Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Catch you on the other side... of the Ocean that is.

So it is with a sad heart that I must say farewell.

After four years of working, playing and living on the Korean Peninsula I must say farewell. Though most of you probably don't know me do to the nature of the community here I am almost the end of an Era. Minus Jake and Dee I don't think there is anyone left from when I first started climbing here in Korea.

I wanted to say thanks to all those that have given me a catch and allowed me to share in there sends by having me give them a catch.

Thanks to Eric and Jake for creating and nurturing this site to what it is today. Who knows where I would be today if I had not found KOTR and climbing in Korea.

36 Days and counting and then the last flight out of Korea for me for a while. I will be back at some point even if it is just for a visit. Good luck to all and climb safe.

Later,

Mike
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Later Mike! It was awesome climbing with you! Thanks for all that you brought to the KOTR community.

Where are you heading now?

Eric
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Climb<암벽등반>

My friend Mike, I really hope all the four years of your working, playing and living in Korea will serve as a lasting memory of the happy times you shared with us. Good luck!
Dong-il
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
verticalcult

Mike mate! It is indeed the end of an era, and your leaving really will be heartily felt. Hard void to fill as both you and Heidi were such friendly faces to see out at the crags, gyms, M&G etc. I can only wish you all the very best for the future and pray that we get to see you again sometime. I'd love you to stay in touch and let us know where you guys are and how life is going. Thanks so much for all your friendship, fun times and advice over the years, we will miss you so much.
Ever your mates,
Jake and Kyung Ah
Unread 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I will be heading to the hole they call DC. I will be there for about a year and a half for schooling etc and then who knows. If you are planning on being in the Maryland or Virgina areas look me up.

Later,

Mike
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
...lost again...

Well, yes there are parts of going to DC that are quite unappealing, but there is climbing to be done there on real rock quite close...some that's much better climbing but a little farther: Carderock (just west of town), Sugarloaf Mtn (less than an hour west), Rocks State Park (north say 1.5 hours), Seneca (in WV couple hours), New River Gorge (also WV, 5 hour drive).

Make the most of where ever you end up every time you go somewhere new, I'd have much rather stayed in the DC/Baltimore area for the last two years of my career, but the military decided to bring me back to Korea. Maybe you'll get a chance to climb with my friends and family over there, and I'll get to climb with yours here. Want to switch?
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Aggressive Sheep

wow! the end of an era indeed!!
mike, it was a pleasure to launch my climbing passion with you and the OG crew. your superior belay caddy skills, friendship, and good nature have been sorely missed. if you and heidi can swing by okinawa on your way to your new home, we'll show you all that the island has to offer (i.e., killer limestone, DWS, etc). shoot me an email if you're interested.
cheers to mike!
-r
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:34 AM
peace

GOOD luck!!

Glad I checked in and saw this! Korea won't be the same. Mike, it was truly a pleasusre climbing with you, and being on the sharp end of some stellar belays! I really learned alot from you, and I value your friendship. Soooo many memories from Doderamsan (that car!) to Mokpo to Meets and Greets, multipitches, bailing on multipitches, succeeding on multi-pitches. . .modelling T-shirts, jimjjilliing, from veggie buffets to watching you eat the pig intestines~~ THANK YOU for everything!! I hope to catch up with you and Heidi wherever the waves of life take us. . . PEACE and LOVE and good luck on the move!
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
velocity girl

sooo...i haven't checked out the forums in awhile, and i didn't see this msg...sorry!

you rock and it was ALWAYS awesome to meet up with you, whether for a half-hour chat in the middle of seoul, boarding, climbing or what have you...thanks for always being positive, helpful and just plain kind. best of luck with everything!!!

hmmm...skinsk has got me to thinking (although i know that it's your wife Heidi that she's referring to, i'm always dee with her!^^)...kotr euro meet and greet? 2010? possible? i know you're all considering it now...^^ let's make it happen! i vote for spain in july and france in august...or, if by some fortunate circumstance i manage to quit my job, anywhere on the continent from july to december!^^

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Belay Caddy/Slave

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. You guys are what made being in Korea a great experience.

Cowboy,
I have already found a gym that looks like it will be close to work etc and can't wait to get out climbing in the states. That is great advise I have given to many a new arrival in Korea.

Rick,
Unfortunatly work and play schedules as well as a bum knee have conspired to make a trip to your little Island paridse as much as I would love to not work out.

Sonia,
I was deffently great and I know our paths will cross agian.

Dee,
I am totally in on the euro meet and greet next summer if I can work it in. i vote for Spain since I really dislike France and have never been to Spain.

Later,

Mike