Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Seorak Sender

Biking to Busan

I'm planning on doing a trip to Busan ..so far alone.
I'd like to take a few weeks, take my time to get around, and then catch a boat over to Japan. Any tips or advice ? I'm an avid around-town biker from Vancouver, Canada, but have never done anything of this magnitude on a bike.

So far, I've got a sleeping bag, some food stuff organised, a flint i suck at using, so also some matches, spare tubes for my bike, and a few tools...

Planning on getting a hydration pack
a compass
a better bike pump
possibly a tent (do you think this is needed?)
a small pot for cooking + portion of a sponge

any suggestions ? I want to travel as light as possible since I'm also packing cameras and camera equipment
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Jiri Jammer

ArianaRock - I unfortunately do not have weeks off to ride so cannot join you on your trip! When are you planning to go?

I probably won't be of much help as I haven't done any bike touring over a few weeks (i've only ever done weekend or 3-4 day trips).

You would be able to manage without a tent as there are jimjilbangs/minbaks all over the country. A little less weight to carry. You're also likely to find places to cook/eat there too (provided you are happy with eating Korean food). I've think campsites can be difficult to find, but then again, I haven't looked too hard.

If you are riding in the summer, water will be IMPORTANT. You'll be sweating it out so rapidly you'll have to keep topping it up!

A good map to go with your compass might be an idea. Try and laminate it or get a waterproof one so you're not stuck if it pours.

I'll have think of other things and let you know. Sorry if i'm not much help!
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Jiri Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaRock
I'm planning on doing a trip to Busan ..so far alone.
I'd like to take a few weeks, take my time to get around, and then catch a boat over to Japan. Any tips or advice ? I'm an avid around-town biker from Vancouver, Canada, but have never done anything of this magnitude on a bike.

So far, I've got a sleeping bag, some food stuff organised, a flint i suck at using, so also some matches, spare tubes for my bike, and a few tools...

Planning on getting a hydration pack
a compass
a better bike pump
possibly a tent (do you think this is needed?)
a small pot for cooking + portion of a sponge

any suggestions ? I want to travel as light as possible since I'm also packing cameras and camera equipment

Gotta get yourself one of these

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html

I got two of the explorer ultralite a-sym models

Packs up to about the size of an american college regulation size football

Their ultra lite version weighs under two pounds (800 grams)

Makes one helluva a light weight portable shelter.
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Jiri Jammer

Well, already this weekend has come A few people showed interest but maybe just found it difficult to commit with differences in location etc. It's difficult to get group rides together!!

I am now heading to Mokpo in 3 weeks for King of the Mountain so have decided to do go somewhere different. I will ride down to Daejeon on Sunday and then NE to Chungju on Monday. Will get a bus back to Seoul from there.

If anyone does fancy joining me for a bit of the way, please send me a message and i'll send you my phone number. It would be much more fun to ride with other people!
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Seorak Sender

i'm planning on leaving tomorrow; i'm getting a hydration pack from a friend who's letting me borrow it ( i couldn't find any to buy anywhere), and i also got lent this awesome poncho (black yak), that also turns into a tarp. stoked. the hammock looks so awesome!! i wish i had time to get my hands on one, but i'm keen to get biking before the heat gets too crazy. First I'm heading to Anseong, then down towards Daegu to visit a friend, but may just bike around for a bit first. Hopefully camping with only a sleeping bag and the black yak isnt a terrible idea .. i'm a little worried the mosquitoes will get me, but i haven't found adequate mosquito nets.
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
verticalcult

Helen is a speed demon! She got from Suwon to Daejeon faster than most jet fighters and only lost 3 Kgs! Awesome ride Helen (sorry about the detour loop inside the city...ooops!) So cool to see you again, as always. Very hardcore inspirational bana-ing by the Super-H!
Unread 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Jiri Jammer

Cheers Jake! What an awesome ride it was indeed I bought some padded shorts when I got back to Seoul - what a difference!!! ha ha! Getting into Daejeon was epic but I got there in the end! Thanks for having me!!!

I'll be doing more longer rides on the weekend if anyone wants to join in next time.