Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Community > General Chat

Unread 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
peace

Leaving Korea

OK, so I think I am finally leaving Korea (at least for now, though sure to be back to visit or when the book comes out, etc) but I have accepted a job teaching at the City University of Seattle in Trencin, Slovakia-- pretty close to my cousins in Vienna and my sis in Graz, and with a lot of flexibility in schedule (I still have 4 day work weeks)

What this means will be spread out in many posts. First off, it's likely halloween weekend will be my last weekend in Korea, so if you were wavering or on the fense, please do your best to come out to Kanhyon. If you were thinking of doing something else, well, I would certainly rather you come out to Kanhyon anyway! I will be getting rid of lots of stuff, too. . .

My beloved Cha Cha will need a new owner. You'd need to come to Jeonju on a weekday to officially purchase her. She runs beautifully, but has a lot of miles on her and isn't exactly shiny new. She will come with an ice chest and a tarp and probably other random things. . .

I will need even more "remote" help on the book. . . mostly going to areas and double checking my photos match up with routes. . . .that you can find the routes/areas etc.

I will miss KOTR. . . and all of the people who have made this community the thriving and wonderful community that it is. You all have a place to stay in Slovakia-- there is tons of climbing-- over 100 routes right near where I'll be living! And I will still be SK in SK. . . just a different SK!
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Sonia,

You will be missed by all! You've given so much to the KOTR community. 107 new climbing areas and 921 photos are just the tip of the iceberg of your contribution to climbing and climbers in Korea.

I wish you the best of luck in all your adventures.

Eric
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Aggressive Sheep

good luck and take care sonia! i already said my "bye's" since i knew you were on your way out, but how 'bout a congratulations! sounds like a great gig.
thanks for taking in a newb way back when...we had some fun times exploring, getting lost, and of course climbing!
cheers!
-r
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
peace

Quote:
107 new climbing areas and 921 photos
dang. . . I really need to get a life!
Unread 10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
verticalcult

2nding all that has been said, KOTR would be a pale wan half shadow of what it is today without Sonia and all her submissions, encouragement and dynamism. We all really own you "SK in SK", an awful lot of thanks!
The new job sounds really groovy, and I hope it turns out to be even better than that. We will definitely, 100% guaranteed be up there for the Halloween party at the G. It will be a fitting place for a major farewell, though I have no doubt we shall be blessed enough to share a few more rope-lengths yet...who knows where? And there is the thrill in it all too!
Take care (in advance) and goodspeed to what lies next, your steady friendship, support and fire-twirling have left a mark on all of us. Cheers!
Unread 10-20-2008, 11:25 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsk
dang. . . I really need to get a life!
What are you talking about?! That is a life. You climbed at over 100 places and saw the entire country. Dude! That's awesome.
Unread 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM
velocity girl

that's right! sonia! you were part of the vanguard of korean climbing! you are like korean climbing royalty! my hat's off to you, girl!

congrats on the new job! slovakia! that's really close to awesome climbing! i'll be sure to send you a line when i go on eurotour 2009 or something like that!^^ we can meet up in france or something!

anyway, that's great news for you! but, we will miss you a lot back here in korea...you have made an insane amount of contribution to foreign climbers in korea, to kotr and as an ambassador between the foreign and korean climbing community...you will be missed...(ooh! i just had an idea! you should start sotr - slovakia on the rocks!^^)

kudos to you girl! hope to chat before you go!

'it doesn't have to be fun to be fun'. (alpinist heading up 'the south african' route in patagonia)
Unread 10-21-2008, 01:06 AM
peace

Quote:
and fire-twirling have left a mark on all of us
hey now! I may have gotten pretty close, but my twirling has never left a mark on anyone! not even me!
Quote:
"SK in SK"
one reason I feel good about the move. . . SK is Slovakia's internet and postal abreviation, so I get to keep SKinSK !

Stefan, Alex, Ross, me, then Dave. . . y'all'all can go Euro-hoppin with ex-KOTRs!