Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
peace

Dee, that sounds a lot like my route in 2001! I hadn't planned on Italy, but it kept raining in France, and Italy was right there (but dry!!). So many crags, so little time. . . I also went to Meterora, but would not recommend it for climbing because of lose conglomerate rock. I think there's good stuff on the islands-- Kalymnos? (sp?). . . I may be in Europe in 2007 (using my new EU passport) depending on work/politics. I will be looking for work in Austria. . . which, along with Slovenia, you leave out?

Man, I have really been wanting to check out the climbing in China and it does seem nice. Maybe home a few weeks, summer camp? then China if there is 2 weeks between? The websites Rick listed make the travel seem much more straightforward than the slideshows and articles I've seen previously! And I'd love to go sooner than later as it seems the development has begun!

Last edited by skinsk : 04-27-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Unread 04-06-2006, 02:36 PM
climbergrrl

That's cool! Maybe I can get some route/crag/accommodation/etc. info. from you later! If my friend is still living in Austria, I may swing by when I go, but as you said, so many crags, so little time... If I don't have to teach at our university's English camp (assuming I am still employed by that time )...will definitely check it out!

Ciao,
Dee
Unread 04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
(.)

if you are in austria you should check out the zillertal. nice but sometimes hidden boulders. good sportclimbing, too. unfortunately summer in austria is always a little bit wet. we got washed out of the valley twice. but nevertheless, a couple of years ago this place was home to one of the most famous snowboard summercamps on the glacier in hintertux.
the locals have a club and website:
http://www.stonemonkeys.com/

the best city to live in austria is probably innsbruck, 90 minutes to munich and less than an hour to italy!
the next climbing area is the dschungelbuch, a big limestone cliff with everything from multipitch to hardcoresportclimbing up to 8c+...
alpine sportclimbing and trad on the south face of the schuesselkarspitze.
at the bottom of it is another limestone sportclimbing area called chinese wall. steep and less technical the the dschungelbuch, but no easy stuff. some warm ups in the french 6th grade, but most of it is 7a or harder. it is really nice there but be prepared to find some chipped holds :-(
Unread 04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
peace

Thanks for the info. . . Stefan previously from this site gave me some Austrian links. . . found some gyms/clubs for Vienna when I was there. . . Graz put holds along their riverwalk for a long traverse. Innsbruuck would be good, though I have no family there. I'll be at the mercy of the job gods in Austria, though. The bigger cities are more likely to hire non-German speakers.

Man, I keep hearing and reading about these trips (and now looking at my old slides on my computer) and I am so jonesin'! (Thanks Ricky!)
Unread 04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Ayeishi!

Ricardo, man! I have to apologize I only just checked out the China links. I am soooooooooooooo there. I have to get my dates checked, but I'm going and that's that. Even if I have to go alone...I don't care. It sounds like a totally amazing and totally doable trip. So ya. That's my plan for now.
Unread 04-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Aggressive Sheep

actually, my 'remote chance' of joining may become a little less remote...
when in august are you thinking?
Unread 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Ayeishi!

I'll get back to you on that.
Unread 07-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Seorak Sender

Hello everybody!

I sent my last message one year ago and today I am glad to meet the same climber with whom I had climbed (Rick Hedi) and those which had answered me (skinsk)!
I am back to find a partner to make climbing in Hong-Kong (August 25 thru 31 and September 1) http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...-partners.html.
I hope that you will be available!

JP

PS: if you have need of a partener, a guide, informations or other for your trip in france I can help you ( I am french )