Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM
send train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosahlah
Danielle has a great idea. Do both. Night in Seoul, followed by day in kanhyeon. Best of both worlds. I'm down for both.

That's the idea, but people will also have the option of hitting up tons of other crags in the area too. I'm sure most of the local crags would have a crew at them the next day. I'd be glad to take people to the campsite boulders for those wanting to check em out, and I'm pretty sure Danielle and a crew would hit Kanhyeon. There is a LOT of trad in the Seoul area as well, there's a little something for every taste.
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:14 PM
aka, The Griz or just Jake

I've been biting my tongue on this issue and it's really starting to hurt, so I'm going to biting it and let it loose.

First off, I support the traditional style M&G's. Camping and climbing go hand and hand in my book as well as the campfire, food and drinks that go along with it (pretty sure that goes for the Korean climbers that I've meet at the crags as well!). The traditional crags for the M&G's have campsites and enough climbs to adequately accommodate large groups. In regards to accidents, they happen. It's an irrational, idealistic notion to think that you can prevent them. 1 noteworthy accident in how many years of M&G's with the number of people who climb is a pretty damn good track record.

Now with that being said I also support the party it up and climb in the city ideas like the Daegu Pretzl Frock that are being thrown around. A couple of us here in Busan have been talking about putting something together in the near future.

Where my problem lies is in the timing of this proposed Seoul M&G. I think/feel that it's in very poor taste. If you don't want to do the Ganhyeon M&G then don't go, but there's probably a lot of people that would like to do both and planning it on the same weekend presents a very 'you're either with us or against us' mentality. There's no reason why it can't be held a week or two later. I also find it interesting that the only alternative option presented has been for Seoul.

There's my two cents.
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM

The first sentence should be:

I've been biting my tongue on this issue and it's really starting to hurt, so I'm going to stop biting it and let it loose.
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Mud? Low in fat high in fat? Mud.

Yes I it is my opinion, that here we have it. You are either with preserving the modicum of decorum in terms of wildlife preservation, low impact climbing, low visibility. Or you are against it, these are clear cut issues here.

Choose J's way or Choose the silly way. Let's not beat about the bush. Climbing is about getting out in nature. Doing a bit of the wild so to speak. Never in my born days. 20 odd years of climbing, have I ever heard such nonsense as this. Who in there right mind would want to be part of a group of people who climb and have little respect for their surroundings.

The right tool for the right job. 40 people camping together is not camping. It's a rave, which ever way you cut it. Folks there is no choice here, if you are a true climber, then you love nature. If you love nature why would you be out in it with 40 other people. To meet and greet them?

Camping out in nature is not the right tool. Clearly!
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Former Action Guy

I love it when I'm preached to.
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Former Action Guy

BTW, cigarettes are bad for you, and man-bags are gay.
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
send train

GUYS! hold on, there is no need to create a rift here. all views are valid. the idea of the origional M&G is awesome. AND there is definitely a need to start thinking about our numbers. i simply proposed an idea that came about from a group brain storming.

i would love to see small regional meet and greets continue. there is no need for it to stop completely. i was just offering an option that would work well when we want to bring a minimum of 45 climbers into an already crowded crag. (that's conservative, the numbers grow every season)

there is no us and them, don't be ridiculous, you've missed the point completely. i was trying to get feedback about an idea that has already been circulating.

i also felt this may bring out some of the die hard boulderers and tradies that wouldn't otherwise want to lose an entire weekend to an over crowded crag. new people may want to meet them too. right now those groups are hardly represented (if at all).

yes, griz. my timing was bad. we had talked about the urgency to post the idea less than 24 hours before the M&G thread started. bad timing, but the longer we wait, the harder it is to propose such an idea. safety was just one example. i love a good injury as much as the next guy, so i hope that didn't come across as my main point. it's the ever growing climbing population and our limited space.

i'm done with this for now, people seem unable to talk about these ideas from either side of the table. the meet and greet will no doubt continue at kanhyeon, but hopefully the numbers will be slightly smaller now. another option will be given for another event. and no seoul was not our only idea, we also thought daejeon was more central but unfortunately none of those i've talked to know much about it. i also heard that some guys wanting to raise money for the bolt initiative may want to join a M&G in seoul (or elsewhere) for a huge country wide get together. this will no doubt take more planning and time.
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Jiri Jammer

Tingling!

So much drama makes me tingle!
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Sure there must be some zenophobic locals peeved their next route is covered with naemsae waygukins
Quote:
all the euro hippies that decend on Smith Rock every year are part of its attraction.
Quote:
the stampede of round-eyes + the herd of locals
Quote:
but isnt crowds and Korea kinda synonymous?
Quote:
and man-bags are gay.
To mosahlah: Please be less offensive in these forums.
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Hey Choss,

I'm picking up what you're throwing down and I appreciate your decorum. The last thing that I want is to cause a rift, hence stating the option to attend both. When you guys and gals settle on a date please let me know as I'd love to attend and get my climb on up there. Also, as I noted in the previous post a couple of us folks down here in Busan have been talking about throwing a little event together and would like to make sure not to hold it on the same weekend.

Cheers