Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 11-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Aggressive Sheep

calling all downhill riders

ok, the temps are dropping and this is the time of year that i really get anxious for the snows!! i hope you are too...
i live in gunsan (w. of jeonju and sw. of daejon) and will mostly head up to muju this winter, since that's the closest, but i would like to make a long trip up north to dragon valley and the alps in late december or january (or whenever the snowpack is good). ok, maybe more than one trip.
if you want to meet up or take a trip somewhere this winter post here or pm me.
if you have any tips for a korea newbie (must see / must avoid) please post here. i'd also like to know if anyone has done any backcountry riding or has any info on it. the only gear i'm missing for that is a transciever and i'll pick one up if it is worth it.

i found this website that has some good info on korean resorts. i have found others in the past (that are eluding me now) but this about covers it.
http://english.tour2korea.com/03Sigh....asp?kosm=m3_7

my riding profile: i like to ride any kind of terrain; i prefer black (steep, not moguls), blue's, and tree runs (which i hear aren't ridable here). i've been thinking of trying out the parks more often this year. i snowboard but don't care what you ride (my best partners in the states was a skier and a telemarker), as long as you're having fun. i'll probably go most often on the weekends, but if you can take a fri or mon off (that's not a korean holiday) to avoid the crowds, even better!

so lets pray for snow and meet up for a ride!!
-r
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
mourning for the calm

snow riding is fun

You know I'm down anytime, anywhere.... that Fuji thing sounds like something to plan for.

DeMo
Unread 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM
climbergrrl

Hey there!

Definitely interested in joining anytime! Haven't ever heard of anyone riding in the backcountry, same problem with the tree trails I think, not enough snow. I'm not great, but can carve okay, and will be spending lots of time in Kangwondo. Have you heard of Sungwoo Resort? I was thinking of going there. It's near Phoenix Park. Phoenix Park is pretty decent for Korea. Have not boarded anywhere else though, except a little resort up near Chuncheon, (not comparable to other places, from the sounds of it.) Even if I get a season's pass to Sungwoo, I'd be willing to join you at another area sometime, especially Alps or Yongpyung (?), 'cuz I hear it's pretty good there.

Ciao!
Heidi
Unread 11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Seorak Sender

hi guys

go north! there's little snowfall here (too bad, hills everywhere)which makes for a short and drab season. experienced riders will be disappointed with the offerings, but there are plenty of pickings for beginners and intermediates. weekends are totally crazy,...slopes turn into picnic grounds. best bang would be yongpyung. backcountry?? aint gonna happen bro,...maybe on a lunch tray!
i'll be around for the winter and would love to get out a few times but prob won't make a habit of it. i ski and board,...lemme know if there's something going on.
cheers,
t

,....toiletpaper
Unread 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Where's the snow?

Count me in

Thanks for hooking me up Rick. I definitely wanna check out Yongpyeon especially after what I heard about it here. I've been to Muju before. It kinda sucked, but anytime I got people to ride with it'll automatically be better, so keep me posted and I'll do the same.
Cheers
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Where's the snow?

Question Is this legit?

I heard some ski hills are NOW OPEN in Gangwon province. Is this true?
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
peace

snow report Korea

http://us.freeride.nu/weather/country.php?country=Korea
Unread 11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Aggressive Sheep

well, it's been cold, but i don't think they've had enough precip. i tried searching but came up with nothing...i'm sure that's in the korean pages though.

i'm thinking of taking a trip up to the northwest resorts around the weekend of Jan. 15th. i hope to find inexpensive lodging (probably away from the slopes) and make meals...maybe even snow camp if anyone's up for it.
are the teachers going to be off at that time? anyone interested?

-rick
Unread 11-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Aggressive Sheep

OH, I stand corrected...I just got this news article
silly me, koreans don't need precip for snow!

S Korea's ski season kicks off in Gangwon Province
CHUNCHEON, South Korea, Nov. 16 (Yonhap) -- With temperatures falling below zero in recent days, ski resorts in Gangwon Province east of Seoul are revving up to begin operations earlier than scheduled.
Yongpyong Resort in the provincial town of Pyeongchang opened one of its 31 slopes Wednesday after the recent cold weather helped its snow-making operations go smoothly, a resort spokesman said.
The resort will open the remaining slopes as soon as possible provided the below-zero temperatures continue to grip the region, the spokesman said.
Phoenix Park in the same town also began operating one of its 17 slopes Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule, the resort said. One hundred snowplows have been in full operation in recent days to make snow slopes, it said.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary, the resort will provide free use of lifts Wednesday and Thursday.
Workers at the Hyundai Sungwoo Resort in the province's Hoengseong were busy putting the final touches on the resort's slopes Wednesday, with this year's season opening only a day away.
Work was smoothly under way in the Vivaldi Park ski resort in Hongcheon to ready two slopes for Friday ahead of the full ski season.
Gangchon Resort in Chuncheon also expedited its opening date by two weeks to Saturday, beginning with two slopes.
Alps Resort in Goseong near the inter-Korean border was gearing up to open on Friday next week, hiring part-time workers and making snow. (sshim at yna.co.kr)
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:52 PM
verticalcult

Muju in Ice-boots

Just a note from the home of dodgey experiments, spent a few days recently skiing it up at Muju and have to say the conditions are pretty icey with mostly man-made snow covering (nicely) the trails, but that said it's plenty good enough for a fun day out. Take your own packed lunch as food there is rather pricey. Oh yeah, the lockers there are 1000 won non-refundable numbers, so a few 500 won coins is a bonus to carry also.
Being a stingy bugger I decided to forgo the hiring of ski boots myself (used my own skis, but boots are "Down Under") and strapped on the Koflach Arctis Exped ice-climbing/ moountaineering boots. Results were surprisingly good for such short, flexible boots. Though it's not recommended for dropping down the black runs...it is definitely possible. If nothing else it's good practice for skiing under less than perfect conditions. And should you be thinking of doing some ski-mountaineering somewhere on the globes wonderous ranges, forget carrying seperate ski and climbing boots.
Koflach actually make an "insert" to help with stiffening up the boots for this, but a pair of (soccer style) shin guards worn under the boots might achieve the same result. Trying this out next week...keep you all posted.