Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:02 PM
verticalcult

Autumnal 2009 Meet and Greet Travel/ Ride

So dear friends, herein post if you have questions about traveling o the M&G, a car with space to share, advice or whatever.
PLEASE first look at the Ganhyun link:
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climb...d=22&sort=name

and the Korea Travel link:
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...sportation.jsp

Ganhyeon was chosen as Seonunsan had the Spring M&G and though Yongseo is big enough, it's hard to access by public transport and lacks facilities (toilets etc) and beginner friendly climbs with no snakes. Hope people can understand that, and don't take it as dissing their fave/ local crag.

OK so post away here what space you have in your car, or when and where you can meet groups to share bus/ train rides (this can be really useful for new members!). There is also a thread about food supplies, please look at that also.

I'm leaving from Daejeon on Thursday 15th (or maybe Friday morning 16th) in the morning, and returning on Sunday 18th late afternoon. I'll have room for 3 extra people at most (I'm anticipating Matt, Josh, Brandon, Kevin, Diana, et.al) to jump at these seats...but 1st in first served! Post here/ pm me if you want a seat.

Eli might also be coming up from Daejeon and he has a car. I'll get him to post his vacancies too.
Unread 10-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Seorak Sender

Hey, I just moved to Korea 1 month ago, and really don't know any climbers in the area! My name is Covey. I have been climbing for about 3 years, but only about 3 months of that has been sport (I usually am an avid boulderer!)

I would love love love to meet up with all of you out there, but am not versed in Korea's public transportation, except for the seoul/Incheon subway and rail system. If there is anyone that would like to maybe plan meeting up with me for a little help and an introduction, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a full sport setup, but no cams or peices I just couldn't bring everything with me! I also couldn't fit my crash pad in my suitcase, haha. But I will bring everything I have (including all of my backpacking gear).

Any advice, or a friendly helping hand would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Unread 10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Jiri Jammer

I'm going to take the 07:00 KORail train from Cheongnyangni (Seoul Subway line 1) to Ganhyeon on Saturday, which should arrive at 08:42.

Anyone who wants to join me turn up by 06:50; there is usually a queue at the counter.

The next train out leaves at 09:00, if you're late.

Also feel free to give me a call 010 5824 2085

Dan

Last edited by dlm : 10-07-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Bogue

Shared Taxi Friday night from Wonju??

Hello All!
I will be catching the 6 or 630 bus from Gwangju to Wonju on Friday night. This puts me in around 10:30 or 11:00 pm. Anybody going to be in the bus terminal at Wonju around the same time interested in going in on a taxi to the crag?? Looking forward to the climbing/mahem!
Bogue
010-5873-8100
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey! Im going into Wonju and will probably end up getting there around 10.30 ish on Friday! Taxi would be good! Although apparently there is two bus terminals in Wonju.. :-S i'm fairly new to Korea so it could be interesting!

My number is 010 5512 1985

Im also not sure what the deal is with accomodation, i have a sleeping bag but no tent, will i be able to get a motel or something else similar and cheap close to the climbing area or not!??

Let me know what you think!

SJ

Last edited by sara210 : 10-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm
I'm going to take the 07:00 KORail train from Cheongnyangni (Seoul Subway line 1) to Ganhyeon, which should arrive at 08:42.

Anyone who wants to join me turn up by 06:50; there is usually a queue at the counter.

The next train out leaves at 09:00, if you're late.

Also feel free to give me a call 010 5824 2085

Dan

Dan... What day are you talking about heading out there?
Unread 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Jiri Jammer

I'm going on Saturday and I edited the above post too.

I always forget something...
Unread 10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
verticalcult

Quote:
Im also not sure what the deal is with accomodation, i have a sleeping bag but no tent, will i be able to get a motel or something else similar and cheap close to the climbing area or not!??

The weather will be getting kinda nippy at night by then (is now!) so a tent would be a boon...the old summer trick of sleeping free under the stars is gonna be out That said, there are usually a few spare tent spaces etc, and Min-baks abound. If you dunno what a min-bak is:
It's a bit like a back-packers dorm room, that you rent out. It has blankets, heated floor and pillows, a TV, gas cooker and (usually) a bar fridge and bathroom (toilet + shower). You pay by the room and by how many people....you can usually find a group of other KOTRers who are "min-bakking it" and split the costs with them. Bring a pad if you dont like hot, hard floors and a sleeping bag (always more people than blankets). Costs are from 25,000won a room/ night to 60,000won a room/ night a room depending on size, facilities and time of year....this usually breaks down to about 10-15,000won a person/ night.

Ganhyeon min-baks are within 100m of the crag, and though they can be a tad noisy (depends who you doss with) they are great.
Again I'd advise camping dudes and dudettes to pitch camp up at the far end, not in the car-park near the crag bridge...we'll be a big group, the car-park gets super noisy and busy and we'll have more room to do our thing at the far end (new toilet block and stuff there now).
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Seorak Sender

Legend! So if i just rock up on Friday night with a sleeping bag ill survive! :-)
Unread 10-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Seorak Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm
I'm going on Saturday and I edited the above post too.

I always forget something...

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

I will very likely be joining you! I have gotten down your number, so please expect a call that may sound something like this... "So.... I just got off the subway, and I am looking where to board the train, I think I am lost" haha... well hopefully not.

Anyways... here is my number as well 010-7574-4689

Cheers

Covey