Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

KOTR is looking for a new owner. Are you a developer, a climber and have plans to stay in Korea for a while? If so, email me at [email protected]
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
YYZ

Halmae Bawi reopened

Halmae Bawi has been reopened. I was there on Wednesday and all but two or three bolts have been replaced and all the anchors are back.

A row of trees have been planted aside the pond so there is a bit more shade now. The restaurant has been razed and they appear to be building a large parking lot by the road. The assumption is they are building a new rest area and restaurant.

Greg
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
peace

woo-hooo. . . wonderful news! My gym had mentioned this to me (just weeks after I had asked and they said it was still closed!) so good to get verification!
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

That's great news! Just a reminder, be careful as the routes haven't been climbed in 2~3 years so the rock may be loose and the bolts may not have been checked. A few years of freezing and thawing could have had a negative impact on the site.
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Seorak Sender

oh, actually it's not opened. it's still closed. I went to Seonunsan last weekend, and my friends and I also wanted to go to Halmae bawi. but before we get there we wanted to make sure if it's really reopened since we didn't want to bring another Maisan situation. so, we kept asking other climbers there and one of them told us specific story about it. what he said was maybe some climbers went there and posted pictures on the website then landlord(or someone who manage that place) saw it. and he called them not to go to Halmae bawi. well, probably we'd better recheck and confirm about it. so, if anybody can get 100% sure answer then please let us know. I will also keep checking about this. well, let's remember "look before you leap"!!!
Unread 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Seorak Sender

hm, I got another story about Halmae Bawi last weekend. one of akdong member said it's opened now. well, I'm sorry if I make you guys confused, but I just wanted to clear about it with some other communities, then I got different story...if anyone can figure this out with other people then that will be great since thing's getting confusing now.
Unread 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
peace

I met some other local Jeonju-Jeonbuk climbers at my local wall this Sunday, and again got pretty mixed messages!! so Sunny, you are not the only one confused. . . no one seems to agree so I am guessing the bolts are back, and some clubs are climbing there. . . I'd be curious what the Mokpo clubs are saying?
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Seorak Sender

ARGHHHH! Can anyone get a final answer?? I have asked my friends in Seoul but it seems like they don't know and maybe...don't care anymore.

Or maybe can anyone give me a number to call? I can speak some Korean.

Thanks.
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Seorak Sender

now maybe I can give you an answer. I heard that Halmae bawi is totally open now. I saw pictures that gwang-ju club went there and enjoyed climbing. I just checked about it with one from that club. he said "YES". I also wanted to go there, and I guess it's time to go there now!
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Jiri Jammer

The bolts and anchors being back up should have been the first clue
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
peace

and it's in the new guidebook. . . it does appear re-opened now. . . a little hope for those of us Jeon-buk climbers who miss Maisan!