Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
verticalcult

Exclamation The Greatest Korean Trekking Route

Esteemed fellow climbers and hikers all, lend me your eyes, for I have cut and pasted a very interesting message from the lean mean green snow leopard himeslf, "Hypoxic" (aka Shawn of KML - visit the web-page, it's a great site and group! Bottom any KOTR page link.).
A cou[ple of intrepid Kiwis have done the deed and hiked from Jirisan to Seoraksan whilst mapping, researching and being environmentally groovy blokes. Check this out!
Not sure if I told you about the Baekdu Daegan Expedition Project for which I'm the assistant researcher. In brief, two kiwi guys started trekking from Jirisan on September 2nd and followed the Baekdu Daegan up to its northern border in Seoraksan, and just finished today. About 70 days in all. The four of us (the two trekkers/field researchers, a Kyunghee University professor/chief researcher, and me/assistant researcher) are gather all data regarding environment, culture, and trails for two publications: a trekking guide a la Lonely Planet, and a coffee table style book. As far as our research shows, this is the first time non-Koreans have ever trekked the entire length of the ridge and the first indepth research ever done on the subject for availability in English. You can check out the blog for more: www.baekdudaegan.blogspot.com.
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Point Dume

Dude, Jake,
I almost wish I hadn't seen this.
Having done parts of the southern segments of the Pacific Coast Trail, and having always dreamed vaguely of "walking" Korea point to point, now there is the possibility of doing something which takes away from my climbing time! It's like having to choose between two beautiful women, or great wines, or between creme brulee and tiramisu . . . you get the picture.
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM
verticalcult

Dude! I mean형(님/neeeeeeemmmmm) I am fully au fait with what you are saying, man it's tough having choices, yeah? But this trek, you know, it doesn't need a full 70 days obviously, but man, what a sweet concept. A trekkers "magic line" (sorry Messner, no copyright on that word). A backpck, camp stove, ram,yeon, kim chi and trusty crusty hiking boots, swag and coffee etc...sweeeeeeeet! Ahhh Brandon's avatar says it all. So many mountains, only one life! Well that's the cruel irony of a love affair. Maybe we can sate oursselves with a winter hike in Jirisan, or Seoraksan...just for now, mind.
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Seorak Sender

Amazing!!

This sounds phenomenal!!! Arrrggghh....I wish I had time left in Korea to get involved in something like this. Great project. I can't wait to see the results of everyone's hard work. Did they hike continuously over the 70 days? Who's sponsoring this work?

If they need quality photos for the coffee table book idea, let me know. I'd love to contribute.
-Alex

isipau@hotmail.com
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by isipau
This sounds phenomenal!!! Arrrggghh....I wish I had time left in Korea to get involved in something like this. Great project. I can't wait to see the results of everyone's hard work. Did they hike continuously over the 70 days? Who's sponsoring this work?

If they need quality photos for the coffee table book idea, let me know. I'd love to contribute.
-Alex

isipau@hotmail.com

I just noticed this, and sorry that it's months late. Yes, Roger and Andrew trekked continously for the 70 days. We did have government sponsoring but that fell through due to political horsecrap.

Thanks for the offer for photos. I think we're good in that department, but I'll keep your generosity in mind.

We hope to have the books published next year.
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Snow Leopard

An update: it looks like we've struck the initial stages of a publication deal. I was hoping to go with The Mountaineers Book based out of Seattle but they were taking rather long to respond (actually, the typically 3 to 6 months that most publishers take to respond, but the others on the team wanted something sooner). So, it looks like our plans to have the books ready by next year is still afloat.

Keep you all posted.
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:32 AM
mekju jon

how is that guide book coming along? a long walk could be the last thing i do in korea before heading home. would be a great way to finish up the year.
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Snow Leopard

Things are moving along nicely. All members of the research team (Roger Shepherd, Andrew Douch, Professor David Mason, and myself) have set a Christmas Eve deadline on all initial writing (including captions, footnotes, etc.). With any luck we'll have the two books out by next summer, which would be perfect as they would arrive before the September trekking season.
Unread 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Radio

Andrew is currently hiking the Nakdong-Jeongmaek. It's one of the lesser ridges that runs from Taebaeksan, on the Baekdudaegan, to Busan. You can follow his progress here: http://www.nakdong.blogspot.com/

I've done a few sections with him. It's nothing like as spectacular as the Baekdudaegan, but if you want to get away from the masses in the national parks, you can't beat it. We walked about 28km last Saturday without seeing a soul.
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Radio

Roger has just started a 2000km odyssey taking in all of the Jeongmaeks. Follow him here: www.hikekorea.net