Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Ground hugger

King of the Mountain - A race for charity

King of the Mountain

산의 왕

PLEASE GO TO THE WEBSITE TO REGISTER.
www.kingofthemountain.110mb.com

It's on again!

The second "annual" King of the Mountain race.

Do you think you can race over a mountain?

The challenge is on. To run from one side of Wolchulsan to the other and claim the title of "King of the Mountain!"

The race will take you from near sea level, almost vertically up to 809 meters above sea level, then across a ridge to the second peak of 743m and down the other side, finishing about 8.6 kilometers later, in the beautiful temple surroundings of Dogapsa.

There will be an entrance fee of W5000 (optional to pre-paid on regristration or on the day). This year the profits will go to a group trying to raise awareness and empower the youth of Korea to care for their environment. The non-profit orginisation is called Environmental Awareness Education Program.

To read more about the founders of this organisation and the work it is doing, please visit this link to an article in the Gwangju Blog or this link to Maria Lisak's blog for useful information about the program.

Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places, and a certificate for all who enter. Although sponsorship is not mandatory, a prize will also be given for the person who raises the most money for the EAEP.

Even if you don't think you're up for the challenge of racing over a mountain, please join in and do a "fun run / walk" with your friends. Perhaps you'd like to join in the theme of caring for the environment and bring along a trash bag to collect some garbage in the park and make it a little more clean & "green".

26th June 2010 (Weather permitting)

Check-in will be from 9am.

The race will start at 10am.

Wolchulsan is in Jeollanamdo province close to the small town of Yeongam. It is about 1 hour from Gwangju and 45 minutes from Mokpo (both on the KTX line).

I hope to see some of the great folks from our climbing community come along and have some fun supporting this great cause.
Stuart Aird

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:24 AM
velocity girl

aargh! so it IS happening again this year! but four days after i leave the country...

with bogue gone, i was getting ready to battle luke for the title...i wish i could go...it was super last year!

well, you guys have fun and run hard! runners, please let kotr members know if you're running so we can pledge you! is anyone running that i know of?..

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
verticalcult

Kyung Ah and I will be there "running" , and I'm sure we will have a big crew again. It's a great way to raise money, a beaut mountain and a lot of fun! Thanks sooooooo much Stuart!
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
peace

Too close to my departure on the 29th . . . but I'll sponsor Jake! and double it if he wears a tutu or dresses as an ajumma.
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Jiri Jammer

I'm going to attempt to run it! Am super psyched about it!!
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Ground hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Too close to my departure on the 29th . . . but I'll sponsor Jake! and double it if he wears a tutu or dresses as an ajumma.

Haha... I'll sponsor Jake if he wears a tutu as well!

Unread 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Halla Hanger

I'll have the ajummas represented.
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Ground hugger

G'day,

Just want to give this a bump. If you've got nothing doing this weekend, perhaps you'd consider coming down south and going for a nice walk across one of Korea's most scenic mountains, Wolchulsan... and while you're there, why not throw W5000 to a great cause.

I think I can safely say everyone on this site loves the outdoors and spending time in the amazing Nature Korea has to offer. Why not try to help future generations of Koreans learn about the importance of caring for their surroundings by supporting EAEP.

I hope to see you all there.

Stu.

Unread 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
verticalcult

I'm stoked as Stu bru! The tutu may or may not happen, but we have a crew of 5 in my car heading down Fri night and dare say a few more as well. Yeah, like Stu says, bring LOTS of water...the route is in the sun most of the way and steep and hot....but so beautiful! The awesome Yongam Indoor Rock climbing centre is a 5 min hop away too for Sunday.
Oh Holy shmoley! Saturday night, 11pm, Korea are playing in the next World Cup game...is there anywhere nearby teh camp-grounds that might have a screen/ TV place where we could watch, cheer and "celebrate"?
Everyone, COME ON OUT!
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Ground hugger

Race Postponed

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for the very late notice, but the forecast tomorrow is looking like "buckets of rain" and due to safety, I've decided to postpone the race.

With the monsoon season starting now, and the vacation period very soon, I've decided to put it back till we're all back and a bit settled again, so the new tentative date is 28th August.

I'm very sorry for all who've already registered and were keen to go this weekend.

If you have any questions, please contact me via this forum, facebook, email or on my phone.

Stuart Aird.

walkabout.wombat@gmail.com
010 5542 0675