Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Seorak Sender

Hi

Looks like I'll be travelling from Samcheok to Seoul and then from Seoul to Seonunsan on the Friday.

Any chance I could meet up with those folks travelling from Seoul?
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:14 AM
peace

Jason-- 3:40. . .you can call 02)1330 for exact bus times (every 20-50 minutes 7-7 depending on when you go.

Jade-- that will be a trek. . . we'll make sure it's worth your while. . .
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
peace

a recap (from the old thread)

Direct busses to Seonunsan run from Gwangju, Jeongeup and Gochang. Busses leave Gwangju for Seonunsa (the temple is Seoununsa. . . so the busses may be labled as such!) at 8:50, 10:20, 11:50, 1:15, 2:50 and 4:15.
From Jeong-eup it's 7:10, 11:00, 2:50 and 4:30. Busses head more frequently from both of these (and more) to Gochang, where busses leave to the park regularly.

I'll probably head out Thurs PM, but if people need, I can make a Fri PM pick-up at Gochang. As long as the alcohol isn't flowing (I'd let Michael drive if he's here and I've been drinking^^) I can pick-up!

The campgrounds, hotels, minbaks and youth hostel are all clustered near the entrance to the park, so finding us from there is no problem.

Trains and busses from various areas can be found via the link on the left side of this site ("train schedule" and "Korea travel") or by calling 02)1330 for help in English.

Busses from Seoul Express Bus Terminal run to Gochang every 20-50 minutes from 7AM-7PM. Dongducheon people will probably go through Seoul. Trains from Seoul to Jeongeup leave from Yongsan station (30 or so a day and into the night!). There are no trains to Gochang, but if you arrive in Jeongeup and need a bus to Gochang, the station and terminal are not too far apart.

The thing is. . . it's an adventure just getting there. . . and then-- wow-- you are in this incredible park with incredible climbing! If it rains, there's still a temple, a stone-carved Buddha, a noraebang and a sauna in the park (the sauna closes kinda early, though. . . 6 or so). I'll bring the "Mountaineers: Freedom of the Hills" playing cards, too^^ The youth hostel and campgrounds get wifi, and I'll bring a climbing video or two, so no bowing out due to weather (but it will be sunny, anyway!!)

From Changwon there are just two busses a day (2:10 and 5:00) to Gwangju, but you can piece together busses if these aren't convenient (and I checked these online, so the info may not be 100%).
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Seorak Sender

I'm off work around 5 on Friday and live in Suji. Anyone planning on leaving from Seoul Friday night?
-New and need so guidance-
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Wonju-new

I am coming out of Wonju and I will have to do PT. Any idea how best to get there? Would I have to go through Seoul?
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM
peace

Bruce, if you're PTing, it might save time to go through Daejeon (there are 10 busses from 6:30AM to 8PM from Wonju, and they take 2 hours) and then 3 busses (from 11:20-6:30, taking 1:40) from there you can follow earlier directions. Call 02)1330 for exact times and any other help in English (maybe they know a shorter route)

Directions from Seoul are below, but maybe you can meet Jade or some of the guys from Dongducheon or Jason. If you have 3-4 people, a taxi to the park (from Gochang) is not unreasonable.
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Jiri Jammer

Hey,

Does anybody know how far Jeong-up Station is from Seonunsan, in terms of how much a cab would be?

Cheers
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey,

I just sent an email to everyone who said they were planning on leaving from Seoul to coordinate our way there. If you didn't receive the Email, PM me so I can add you to the list.

Jason
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Seorak Sender

There's no way I can catch the bus at express terminal Friday night because of my schedule so if anyone from Seoul is looking to leave Saturday morning let me know.
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
peace

Louise, I think it's kinda far from Jeong-eup. I'm guessing W40-50,000? Busses run to Gochang fairly regularly and I think fairly late from Jeong-eup. What time were you planning to get in?