Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-26-2020, 11:36 PM
sparky

This website and Korea climbing calendar on facebook is the best way to link up with other climbers. I am stationed stateside now, and will be PCSing back to Osan this summer. I will post here on KOTR when I get there with some climbing trips.
Unread 08-28-2020, 04:32 PM
peace

Base People!

OK, this is a little climbing, but also personal favors. I live in Jochiwon, about 40 minutes south of Humpheys/Osan by train. I have a car. I've lived in Korea over 16 years and during that time met many army/AF men and women and shared many adventures. You can see a lot by exploring this website.

Personal: I usually visit the USA every summer for 6-8 weeks and bring back essentials. I have been able to find a lot of stuff online, but I would really appreciate "base access" for vegan "cheese" and "meat". Also, I teach American Culture class at Hongik Sejong campus. This coming semester I have two sections (30 students). When I taught this pre-COVID, I did "a taste of America" every week. I made jambalaya and cornbread, mac and cheese, cherry pie . . . I bought tea light candles and we made s'mores on our desks. We did egg decorating and pumpkin carving. I am pretty sure my classes filled because of student forums saying "she feeds you!". As last semester was remote (like this semester will be), I contacted the embassy which sent me gorgeous guidebooks, pens, and flags. I also randomly went to Osan's entrance, and found 3 young and honest looking airmen/woman who went inside and did some shopping for me -- kraft microwave mac and cheese, little debbie snack cakes, pop tarts. . . . I was able to deliver "American Culture care packages" to the 50% of students who showed up for the last week of face-to-face, and mail out the rest. I would love to do this again this semester! I can meet you outside the base with US$ and a shopping list. Also, I can take you on weekend camping trips (Mon is also my day off) and climbing trips. 운일암반일암 (nice valley) and 학암포 (beach with bolted sea cliffs) are close. I have all the climbing gear and extra camping gear (a lot of it USAF issued!).

You can make a positive impression on kids (well, to me, kids, but 20-27 year olds!) who have an interest in American culture. This class is an elective open to all majors. You can help a fellow climber get vegan/vegetarian items. You can help yourself get out and explore Korea in a very safe socially distanced way. You can contact me at 010-4185-7625 (7625 spells out ROCK on old phones!).
Unread 09-15-2020, 02:03 AM
sparky

Skinsk,

I haven?t made it into the country yet, but hopefully someone can help out. This is something that sounds like military members would be able to help with. I know there have been other community out reach programs to help share our culture and to learn about the Korean Culture at the same time. This type of thing could probably be coordinated on base, where the Air Force members may be able to provide the requested items. I have heard of military members visiting schools and orphanages, all part of community service/outreach programs. I will be there by the end of this month and maybe we can help get you something in place.
Unread 09-23-2020, 09:34 PM
peace

Have you made it here yet?
Unread 09-23-2020, 11:30 PM
Seorak Sender

I live in Pyeongtaek and am keen to climb sport/trad up to ~5.10. Haven't climbed for a while due to grad school but am back in the saddle. I have many years of experience including guiding in the Pacific Northwest (US). Just arrived but I'll do whatever it takes to get outside and back on rope.
Unread 10-21-2020, 02:52 PM
Seorak Sender

sweetmason,

give me a shout if you're interested in climbing. I'm in Seongnam but always looking to climb.