attending, and I'm not sure what others opinions are, but korea is small, I mean I can make it anywhere in 5ish hours.

I've been at yeongso with 30 peeps there and comfort/noise wasn't an issue. I think we are sometimes too self conscious about noise and drinking and forget that koreans kinda expect it as the normal, twice climbing I was kept up by rowdy koreans (one of which pissed on my tent cause he was so drunk in the middle of the night), I'm certainly not condoning the behavior, just stating that the happenings of a large group are much more accepted by koreans than we as foreigners understand sometimes.

Seonunsan is a great location also, no issues there, just farther for the pusan folks, south wise yeongso is most centrally located.

Maisan is cool, exept the camping at the crag is so limited, and I for one LOVE to camp right at the crag.

It is a week into march already, so a poll should be started soon, and plans. I need new friends for the summer, and want to start having fun
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
hmmm

I understand it would be far for the Seoul folks, and not sure about the camping situation, but Munsu, is a great crag with enough routes to keep everyone interested. Also, how about Seoraksan (will there still be snow in may, and/or will it be too cold?) Many of us Busaners had planned on going there during the 3 day break in May. just some thoughts.
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Seorak Sender

meet and greet for sure

I would definately be down for the meet and greet, I'm new here and itchin' to get out. me and one of my friends have been eyein' yeongso pokpo from the description and pics on the site. I can't make it the weekend of april 3rd and april 10th, but other then that i'm free. I work during the week, but maybe I could come out friday after work and I could stay until monday morning.
Can't wait to meet some new people and get down to some sending and camping!
e-mail address is [email protected] for any of you weekend warriors needing a climbing partner in the south!

Chris
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
peace

After (or before the Meet and Greet) . . . Busan and Ulsan guys should post some trips down there. . . I'm sure all the people you meet and greet could be persuaded. Camping is a bit limited and scattered at Munsu, but they do have free delicious water. Mucheksan by Gimhae is also nice, and I'd be down for a multiple-crag Busan weekend. . . or something at Sinban-am Plenty of climbing and camping with routes for all.