Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Jiri Jammer

Seoul - Busan on two wheels, early summer 2010

Hello!

So, spring has arrived and it is DEFINITELY time to get outside About time too!

There are a few of us planning to cycle down to Busan from Seoul. We will be aiming to do it over a three day 'weekend' before it gets too hot in the summer.

Only vague plans set but will keep updates on dates, plans etc on here.

If you are interested in joining us, just drop me a message and I will keep you a little more informed in case I forget to do so here

We try to get together every Saturday morning for a group ride in Seoul as well - will put more info on that in a separate post. We will be doing longer rides outside of Seoul too to get prepared for the roads!

I'm pretty psyched!!

Helen
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Jiri Jammer

To anyone who has ever thought about buying a bike while you are in Korea, DO IT! I absolutely love mine!!!

Helen took me to a great shop in Seoul where the prices seemed reasonable, the owner/manager is extremely friendly, AND it is within walking distance of a bike path by the river!! You can buy it, and then go for a great ride
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Tim

Are you guys going round trip or just one way? Either way, I am down in Geoje. I can get my bike to busan by ferry. Wouldn't mind riding back up with you and catching a lift back down via public transit or taking a bus or something up and riding down. I just am not sure how I would get my bike to seoul. Any advice? or are there any bikers interested in a Busan to Seoul treck sometime soon?
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Jiri Jammer

Heeeeyyy!! We don't have all of the details set yet, but hopefully something is still in the works !! Let me know if you are ever up in Seoul... There is definitely a fun crew to go out with!!
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Jiri Jammer

Hiya!

Looking at dates, the only 3 day weekends that I have available are:

21 - 23 May (Buddha's birthday wkd)

5 - 7 June.

At the moment, i'll be aiming for the 5 - 7 June as I think there might already be plans underway for the earlier weekend.

Any thoughts?

With regards to the route, i'll just be going one way. Was thinking of leaving Seoul first thing Friday morning, arriving in Busan Sunday afternoonish then having a wander around (i've never been to Busan so would like to see a little of it!).

Or, could do Seoul - Geoje?! What's it like there?

To be honest, I could go either way.... will have a longer think!!

You can put your bike on the bus - i've always just tied mine up to the posts etc in the boot of the bus and it's been ok.

By the way, the TDK starts on 23rd April and ends 2nd May

Woot!
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Tim

@Pattyannblake Thanks for the invite. Same goes for Geoje. There are some great folks down here and also supposedly some great climbs though I have only recently arrived. Hope to meet you soon.

@ HelenK Geoje is a mellow neighborhood/island with a lot of mellow hikes around. I haven't done to much exploring which means also I have not been to Busan. So, Busan would certainly be a cool destination, though as they say sometimes about things "the journey is the destination" and I think this is most true for bicycle touring. There are pretty sweet beaches here or so I hear. Still, wherever you want to go as long is its a good long ride, I am down.

Whats a TDK? I tried to think of what that could stand for and am lost.
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Jiri Jammer

Tim-oooo....I would love to check out Geoje sometime!!!

Miss Helen...I think the June weekend sounds great!!!! AHHH the weather is getting amaaaazing!!!
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Jiri Jammer

Hey guys,

This sounds interesting. I'd love to join in! I'd have to procure/hopefully borrow a bike and I'd probably find a humble beater. Will you guys be rocking slick road rigs? I'm getting soft on the ROK so it'd be nice to spin out a few hundred kms, in prep for some tours in the future. It'd be a haul though, when I do the trip on the olde autobike, Changwon to Seoul on non expressway roads was about 500km. I assume its about 5-600km Seoul to Busan which is pretty intense for 2 days.
Unread 03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Jiri Jammer

I'll put a proposed route up here ASAP, but we'll be aiming to do it in 3 days (5,6 & 7th June) cycling an average of about 160km a day, which I think it pretty doable.

Patty and I have road bikes and no touring gear at all. I will personally be putting stuff on by back! Neither of us are big on touring in terms of having done it before (Patty, correct me if i'm wrong!). I just like riding!

Hmmm, beaches etc... LOVELY!!

The TDK is Tour de Korea. It is starting in the south and making its way north from west to east then back across again. It should be entertaining!
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Jiri Jammer

Haha... I'm 100% with Helen. I don't have any flashy gear, well... except for my lights (hahahaha... sorry. bad joke)!! I'll carry everything I need on my back...

I haven't done any touring. Actually, I've just recently began cycling, but I LOVE love love riding as well

Ah.. I'm excited!!!