Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Seorak Sender

Thailand/Railay for Christmas break.

Does anyone have suggestions of where to stay in Railay for Christmas break?
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
peace

I always preferred Tonsai. . . in the past (I was last there in 2008) it wasn't possible to book online, but there are several options once you are there. . . maybe book a more pricy place (or somewhere further, like Ao Nang) and then check out what's available when you get there. Getting pricier and more cramped on the penninsula evey year.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Seorak Sender

Need one more person in my room on Tonsai beach.

I have a reservation at the Dream Valley Resort on Tonsai beach that needs to be confirmed soon. If someone wants to split this room with me let me know. The dates are December 24- January 1. The price is approx $200 per person for 8 nights. Includes bungalow, 2 single beds, breakfast, shower, fan/aircon and other basics.
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:06 AM
climbing the grid

Dream Valley's too fancy for me! I really like Andaman, right next to it. Paid closer to 250 baht (closer to $8) per night for my half of the bungalow with the same kind of amenities. Dream valley is definitely the most upscale thing around, and no one else takes reservations to my knowledge.
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Seorak Sender

Okay, so I guess my wife and i are going to check out Dream Valley then. Carly, we're going to be there Dec 17 to Jan 9. I guess two people is too many to split a room with you?
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Seorak Sender

Change of plans. Everyone is telling me DV is too expensive and I can find somewhere else for a better price. I am looking into places now, I will let you know.
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Seorak Sender

Accomodations at Christmas

Yeah, you know while I don't want to overpay, I also am past my days of sleeping in nasty places just to save a few bucks. I just want a clean place, maybe with some AC and a fridge for some beers and no snakes in my bed! HA, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find, eh???
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
climbing the grid

something to note: There are no power lines running to the peninsula, and at least in Tonsai, the power is on generators; most places only have electricity between 6PM or 7PM and sunrise. I doubt even Dream Valley has its own fridges, and most bungalows may only have fans. I was there in February and I never even needed to turn on the fan, so i think A/C is unnecessary anyways.

I wrote a small guide to the area, although it certainly doesn't cover everything: http://griddable.com/?p=5555
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Seorak Sender

During the high season it may be tough to locate a place to stay for much less money. Tonsai is great if your main purpose is climbing, but if you are looking for a mixture of beach and climbing I might suggest Railey East or West. Ac is really not needed if you are in the jungle or on the mountainside which most lower cost places are. Railey Garden view is nice but a long way from everything. The two diamond resorts are crap(speaking from personal experience) ..

Lastly, we will likely be there as well around new years..
Unread 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Seorak Sender

Hey everyone, change of plans. I bought a flight for Yangshuo, China for Dec 24-31. Let me know if anyone wants to meet me there or know of a good place to stay, friends in the area ect....
010-9950-7625