Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Initiatives > Current Initiatives

Unread 03-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

What Is An Initiative?

Hello All,

We're starting a new side to KOTR...Initiatives. These are projects that KOTR will due to support our local climbing community. There are a variety of ideas ongoing within the community, so we're starting one place to join them all.

These new forums will be a place to hash out new ideas and decide on their feasibility, cost and effectiveness. Ideas range from climbing clinics, rebolting crags, cleanup days, crag maintenance, etc. As well as supporting projects that have already been started around Korea.

The initial plan is to start a council of 10-12 people from around Korea. Council members will represent their local region, as well as a few Korean members to help represent the needs and viewpoints of our local community. The first few initiatives will be decided non-democratically by the council, to ensure projects are selected which will be completed according to existing Korean governing bodies as well as KOTR's new "Initiative Principles." This is all very new and we all know that with 300 different view points, things can get sticky. So initially, please understand that your viewpoints and suggestions are desperately needed and wanted, but may not always be "voted" on as with a M&G. Things will evolve and change as they all do.

THIS IS NOT A SOAPBOX IN WHICH TO ENFORCE OUR OWN ETHICS OR PUT DOWN THOSE OF OUR HOST NATION.

KOTR has always been a wonderful community for local climbers, but as we have grown larger, we need to recognize that we have a responsibility to give back and integrate a bit more with Korea and it's incredible family of climbers.

Our current goal is to accomplish one initiative this spring. Learn from it and complete more as we gain experience. More details will be coming in the next few days regarding...
"How to submit an initiative request."
"How to ask for KOTR's support on existing requests."
"How to help or become apart of an initiative?"
"How to become apart of the council?"

More to come soon. Please let us know your thoughts.
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
verticalcult

I wholeheartedly support the spirit behind this drive of "initiatives" and hope everyone else will too. A bazillion thanks and cudos out to Bryan and Eric for getting this set up and started.
Integrating more and more into the Korean fabric may/ may not be a high priority for each of us as individuals, but for KOTR as a whole and as an entity, I feel it is a crucial move we should all try and facilitate as best we can. Think of it as a macrocosm of a foreigner in Korea. Initially no-one expects that you know any Korean, but after you've been about a few years, people DO expect you to be more aware of the local sensibilities and also to be able to speak some language. We have the same expectations on foreigners in OUR countries, right? Well KOTR has also been about a good few years too and it's time we "leveled up" as an organization...or we risk being seen as an isolationist/ anti-Korean/ irrelevant bunch of "blow-ins".
I'll add that this will be a bit trial and error at first, and that we aren't trying to pimp ourselves as experts in fields we are unqualified to teach, but we should be looking for ways to be part of a broader community and to be good ambassadors for foreigners in general. Some of these initiatives will involve donations of time, money or both...keep a sense of this and what other investments a given initiative may requite of us/ others.
Fingers crossed it all goes well!
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Awesome!, I've been fumbling around with some ideas regarding the ethic of service for a long time. I'm really happy to see some organized momentum behind this cause. I look forward to giving my support and action!
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

Hey gt19905...not sure we've met. But, I read on your profile, you like writing...I'm a terrible writer and we could definitly use some help putting together some of our founding principles, mission statement, etc. If your interested in helping, PM me and we can chat about a few of the details of what we need.

Thanks again for your reply! Talk soon.
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
peace

Love It!!

We've done a few, but talked about many projects in the past. . . and I think many people here are considerate, generaous and want to give back to their hosts and to the community in general. . . it's certainly something I'd like to participate in. . . particularly interested in things that help bridge the Korean and foreign climbing communities . . . and any anchor replacing or build a better bathroom initiatives !!

So nice that as wonderful as the community is (now over quite the long term). . . there are still new things to explore!