Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Seorak Sender

I'm a mountain girl from Canada and I just moved to Korea two weeks ago, I would like to find a climbing partner for the Seoul area, someone of an intermediate level. I would like to find a partner who's a girl b/c my climber partner at home was a girl, but I would be open to a guy who's willing to have a girl partner. I'm 24 and I'm about at an intermediate level. I just learned to lead. I can climb 510a comfortably. I would like to have a partner around the same level.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you!

Erin
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:32 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

welcome to the site, Erin

i dont know any girl climbers in seoul but do know a few that fit your description between seoul and daejeon. unless you are only climbing in seoul, it would be worth contacting them. they are only about an hour or so from seoul. let me know if you want to contact them

later
eric
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Seorak Sender

Erin, I've an American friend in Seoul, and she'd love to have a female climbing partner. We've been looking for a local climbing scene, and are both beginners (yes, we have our own gear). I'm a bit out of Seoul but she's right there in the city. Give me the word and I'll tell her to write you.
Joe
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Jiri Jammer

Erin,

I don't meet many of your criteria for a climbing partner, except that I'm an intermediate level climber and i'll be is Seoul.

I'm not due in country til next month but I'll be super keen to meet climbng folk and do that thing we all like to do.

for reference I'm a 21 y/o Australian guy with mosta my own stuff and a fair idea of how to use it.
Unread 01-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Seorak Sender

Hi Eric,

Yes I would be interested in having the contact info of the girls you were talking about... send them my way =)
Unread 01-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Seorak Sender

Hi Joe,
Please do tell your friend to write to me. I would appreciate that greatly.
Unread 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Seorak Sender

Hi Colin,
Let me know when you get to Seoul and if you're still interested in climbing.
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:57 AM
peace

When I lived in Seoul, there were many small climbing gyms around the city, as well as a few outdoor walls when I left. One of the easiest for me to describe from memory was just outside of Seoul, at Anyang Stadium. That is where I met a few climbers, and suddenly the whole scene opened (no foreigners, though). There are many excellent Korean women climbing, and the Koreans are very welcoming of visitors. Most of the outdoor walls are free, and the gyms cost about W35,000 a month or W5-10,000 for a visit. I've found both all over the country, but this was after getting more connected.

My gym was in Yongdu-dong, though I often went to one in N. Seoul on the blue line or Hexa Wall (off hand I can't give directions!). . .Man and Mountain Mag puts out a gym guide (or did) annually, so thumbing through some old issues might be handy (helps if you can read Korean. . .someone in Seoul can help if you can't).

Finally, find the climbing shops at Tongdaemun and Namdaemun Markets and ask! If you can get the train from Chongnyangi to Kan-hyon (near Wonju), the place will be flooded on weekends and you can hook up there (there is a bus from Wonju Station-- again, I'd have to find old notes to consult, but I believe Kan-Hyon is on the list of busses near the stop outside the train station-- in Korean!). Once you're in, you're in and your # of climbing friends will grow exponentially. Also, gyms generally go somewhere every weekend. . .Sununsan and Kan-hyon were the usual places, and then you can get a ride. Typically each person pays W5-15,000 for the whole weekend, it is pooled together and covers meals, a min-bak if necessary, etc.

When you talk to Koreans, be sure to differentiate between technical climbing (am-byok tah-gi) and mountain climbing. Pointing to gear at a local shop should clarify this, or find a picture in one of the climbing mags. If you can attend a competition (there are many), it's another good way to meet people.

I'll be in Korea (but not Seoul) by the end of Feb, so feel free to contact me and I'll try to find out better gym info!

Last edited by skinsk : 05-23-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Seorak Sender

that's so much for the info that's awesome!! I really appreciate it!
Erin
Unread 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Jiri Jammer

Heya,
couple artifical (and free) walls in the city for mid week training. I try to go mornings.

Trad climbing in a couple places. I have loads of gear if you want to crack climb.

Fair number of sport areas outside of Seoul.

I need a partner cause mine are hurt or in process of leaving. I'm a guy.

I want to start going out in a couple weeks. One place has sun all day and is do'able with a high pressures system.

Drop me a line if you need to find some gear shops and such. Cheers.