Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Seorak Sender

visiting Korea early Oct, want to climb!

Hi all, I'm headed to the Pyongtaek area for a few weeks for work and I'll have a couple of free weekends, Oct 4/5 and 11/12, during which I'd like to try some Korean granite.

If anyone needs a partner or wouldn't mind me joining your group, please let me know! I'm primarily a trad climber but enjoy all types. Lead ability is in the 5.8-9 range and following a bit harder.

I'm not very familiar with the public transportation (or the climbing destinations for that matter), but I know I could easily make it up to Seoul and would be happy to find my way elsewhere.

A potential partner or even just advice on how to get out for a weekend would be much appreciated.
Dave
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Aggressive Sheep

come join us at Maisan this weekend! it's not granite, but very odd (and fun) conglomerate (super easy to super hard). contact shagymb on this site to get the pyeontaek bus beta and the maisan thread for the 'getting to maisan' beta.
Unread 09-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Seorak Sender

Thanks ricardo. If I can make it I'll look for your faded red clown car and introduce myself =P

Out of curiosity, is Bukhansan a recommended destination? I hiked there last year and was in awe of the rock but turned off by the crowds.
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
verticalcult

Totally Bukhansan is a major climbing destination...mostly trad cracks, slab and granite sweeps. A few of the climbs there were even put up by Yvon Chouinard when he was in Korea on his military service. Look in the search climbs tool (at left) for Insubong, Seoninbong and Dobongsan areas. There is also lots of bouldering there River Bed Boulders being a KOTR developed area (I believe).
Anyways you should swing on down to Maisan as it's a great little place too.
Unread 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Climber of Rocks

Heyo, my dad's in Pyeongtaek, so I make it up to the area on occasion. Is there a way to contact you and we can make it outside, if even for one day?
Unread 10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Seorak Sender

Those Bukhansan areas look great, Suraksan as well. And none of this stuff is too far, good deal. I should have looked into this way earlier!

Heather, that sounds good, I'll PM you with my info.
Unread 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM
verticalcult

Dave, great to see you downthere at Maisan. Sorry you only had time for a few short climbs. The folks in Osan area who wuill be going to Ganhyeon next weekend are Brandon (nomadicmind) and Kapo (kapo). You can send them a pm via KOTR or e-mail them maybe. Click on their names in the members list or members who have visited KOTR in last 24 hours link at the bottom of the page and you can get their detals etc. Top guys and they should be able to sort you out with travel and such to Ganhyeon crag.