Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > Other Activities

Unread 10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
verticalcult

Ultra-light and Sports plane flying in Korea

Guys, it's possible. Just outta Daejeon (where Uncle Jake lives) is the newly formed group "Expat Flyers". Ever since my first day on Earth I've dreamed of being a pilot...like Biggles, soaring the heavens in my Sopwith Camel...ahhh great stuff, but back on track, NOW WE ALL CAN! Expat Flyers is a group of expat flyers (funny that) who are offering courses and flights in Korea. Check out their web-page or find them on facebook. Uncle Jake will be joining FOR SURE and getting his wings. Anyone else interested, maybe we can get a group together and maybe get a group booking/ discount. Who knows my jokes about a KOTR helicopter/ plane to avoid traffic jams etc going to our crags might just happen!
So happy, Jake.
www.expatflyers.net
Unread 10-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Point Dume

Damn, another item on my bucket list!
Actually, i've wanted to get a pilot license for a while . . . was rekindled when those ultralights flew over us during Ganhyeon camping last Spring!
prices seem quite cheap! another reason to visit Korea again soon.

btw, there is a skydiving school near LA where you can do a solo drop (no tandem) after one day's training: http://www.skydiveperris.com/school.html
Life is short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanja
Guys, it's possible. Just outta Daejeon (where Uncle Jake lives) is the newly formed group "Expat Flyers". Ever since my first day on Earth I've dreamed of being a pilot...like Biggles, soaring the heavens in my Sopwith Camel...ahhh great stuff, but back on track, NOW WE ALL CAN! Expat Flyers is a group of expat flyers (funny that) who are offering courses and flights in Korea. Check out their web-page or find them on facebook. Uncle Jake will be joining FOR SURE and getting his wings. Anyone else interested, maybe we can get a group together and maybe get a group booking/ discount. Who knows my jokes about a KOTR helicopter/ plane to avoid traffic jams etc going to our crags might just happen!
So happy, Jake.
www.expatflyers.net
Unread 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
mastering the pull-up

Jake, there are some Korean guys who have what they called 'ultralights' (hang gliders with basically a lawnmower motor on them) in our old town, Danyang. There's a dirt runway by the river in the town. You should see if those guys know about it. Danyang is about 2hrs driving from Daejeon, so I am assuming that's probably too far to fly, but even if so, let those guys know about it if they didn't already. I went up for about 30 minutes last spring and it was BEAUTIFUL! Danyang is a great place to do that. People also paraglide off the highest peak in town (you can drive to the top).

Oh, and don't talk to Kris about this b/c you could probably talk him into BUYING one, let alone taking a course and we already spend too much money on climbing gear alone.
Unread 10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
verticalcult

Kris can be my co-pilot anytime baby! Like the old Chinese saying goes, this will be like adding wings to a tiger! Sweet!
Maybe we'll split the cost of a 2-seater between us? I wonder if he likes red...yeah we is definitely gonna be in on this caper together. Don't worry about the cash, I think two gents such as ourselves can easily find a dodgy scheme to acquire the lucre. Oh BTW do you have any old jewellry you wanna get rid of? I'll ask KA also.
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Jiri Jammer

There is also a place to get your private pilots licence near Osan Airforce Base(Songtan). I havn't personally taken lessons there but people I work with have. If you want more info let me know and I'll ask around.
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Rock Lobster

Consider me there. It's about 3 and a half k for a weekend session. I'm preparing "Ride of the Valkyries" as we speak.
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Rock Lobster

and of course, what I meant by that was 350,000 won
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Jiri Jammer

could you get more information about the private pilots licensing? Ive got a canadian PPL and I dont want to go soft while Im here.

just a heads up: the aircraft that expat flyers uses; (zenair 601) has been grounded in the UK until further notice after a crash due to suspected aileron flutter.