Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Trip Reports

Unread 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
verticalcult

Visitations from the old schoolers!

Well by geez, by jingo, by crikey! What a great and sweet week of reunions and flooding back memories, good times and great rock it's been! With the return visit of masters Rick and Mike, from Japan, all has been righted with the world...no, I exaggerate not. ALL!
This marks an almost unnoticed historical first for KOTRers....that is the return to Korea of members for a climbing holiday! Yes others have left, and come back to live/ work again....but to return to KOrea, as a climbing destination in it's own right....this is a first!
So, into the fray plummetted our dear Sirs....taking on and finally laying to rest the Gorak route which by foul weather and fortune (but never by technical difficulty) had eluded our protagonistas on several, nay, many, too many! previous eandevours...Well done, very well done indeed. That you climbed from 10am til 10pm and bore an eerie off tail wander through a bogey-man field on the way out is simply stellar!
I feel quite sorry for those of us, myself very dadly included who missed sharing time up there with these strapping lads. At least I had them a day or so on the sunny flanks and forests of Daedunsan, where we had another 1st - a trip without an epic or mishap of any kind!
If you don't know these gents...well, that is your loss as they represent the old school of KOTR, of an age where trad was rad, where a meet and greet was max-ed out at 30 odd people and no-one biatched about the tee designs or cared too much about anything beyond the climb at hand. Not that the modern scene is in any ways inferior...it's different though and I feel crazily lucky to have lived in both generations....so really my thanks go out to all!
Now, platitudes aside and back-slaps...slapped, I really did have an awesome time catching up with the Rick and Mike team. Mike may very well be returning to KOrea for another tour of duty with the airforce based here, so if you are a trad/ adventure climber looking to hang with a great dude...get ready.
OK That's all, hope to see you all at the Ganhyeon Meet and Greet 16-18th. Climb on, climb hard, climb safe.
Unread 10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Jiri Jammer

i had the pleasure of meeting Mike and Rick, both are awesome guys. many thanks for squeezing the 4 of us into your car with all our gear and driving us into the park! bring back the age of trad is rad!
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Aggressive Sheep

i hope you all appreciate the truly stellar rock and varied climbing opportunities you have over there! more so, the climbing community (access provided by the heavyweight champion of the world) is extremely; 1) positive, 2)accessable, and 3) inviting. as a climbing newb in korea, i was told how unique the situation was, but didn't really see it until i left. enjoy it, love it, relish it!

jake, the stars seemed to align on daedunsan from the beginning all the way to running down the trail and picking up ma-KA on time. a super fine day and am looking forward to the next climb.

martyn, it was a pleasure meeting, hanging, and climbing with you as well. my door will open if you find yourself in okinawa (or wherever i am). thanks again for helping us out with the phone. (we did meet up with marissa)

cheers all!!
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Spandexed Sportclimber

Bummer I didn't get to jump on Insubong with you guys but it was fun shootin' the **** in the shelter and in Sokcho. Glad to hear Mike will be making it back to this funky little country, and Rick, hit us up if you're back this way.
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
peace

Quote:
where a meet and greet was max-ed out at 30 odd people
Rick was there long before we maxed out at 30 people!! and
Quote:
odd
people they were!!

Mike. . . I'm a heading back. . . come back. . .
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
velocity girl

To the old folks...

Ricardo and Mike, the blast from the past!

It was awesome to see you guys again...getting back on boulders...savouring wine and cloves on Sokcho beach with Marissa...hope to see you here again soon! Or else, whenever I make it out to Japan!^^

Jake, I wish we could have met up together, and that Sonia and Eric and a particular five or so other people could have come so we could have had a mini-reunion! Maybe next time! It would definitely be worth doing!..just to shoot the breeze and reminisce about some good times...(wow, I sound really...old...^^).

Sonia, do let me know if/when you come back! Miss you!^^

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:56 PM
peace

I know. . . that's the problem with KOTR!! Too many friends, who travel too much and not enough time to spend/climb with everyone!!