Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Tim

Realistically, 160 kms per day is kind of big for a first time out. But, if we just pack light and ride hard we should make it no problem.

Also, I would seriously recommend a rack, even the cheapest one you can find and then just strapping what you can to it. Riding with weight on your back is not a nice way to go. It hurts and is dangerous because you are top heavy (especially scary on the down hill and hard on the up). The posture you are going to be sitting in for 8+ hours a day does not really go well with added weight. It is a non-issue though if we don't camp and don't have to bring tents and such.

How is the terrain from north to south as far as the hills go? I haven't hit any mountainous down hills in a while and am starting to get pretty excited about the possibilities that Korean slopes have to offer.

Super stoked!
Unread 03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Jiri Jammer

OK, so, here are two maps. The first is Seoul - Busan.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/south-...26957823352582

Looking at it on a map - it's longer than I expected (we would have to do about 180km a day) which I don't think will happen.

I propose doing this route (or something similar)

Seoul - Mokpo:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/south-...26957884227853

Average of 140km a day, very scenic and transport back shouldn't be a problem either.

Any thoughts?

In terms of terrain, north to south on the west coast is fairly flat. North to south on the east coast - VERY, very hilly!!

We won't be camping but staying in minbak style accommodation along the way. Finding bike gear out here i have found a chore and whenever I do see stuff it's generally very expensive. So, i'll be sticking to a backpack! I won't have much with me at all.

Let me know your thoughts! It'll be fun!
Unread 03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Jiri Jammer

I'm sure there are shorter routes to Busan, but that mokpo route looks pretty nice. Don't know the stories on those roads as I have yet to hit them up but I have found that single dighit (The 1) are often flatter and sometimes divided lane. Double Dight are usually hillier, curvier and are rarely divided. The (Blue) are usually wider and the yellows can sometimes get pretty narrow but often go over some cool terrain. Looks like a sweet ride, I will try to get Monday off, but chances are I'll be SOL in that department. Even if its only 2 days though, I'll try to join in, it seems like a good endeavor.
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Jiri Jammer

I know that I won't have much with me either, but does a rack really make that much of a difference??? Maybe we can scour some used bike shops...??

I think the Mokpo route is great (but.. that is me being selfish because I haven't had too much practice on hills!! hehe)

Brad...def join even if it is only for two days. I'm a little worried about if I will have that Monday off too...
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Tim

Pattyann- If you have any amount of weight a rack is awesome. But if all we need is some bananas and some almonds cause we are going to eat and sleep in town, then there is really no problem with a small backpack. Just think about how much you want to bring and think about the distance you are going to be riding. If you think you can manage then no worries, if there is no intention to camp (which is an amazing plan) i might not bring a rack myself. We shall see.

Mokpo or whatever, I am stoked. Flat sounds fine, I just got destroyed trying to keep up with this guy around my island and had to walk my bicycle for the first time in a while up some monster hills. So, like i said, flat sounds fine.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Snow Leopard

I've been thinking about doing a ride from Seoul (Goyang, actually, where I live) down to Busan for about a year now. I'd love to join you guys, but I don't think I'll be able to get away that weekend. Also, I think I'd rather take my time and do such a trip over the course of a week or so and hit up some awesome sites along the way, and get some hikes in, too.

I was considering doing a trip from here to Daejeon first, just to test the waters. I'll be calling on you, Jake, if that happens!

160km a day would be a beast of a daily routine. I rode from my place to Yeoido and back last weekend. I had to go through farms, across muddy fields, and slightly submerged bridges to get to the far eastern end of Hangang Park. It was a helluva an adventure, great time. I rode about 65km total that day and I was beat by the end of it.

I'd be up for joining you guys for some rides around Seoul sometime, if you're in the easterly area.
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Jiri Jammer

Hi all,

apologies for the late reply.

I think the ride down the West coast to Mokpo would be lovely. I used to live in Gunsan and there are some great rides around the area and really beautiful scenery. I'm definitely leaning towards that one

Brad - you should definitely try make it down, even if its for 2 days

Hypoxic - I live in the easterly (ish) area and would be keen on doing some rides. I find it quite hard to find people to ride with! I stick mainly (if not always) to roads though as I don't think my bike would survive the cross country routes I need to get a MTB!

If anyone is in Seoul and fancies joining me on some early morning training rides on weekdays, get in touch.

Also, if you want to join me for slightly longer rides (80 - 100km) on Saturday mornings starting at about 7:30 - 8am and back by midday in time to enjoy the rest of the weekend, let me know!

Ah, it's so good to be back on my bicycle!!
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenk
Hypoxic - I live in the easterly (ish) area and would be keen on doing some rides. I find it quite hard to find people to ride with! I stick mainly (if not always) to roads though as I don't think my bike would survive the cross country routes I need to get a MTB!

Oops! I made a typo - I live in Goyang, so I meant the westerly side of Seoul. It's a bit of a jaunt to get to the easterly side from my place. It took me about an hour and a half to get to Yeoido. Of course, like I said before, it wasn't on a straight run on roads: it was up n' over hills, across farms, muddy fields, dodgey construction sites, etc.

Anyhow, it'd be nice if we could get a big ride on the go, maybe a ride to Suwon or something, stay in Suwon that night, and ride back up the next day.
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Seorak Sender

May be into joining this as well- sounds wicked!
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Jiri Jammer

Hypoxic - I'd be keen on coming up to Goyang for a ride - a change from the east would be nice!

EVERYONE - it is now 5 weeks away!!! With that in mind, it would great if we could get everyone together to meet each other, discuss thoughts and ideas, finalise a route etc. I do not know where everyone lives, however for those in Seoul, please let me know when are good times to meet up.

The second thing is a long ride as Hypoxic suggested. I can do an overnight stay on the 15 - 16th or 29 - 30th May. I was thinking of doing a ride to Chuncheon instead - it's more like the distance we will be covering for the ride. We could then ride around Chuncheon on the Sunday (there are some beautiful rides there) and get the bus back into Seoul.

Is anyone free on either dates to ride?