Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 07-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Seorak Sender

winter hiking and backpacking

How is Korea in hiking and backpacking in january?

Thank You!
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
peace

a lot of shelters/minbaks close for the season, so you'd do well to research/reserve, but many places do stay open and winter can be beautiful!
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Former Action Guy

Pukhansan NP is open. Soeraksan NP is not. Many smaller mountains are open with plenty of day hiker traffic. You won't enjoy the kind of wilderness adventure you get in the remote americas, but Kangwon Province isnt too bad. There's more conifers and remote valleys there. It can be brutally cold here in January, down to -25c in the mountains.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Seorak Sender

Mosahlah, it is that that i'm looking for!
I wanted a trip that wound walk around the country, just hiking, camping, etc...
Have you got any more tips that i could have? Like websites (english), or own experience?

Thank You!
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:33 AM
peace

Some of Seoraksan is closed, but their is plenty of ice climbing in the park, and the trails to Tuwangsan are open. I did the traverse from Juwangsan to Dutasan (Mureung Valley) in winter and it was magical. . . got an early start to summit for sunrise. Also did Hallasan in winter (you have to get an early start as-- at least 10 years ago-- there was a cut off time and only certain trails were open. Coming down I glissaded much of the way.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Former Action Guy

Sounds like Sonia has good ideas for scenic routes. I'm curious what exactly is your objective? Simply Korea on the rocks?
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
verticalcult

Jirisan National Park is also open all winter (barring a massive blizzard) and if you set out early each day you can have a magical time walking alone in the snowed under trails and meeting people only every now and then near the shelters or trail forks. It can get brutally cold here too, we recorded down to -25C without adding the windchill, but it was beautiful and warmer than that most times. Also it is part of the massive Baekdu Daegan Ridgeline that stretches from (North Korea) Baekdu San to Jiri San...the new guidebook by Roger Sheppard and Andrew Douch is excellent! Out by Seoul Selection Books or via Professor David Masons website (www.sanshin.org?)...a total bargain at 28,000won.
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Seorak Sender

I liked the book idea, a few day traveling on Baekdudaegan trails, jumping from place to place is what i'm looking for hiking, i just hope it's gonna be open in winter, and since i'll probably be traveling alone...
What kind of gear you think i'll be needing?
Camping? Food? Sleeping Bags? etc...
sorry, i have no experience harsh winters, here where I live is kind of too hot though the whole year xD

Tanks!
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM
verticalcult

Good down jacket and warm (ski) gloves and walking crampons (can be bought here for less than $20/ 20,000won) are essential. The huts you can stay in in Jirisan need bookings but that is easy to do online when you are here, and they cost very little, are heated. Camping in the Nat Parks is not allowed, as the ecology is a bit fragile, but onvce out of the Nat Parks, you could camp/ bivvy almost anywhere. The book has suggested itineraries and camp locations etc as well as info on equipment and so on. You'd be unlikely to meet many people out of the main park areas, but also never too far away if something went really wrong.
Unread 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Jiri Jammer

hey! Winter is about here and I am keen to do some hiking! If anyone wants to get involved on a weekend then please get in touch!

Also, at the minute it looks like I just MAY be in Korea for my week off at Christmas so may be looking to do a slightly longer hike over a couple of days.....