Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 06-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Working it out

Question Camping Gear Concerns

Hi all,

I'm beginning to get stuff together for my move to the ROK, and I'm wondering about my camping gear. Are KOTR weekend camping/climbing trips frequent? I'm trying to get a feel for what camping items would be especially helpful. Any suggestions would be helpful!

nicole
Unread 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
peace

frequency

well, the trips are frequent. . . but it's up to you how frequently you'll join or start one. Camping happens more in good weather, and generally there are options (rooms, etc) for those who don't want to camp. When the weather is nice, you can even sleep under the stars. Tents, stoves, mess kits, packs, even sleeping bags can be found (off-brands and local especially) cheap in Korea, so you can buy as you need. You might consider bringing your therma-rest and repair kit, if you are partial to those. Foam pads (roll up or fold up) are more common here, and can be had fairly cheaply. If you have a favorite backpack or two, bring them (otherwise you can get some here, but not really sized for women). . . they'll be occassions for various sizes. Chacos are very pricy here; you can find cheap off-brand boots/shoes but insoles are poor and they just don't last as long. Waterproofing stuff is also very expensive here-- moreso than at home! Sometimes in Seoul I see the plastic-type power-bar, so a box of cliff bars will susatain you (a week?) or make you enough freinds to sustain you for several!

OK, I figure someone else can pick up from there
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
verticalcult

Hey there avenue,
bring a sleeping bag or two if you want. Winter camping here is possible and I thoroughly reccommend it. Jiri San Nat Park and SolakSan Nat Park are great multi-dayers any seasons, but winter is special. Winters can be pretty chilly, with overnight temps down to -25C (sorry I dunno farenheit) without wind. But the summers (like now) are humid stinkers, monsoonal rain patterns and up to 36C (102F I think) so your winter bag would cook you. Sure you can pick up summer weight dodgey bags at disposal stores etc for under $20-30US, but if you want to bring one that actually compresses...
White gas (like MSR whisperlites et. al.) is available, but gas cylinder style cookers are cheaper and much easier to fuel.
KOTR is a loose alliance so there are actually few "formal" outings but heaps of get togethers every week by various individuals...most are happy to share tents if you need...bring a bivvy bag if you plan on solo trips or like privacy.
Electricity in Korea is 240Volts too just in case that helps.
Where are you moving to in Korea? Seoul? Busan? Daejeon? Daegu?
Summmer here also has lots of mosquitoes, especially in the hills, so vaccinations (Japanese encephalitis, HepA/B, etc) are a grand idea...as is bringing some insect repellent lotion. The hiking is pretty well trailed, but good hiking boots are a lot better than trainer style for any multiday stuff. If you like ice-climbing, or want to try it (available indoors year round in Seoul!) bring your ice gear...it's expensive to buy here! Camera services are pretty good...digital or film/slide, so bring you camera.
Korean brands are as good a quality usually as anything western (for camping gear). Black Yak, Trango (Korea), Ecoroba, K2, Summit, all make nice tents, bags, packs and so on. Anything imported is expensive.
If you want to bring any special freeze dried/ camp foods from home do so they are rare here. But most camp sites and trails are very well supplied with cheap Korea (and snack style) foods.
Anyways, welcome to Korea, to KOTR and hope you have a great time here. Oh! A phrase book (like lonely planets) or prior attempt at picking up a wee bit of Korean is also a great idea. Don't worry it's a pretty easy language to get the basics of...the writing/ reading (not the understanding though!) should take you only a few weeks if you make any effort.

OK good luck!
Unread 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Damn, that hurts!

For your gear, I would say to bring your sleeping bag, tent and backpack. Everything else is readily available for purchase. Don't forget outdoor jackets for all seasons, gloves and hiking boots. They are available here, but I still prefer the ones made in the USA. Big name brand stuff can get pricey..... when it's real and not the fake stuff. There are some great outdoors here....mostly at the National Parks in my opinion...but it's not the Wisconsin Dells, that's for sure. This country is 70% mountain and everything else is crammed in the 30% region so be prepared for it!
Unread 06-26-2006, 09:14 AM
peace

Well, in terms of concessionaires and kitsch. . . Korean National Parks Are a bit like the Dells!! Provincial Parks (more on par!) are quite. . . though I have yet to spy Duckboats in the ROK, there are Swans at Maisan! OK
Unread 06-26-2006, 09:15 AM
peace

Well, in terms of concessionaires and kitsch. . . Korean National Parks Are a bit like the Dells!! Provincial Parks (more on par!) are quite similar. . . though I have yet to spy Duckboats in the ROK, there are Swans at Maisan! OK