Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Seorak Sender

Looking for advice!

Hi everyone,

First of all, this is a great site!

We're planning on visiting S Korea for April/May and were looking for some advice. We'll be cycling between climbing sites as we have been doing across Asia for the last 16 months and we're on the look-out primarily for long trad multi-pitch routes.

Seoraksan NP looks ideal but I've read a couple of sources online about it being closed to climbing due to fire risk until May 15th? We're also concerned about the weather during the time we're in S Korea.

Can anyone give us some advice on where to go in April/May for granite trad? As many cracks as possible and up to 5.12a would be ideal, we climb mostly in the 11's but appreciate classics of any grade

thanks in advance for the collective knowledge!

Adam (Britain) and Noémie (France)
Unread 03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
johnmclain

Hi there, I'm planning to go to Bukhansan in May where I think the weather is good due to my friend's request, we've been through some adventures lately with Josua Tree and it's really fun they are very good like you won't regret you had them in company, anyways you can check Bukhansan out and see if you like. And hey if you ever came close to CA feel free to contact Josua Tree you won't regret it I promise. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-31-2018, 10:58 PM
peace

Bukhansan (Seoul) and Seoraksan are excellent granite trad, though a permit is needed for Seoraksan (easily attained). Buchae Bawi in Busan also has decent granite trad. Meureung Valley, near Donghae south of Seoraksan on the east coast has some awesome cracks (though maybe not granite).

As for biking-- Korea has an amazing bike tour program. You can buy a bike-passport for W4,000 (includes a map in Korean). The main routes are Incheon to Busan; the 4 rivers, around Jeju Island, and the east coast (starting near Seoraksan). You can collect stamps and earn stickers (and medals) and there are plenty of rest areas (bathrooms, water. . .), free compressed air stations (esp on Jeju), bike-tels (accomodations esp set up for bikers; there are also lots of camp grounds, hotels, motels and such along the routes). They are pretty well marked, and pass tourist attractions. Google 4 rivers bike routes or stop at one of the many stations along the paths for guidebooks or more info. The (Korean only) navigation app Naver Maps has the bike routes.
Unread 04-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Seorak Sender

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
Bukhansan (Seoul) and Seoraksan are excellent granite trad, though a permit is needed for Seoraksan (easily attained)...

Thanks Skinsk,

I saw there could be some closures around this time of year due to fire risk (in the climate/weather paragraph here link: https://www.summitpost.org/seoraksan/729739)

Is this true?

Also, I was looking at the knps site for more info about permits, it's around 8000won a day per person? is there a way to reduce this that you know of?

Thanks for all the info already!