Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
verticalcult

Exclamation December 9th Seoul, U.N. International Mountain Day Ceremony

OK folks here is the good oil (beta) on what we are all hoping will be the start of a ever bigger and better annual event. I didn't pen this piece, Hypoxic (Shawn) authored it, but take the time to read it and follow the links both to the U.N.'s site and also to KML's site. Like KOTR they are true mountain lovers, and we ought do more to work with them. OK enough preaching, all our best to you all.
The time is coming yet again - December 11, the United Nations International Mountain Day.
Established after the UN designated 2002 as the International Year of the Mountain, UNIMD is a day to mark the ecological, cultural, and emotional importance that mountains hold for us. Along with Earth Day (April 22), this is one of the most important days on the KML's calendar. (*Earth Day is also the anniversary of the founding of the KML).

This year's UNIMD theme is Facing Change: Climate Change in Mountain Areas.

This year, the KML will be hosting an event to honour UNIMD on Sunday, December 9, in the Gangbuk District of Seoul. In the south-eastern foot hills of Samgaksan (Bukhansan), the event will be attended by some of the most active and vibrant figures of Korea's mountain world. Speaking at the event will be:

- Cho - - : organizer for the Samgaksan Campaign
- David A. Mason: Cultural & Tourism professor, Kyunghee Univeristy; expert on Korea's mountain worship folk traditions
- Jake Preston: mountaineer; representative of Korea on the Rocks
- Rayn Roberts: poet; expert on the Buddhist traditions of Korea's mountains
- Roger Shepherd: trekker; cheif field researcher of the Baekdu Daegan Expedition Project
- Shawn James Morrissey: Korean Mountaineering League president

These speakers, in their personal expertise, will bring various different personalities and opinions to the event, but will all be speaking under a single ideal: we must protect our mountains. From ecology to culture to recreation and more, this event promises to be a time of fellowship and peace highlighted by knowledge and compassion for the prosperity of Korea's highlands.

There will also be a tour of nearby Buddhist temple, Doseonsa, a traditional shamanic mountain-spirit worship ceremony, and a traditional Korean dinner.

Everyone is invited, but space is limited. If you're interested in joining us for this event to mark the United Nations International Mountain Day, please contact us by e-mail. If you're unable to join us, we encourage you to mark the day in your own way: go for a hike or a climb, pick up some litter from a busy trail, raise a toast to the mountains, spread awareness. For more infomation visit UNIMD website here. The UNIMD Commitee has informed us that the site will be updated in the coming days.

Let's work together to keep days such as this in the public eye so the importance of conservation itself remains fresh in the collective mind of those who can make a difference.

You can point people to the KML site too if you like.
Talk soon.

- Shawn
Life is brought down to the basics: if you are warm, regular, healthy, not thirsty or hungry, then you are not on a mountain. . . . Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall - it's great when you stop.
- Chris Darwin
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
peace

Shawn, (Jake!) sounds great! I'd love to go and meet y'all (well, I meet Jake all the time. . . but the other folks)! One Caveat-- I've accepted a "Kimjang" invite from my Korean Teacher "sometime in Dec" at her mother-in-laws-- I think I'm just going for day but I've committed and I actually really want to go, so hopefully it won't be the 9th! Anyway, with that possible exception, count me in!
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Snow Leopard

Okay, Skinsk, we'll pen you in.

I should point out that Mr Cho, mentioned in the write up 'Cho --', the cheif advisor to Gangbuk District mayor Kim Hyung-poong. I've met with Mr Cho on many occasions and to my embarressment cannot recall his full name...
I'll rectify that mistake there ('Cho --') ASAP. Sorry about that.

Links to the UNIMD site are on the KML site (the link to which is on the bottom of all KOTR pages).
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Lindsey

Sign me up!

I'm planning on hitting up O2 World on Saturday the 8th, and this sounds like a great way to spend Sunday! How much does the event cost, or is it free of charge?

Lindsey Kiehn
Unread 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiehn
I'm planning on hitting up O2 World on Saturday the 8th, and this sounds like a great way to spend Sunday! How much does the event cost, or is it free of charge?

Lindsey Kiehn

Hi Lindsey,

It'll be great to have you. The only cost will be your dinner - which promises to be quite nice (a traditional mountain feast) - but it will be a huge spread so it may be consider by some as rather pricey (20,000 won). The KML is working on getting that cost down. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
tinker bell

i am in the same boat with lindsey O2 world sat and would love to go to this event on sunday.
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
tinker bell

Speaking of which has anyone found out anymore information on our little O2 world ice intro day thing?
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM
peace

I'd be up for 02 (unless this is my Kimjang day) and would be willing to demo what I know about ice climbing (mostly technique, but that's about all one could do in 02 anyway). . . though if there's ice nearby at that time (Surak?) and we can get enough tools, that might be better. Problem with a Saturday at 02 is its limited space. I believe they have lessons there at this time, so actually getting on any of the routes (not neccessary for a demo, but something everyone would want to try, I'd guess) might not be feasable. And I don't know how much I want to pay to sit or stand around the giant ice box! I wonder if people would be willing to pool tools and maybe go in shifts-- save on rentals and get in more practice. Of course, if there's a set time we could reserve it, all the better.
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil-mil
i am in the same boat with lindsey O2 world sat and would love to go to this event on sunday.

Okay, cool. I'll mark you down.

Please remember, everyone, that as this is the first year that we're organizing this event, it's rather exclusive regarding space - we're limited. So, please verify with certainty by at least a week before the event whether you can make it or not. That way, if there's anyone who really wants to go and can 100% make it, they won't miss out.

I wish everyone could be there! In fact, I spoke to Mr Cho (I got his full name: Cho Young-chang) this morning and he's already said that Gangbuk-Gu Jung is willing to support us again next year and establish a bigger venue. So, for this year, we're humble - next year, humble but in a bigger place.

An update:

We've secured another speaker. Ms Shin Min-kyoung, one of the cheif organizers of the Samgaksan International Mountain Festival will attend and give a talk regarding the Festival. She's a really nice lady and it should be nice to hear what is planned for next year's Festival. This year's Festival was not too bad, but there simply wasn't enough 'international' in that international festival.
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Snow Leopard

Just a bump to keep the knowledge of the day fresh in everyone's minds! It promises to be a very informative, inspiring, relaxed event.

We're trying to secure a bigger venue to suit more numbers, so let us know if you're keen. Again, promises to be a good time.